• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Obama on ISIS: "Ideologies Are Not Defeated With Guns, But By Better Ideas"

Spike

Reaction score
"We'll constantly reaffirm through words and deeds that we will never be at war with Islam," President Obama said Monday afternoon. "We are fighting terrorists who distort islam and its victims are mostly Muslims."

"This challenge of countering violent extremism is not simply a military effort," the president said. "Ideologies are not defeated with guns but better ideas and more attracting and more compelling vision."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...h_guns_they_are_defeated_by_better_ideas.html

==================

Tell Tojo

It was flamethrower tanks that took the Pacific Islands back from the Japs - and it was a good idea.

The only thing savages understand is brute force, no more of this "Muslims are our friends crap".

Load up the B-52's with napalm and unload on them

Says the guy who is surrounded by a small army and air force 24/7.

If faced with a guy wielding a machete ready to behead me, I'm choosing a gun, not a bonfire with KumbaYa. Just saying.

If faced with a guy wielding a machete ready to behead me, I'm choosing a gun, not a bonfire with KumbaYa. Just saying.

The Dear Leader said "better" ideas...Kumbaya and bonfires have never been proven to work. lol

Roses and a box of chocolates might though.

Maybe if we just share a coke and a joint with them

What a ******* moron. How anyone can defend this guy is beyond me.

The best way for us to defeat groups like ISIS would be to stop arming and creating them. Remember those "moderate" Syrian rebels that old Man McCaine wanted to give assistance to? They are now known as ISIS. Moral of the story: DONT GIVE MUSLIMS WEAPONRY.

"Ideologies are not defeated with guns but better ideas and more attracting and more compelling vision."

OK, I'm a pretty simple guy. Will someone explain just what this means?

"Ideologies are not defeated with guns but better ideas and more attracting and more compelling vision."

I guess we're supposed to tell them that if they die naturally instead of in act of terrorism, they'll get 73 virgins.

technically, nukes aren't guns.
so I say we share our nuclear firepower and our national past time with ISIS in a game of catch.

This comment is exactly what Obama believes. Why? Because he thinks ISIS has a point He sympathizes with them to some degree, which is why he will never do anything about them.

If he was just a moron, it wouldn't be that dangerous. He is an ideological moron.

And jobs. Don’t forget getting them into a jobs program

Okay. Mr President of the United States, leader of the free world. .....I can't wait to hear your new "ideas".

It means we are going to let ISIS behead innocent Christians because I am a Muslim and support them.

I've been doing a lot of reading up and research and geography lessons on the whole Iraq - Syria - Turkey - Iran issue.

There is no simple solution. We threw 250,000 ground troops at Iraq and the minute we try to leave, the power void left was just soaked up by extremists, corrupt government bureaucrats and outside backed military groups.

Now I will fully admit a couple things:

1. I was in favor of the Iraq war and I'm not Monday Morning Quarterbacking my decision like every politician in the world. It did not take WMD's to convince me to take down Hussein's regime in Iraq. That was a logical choice for us to try and create a stronghold in the middle east area because Hussein had no friends. Iraq hated him even though he was a Shiite. The Sunni's hated him. All his southern neighbors hated him after his invasion of Kuwait. He was an easy and logical choice for us to target.

2. I do think we strategically did the Iraq war incorrectly. There was no need to rush and Rumsfeld's lightning war campaign wasn't necessary nor effective. We should have stockpiled a TON more troops and invaded the country from both the north (through Turkey) and the south (through Saudi Arabia/Kuwait). We used about 200,000 troops (50,000 of which were foreign). We should have used 300,000. We did not have the strength nor the locations to quell the resulting civil war between Sunnis and Shiites nor defend ourselves against the numerous foreign fighters looking for a way to get at us (which I agree was part of the point of invasion - i.e. to take the fight to them and create a military target for extremists to target instead of civilian targets).

3. The long-term strategy should have never been to leave. We should have planned from the very beginning that we were going to establish large military complexes and bases in the Iraq area. Their central location in the Middle East is ideal for strategic purposes. We should have had a base in Baghdad vicinity and Mosul vicinity. I don't quite understand the American public's problem with having troops permanently in Iraq. We still have 50,000 troops in Japan, 30,000 in South Korea and 40,000 troops in Germany. It has long been the policy of the US Military to keep large amounts of troops in critical areas of the world for generations until the regions stabilize. Why we think the Middle East would be different is beyond me.

