• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

No single gender clubs at Harvard, so sorority shutting down

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
How about this policy from Harvard -
The College’s policy, which took effect with the Class of 2021, bars members of single-gender final clubs, fraternities, and sororities from holding leadership positions in recognized student groups, captaining varsity athletic teams, and receiving College endorsement for a number of prestigious fellowships.

Awesome. Join an all-male fraternity (a few years ago one might ponder - there's another kind?) and you can't be captain of the football team.

Universities are already muzzling dissenting political speech, and now they are using the religion of diversity as the justification for abridging the freedom to assemble.

This sorority said **** you -
While Delta Gamma is the first group to close in response to the sanctions, other single-gender social groups have made fundamental changes to club policies — including membership composition — to avoid the College’s penalties.

I'm sure there will be more to come, the policy is having the desired effect -
Interest in sorority rush, however, sank to an historic low this past academic year. The number of College students aiming to join sorority recruitment in the spring fell by approximately 60 percent from previous years. The 2018 rush marked the first time the sanctions affected some sorority hopefuls.

The potential impact of the College’s sanctions on all-female social groups at Harvard has been a topic of controversy for years. In March, College administrators announced they would not pursue a previously proposed “bridge” program that would have allowed traditionally all-female social groups a longer period of time to transition to gender-neutral membership.

Of course not. That's not how the university wants to help..

Instead, Harvard announced that it would allocate resources and personnel — including the Harvard College Women’s Center — specifically to help women’s groups make the move to co-ed status.

In a statement, Harvard spokesperson Rachael Dane did not directly respond to Delta Gamma’s comments about the College’s sanctions.

“Harvard College seeks to build a community in which every student can thrive, and it does so on the foundation of a set of shared values including belonging, inclusion, and non-discrimination,” Dane wrote. “The policy on Unrecognized Single-Gender Social Organizations (USGSO) is designed to dedicate resources to those organizations that are advancing principles of inclusivity, while offering them supportive pathways as they transform into organizations that align with the educational philosophy, mission, and values of the College.”

They will be happy to send someone over to explain why some weirdo wants to join their fraternity or sorority and tell you that you need to accept them and how to treat them.

Last edited:
Meh, my college didn't allow frats and sororities. I never saw what the big deal was. At my dorm we created our own called I Tappa Kegga.

It caught a sorority unintentionally. But we know this rule was aimed at eliminating all male spaces where the evil patriarchy might fester.