• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Noll's last game

of course. I know Tomlin reached out to the Steelers and told them to draft Jamain Stephens. back in the 90s. and of course had to take a dump when they rebuilt the oline the last few years

Thats because Tomlin picked Kendrick Green. Lloyd said so.
Thank the Lord up above that someone else picked Broderick Jones and Troy Fautanu to help patch things up as a result of Tomlins debacle.

Last edited:
Rooney once revisited the idea of having a cheerleading squad, but Tomlin turned down the offer of becoming their coach.

Lloyd told me that too.

I'd take those late 80's-early 90's Steelers teams any day over the crap Tomlin puts out. Those teams played HARD. Give me a team with Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, Hoge, Foster, Lipps, John Jackson, Dirt Dawson, Haselrig, Tunch, Thomas Everette, Aaron Jones.

Those guys are pretty old now, GL, and at least one of them is no longer among us. I don't think they could form a good NFL team today.

Things are going to run their course now and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Everyone wants the same objective and that's being the last man standing at the end.

Things are going to run their course now and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Everyone wants the same objective and that's being the last man standing at the end.

We as fans, get to enjoy the twists and turns of the road to a championship.

Salute the nation

of course. I know Tomlin reached out to the Steelers and told them to draft Jamain Stephens. back in the 90s. and of course had to take a dump when they rebuilt the oline the last few years
Hmm it seems Tomlin was buddy buddy with jamaine Stevens too.

Those guys are pretty old now, GL, and at least one of them is no longer among us. I don't think they could form a good NFL team today.
Gee really? How about the players from the 70's? Can they still play?

Don't think so, and several greats from that decade are no longer even with us (Franco, Webster, Courson, Russell, Greenwood, etc.)

Tough to field a competitive NFL team with dead guys and guys in their 80's.

Some noteworthy, well-known players (Woodson, Lloyd, Hoge), some not-so-well-known (Richard Shelton 3 ints, Jerrol Williams, 4 sacks just this game)

Noll's last game, beating the Browns. So appropriate. What is little-known (remembered) is Noll took this same basic team on a playoff run the season before, beating the (very talented) Oilers in their house before barely losing to Elway's Broncos. Those were back in the days when we won some playoff games still. I'd take those late 80's-early 90's Steelers teams any day over the crap Tomlin puts out. Those teams played HARD. Give me a team with Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, Hoge, Foster, Lipps, John Jackson, Dirt Dawson, Haselrig, Tunch, Thomas Everette, Aaron Jones.

those guys should have won a championship. Do not for get the big man Kirkland. he was amazing to watch. big men should not move that fast

Don't think so, and several greats from that decade are no longer even with us (Franco, Webster, Courson, Russell, Greenwood, etc.)

Tough to field a competitive NFL team with dead guys and guys in their 80's.
Asked with facetiousness.

Asked with facetiousness.

Wow, I wish I knew that. My answers were 100% serious. Just ask Supe - he will confirm I never mock or lampoon anybody on Steeler Nation. I am as serious as a wake mixed with a visit to the oncologist.

Wow, I wish I knew that. My answers were 100% serious. Just ask Supe - he will confirm I never mock or lampoon anybody on Steeler Nation. I am as serious as a wake mixed with a visit to the oncologist.

On the contrary Coolie will confirm his answers are always 100% serious, even when he mocks or lampoons someone.

I think Blount, Swann, Bradshaw could, maybe a few others.

But the grunts on the O and D line? I doubt it.

Mean Joe was the heaviest Steeler on the roster at 280.
Hate to admit it, but I think the greatest D line ever would get manhandled today.

8799631-1-1600x900.webp

Mean Joe was the heaviest Steeler at 280.
Hate to admit it, but I think these guys would get manhandled today.

8799631-1-1600x900.webp
With everything they have now at their disposal MJG would top 300 easily.

With everything they have now at their disposal MJG would top 300 easily.
I suppose so if you look at it that way. Lambert was I think 215, 220 soaking wet.
Imagine 20 lbs more on Jack Lambert.
A 240 lb. Jack Lambert!!! Holy mother of mercy!

I'm no expert on the training methods, supplements etc. the players receive today. Thats why it's hard to understand how such things can attribute to the freakish size, speed and strength of todays player.

Last edited:
I suppose so if you look at it that way. Lambert was I think 215, 220 soaking wet.
Imagine 20 lbs more on Jack Lambert.
A 240 lb. Jack Lambert!!! Holy mother of mercy!

I'm no expert on the training methods, supplements etc. the players receive today. Thats why it's hard to understand how such things can attribute to the freakish size, speed and strength of the players today.
Yeah they just have the best of everything now. Go look at Pouncey and Faneca and that will give you a clear picture of weight fluctuations between playing weight and retirement weight.

Mean Joe was the heaviest Steeler on the roster at 280.
Hate to admit it, but I think the greatest D line ever would get manhandled today.

8799631-1-1600x900.webp
There are also intangibles in addition to the old guys having access to modern nutrition and training methods.

Consider that we just watched a classic 225 pound heavyweight boxer defeat a very talented 275 lb boxer in the ultimate combat sport. Sometimes it goes beyond the numbers and those guys back then as far as their toughness and professional pride were just a different breed.

There are also intangibles in addition to the old guys having access to modern nutrition and training methods.

Consider that we just watched a classic 225 pound heavyweight boxer defeat a very talented 275 lb boxer in the ultimate combat sport. Sometimes it goes beyond the numbers and those guys back then as far as their toughness and professional pride were just a different breed.

Yeah they were though, but they wouldn't be tough enough imo.

You don't think a mediocre 1985 Steelers team would crush:

09ce406e441886b292372166c98886c8-cleveland-browns-brownies-1.jpg

And the 1964 Clowns would crush:

72a815929dc18a58e2161be1a32883a1.jpg

And those Packers would crush:

Akron-pros-1920.jpg

Yes, there are a lot of things to take into account.... training, nutrition, the number of coaches that specialize...the fact that the players of yesteryear had real jobs in the off season.
I'm just looking at it at face value.
No matter what, nothing of what I or you say matters because it can never be proven one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yeah they were though, but they wouldn't be tough enough imo.

You don't think a mediocre 1985 Steelers team would crush:

09ce406e441886b292372166c98886c8-cleveland-browns-brownies-1.jpg

And the 1964 Clowns would crush:

72a815929dc18a58e2161be1a32883a1.jpg

And those Packers would crush:

Akron-pros-1920.jpg
I see your point. I would also say though that the Steelers of the 70s were tapping into the HBCU's the SEC of the time. There's a big difference in relative talent level once the league was fully integrated.

Hypothetically in a mythical matchup it would just be interesting to see what those 70s guys could do with modern training and nutrition and recovery. No less than Bill Walsh has said it was the greatest collection of talent of all time. Sure, if you go go simply pound for pound it might be a sumo match.