• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Draft Positional Value

I keep going back and forth on what the steelers will do. It's a new regime so they may go in unexpected directions. My guess is this is the order they will be looking at for pick 17

1. Any of the top 3 CBs, Porter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, or any other CB they have a 1st round grade. CB is such a huge need. They absolutely have to get one in their first 3 picks. If there's one available at pick 17, i think you have to pull the trigger and not mess around.

2. First round grade OT. If the CBs are off the board, it should mean an OT slipped and is available. They are committed to improving the OL. A true top line OT could be a final piece.

3. Edge rusher. If they don't like the CBs or OTs available, then Edge will almost certainly be the best player available. If Weidl is bringing that Eagles philosophy then you can't have enough pass rushers. They gave Watt the big money. They probably can't afford to pay Highsmith when he's a free agent. Get depth now and a new starter down the line

4. Brian Branch. He's versatile and can play slot CB.

5. Brian Bresee. Immediate depth and eventual replacement for Heyward.

6. Trade. I can see trade maybe being 4 on the list if they aren't high on Branch or Breese.
If they don't get a tackle at 17, I don't think one is going to happen. I know a lot of Harrison to the Steelers at 32, but they haven't shown much interest and I don't think he's what they're looking for. Also, if Harrison is as good as what scouts say, he should be gone before 32. After the top 5, you're only looking at Dawand Jones and I think there'll end up being better prospects.

If they don't get a tackle at 17, I don't think one is going to happen. I know a lot of Harrison to the Steelers at 32, but they haven't shown much interest and I don't think he's what they're looking for. Also, if Harrison is as good as what scouts say, he should be gone before 32. After the top 5, you're only looking at Dawand Jones and I think there'll end up being better prospects.
This draft is very very deep in tackles.
The issue is that most of tge teams they have taking tackles high ( over us) in these mocks don’t exactly need Left tackles, they mostly need RT and have glaring other holes to fill. Does Chicago ignore all there deficiencies on D to get a stud LT and hope their current LT works at RT, or do they draft a natural RT in the third and take defensive help high in the first… does Tennessee grab a LT after giving ten million dollars to a guy in ufa or do they just draft a Dawand Jones in the second and get the wr or QB they want long term…

Harrison is in a weird spot… he is consistently in that top batch of tackles, but he doesn’t seem to have that super elite upside the others do…but probably a higher floor at LT… he probably goes to one of the teams in the bottom third of the first round who actually needs a LT… but the same flawed logic that drafts the other guys high seems to bog him down..

Mock drafts usually are too reliant on internal bias of rankings… none are ever even remotely close to what will happen in the draft… they are just offseason fillers… in any case if the top six tackles are gone too early, there are like five or six with real potential later in the draft rankings… I think we get one somewhere in this draft regardless