All that is water under the bridge now. And the problems now are rife with political, economic and military issues.

I do think we should consider re-deploying troops into Iraq again and go forward with my large-scale military base construction in two locations (one Shiite and one Sunni). Whether we're at a point of no return for a united Iraq is undecided. I think it's now much more difficult to consider a united Iraq (using the existing borders) than 4 years ago.

The problems with the 3-state idea now is I'm not sure any government we try to establish in a 3-state system would be strong enough to combat ISIS in the Sunni portion of the new country. The other big issue of the 3-state system is whether the US Government can maintain strong influence over the Shiite "part" (i.e. Baghdad south) vs. Iran. Iran has positioned itself perfectly during this whole thing. They don't care if Iraq breaks itself apart. They only care about the Shiite parts of Baghdad/South and their oil reserves. If you look at Iran's strategy in the area it is not to destroy ISIS, only keep it out of Shiite controlled areas (i.e. getting too close to Baghdad). They could care less if ISIS is murdering the indigenous Sunni groups along the Tigris River. They could care less if the Kurds and Sunnis fight it out.

So there is a big Sphere of Influence problem for the US Government in a 3-state solution, but because political pressure made us remove all our troops, we can't re-establish a stable one-state anymore.

So we're in a big pickle. I think we have to send troops back in, but that might be political suicide.

And the other option, of course, is do nothing. Let them all kill each other and see where the dust settles. We can hem and haw about how cruel ISIS is, how bad Iran is, Syria dropping chemical weapons on it's own people, etc. but maybe deep down inside there really isn't much we can do. The Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds have been fighting long before England/France divvied up the region and they'll probably be fighting 100 years from now too. You just hope by staying out of it nothing really bad happens here in the U.S. or in Israel (although I think Israel can take care of itself). We just have to accept a lot of chaos, terrorist acts and really ugly violence for a while.

He's delusional

President Obama's $500 million plan to raise an army of Syrian rebels to fight the Islamic State horde is falling far short of its target, attracting only a few dozen recruits to the cause. "As of July 3, we are currently training about 60 fighters," Defense Secretary Ash Carter told lawmakers Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...arter-says-just-60-syrian-rebels-in-training/

Again.... either he backs putting troops back into Iraq to fight ISIS (which was once Al-Queda of Iraq), which is against his political platform and which most American's don't favor right now, or he does all this bullshit "sort of" stuff like training and drone air strikes and trying to cooperate with completely corrupt and ineffective local groups.

His platform can't be "do nothing" even though, in reality, that's all we're doing. Our policy right now is half-assed and waiting for something so bad to happen that the American public will back sending troops (and I mean a LOT of troops - like 100,000) back into the region.

Obama is in a no win situation of his own creation when he promised withdrawal of all the troops no matter what and created deadlines in doing so. But I remind everyone that is what the public wanted and voted for (pretty overwhelmingly I might add).

His platform can't be "do nothing" even though, in reality, that's all we're doing..

Doing as little as possible till he can kick the can down the road. He won't even let the Kurds fight them

US blocks attempts by Arab allies to fly heavy weapons directly to Kurds to fight Islamic State

"all attempts to persuade Mr Obama of the need to arm the Kurds directly as part of more vigorous plans to take on Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) have failed"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...directly-to-Kurds-to-fight-Islamic-State.html

Doing as little as possible till he can kick the can down the road. He won't even let the Kurds fight them

US blocks attempts by Arab allies to fly heavy weapons directly to Kurds to fight Islamic State

"all attempts to persuade Mr Obama of the need to arm the Kurds directly as part of more vigorous plans to take on Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) have failed"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...directly-to-Kurds-to-fight-Islamic-State.html

I agree he's probably just doing as little as possible, not make it "his issue" and hope his policies last long enough until another president is in place to make the tough decisions.

His legacy is getting the troops out of Iraq. That's what he wants written in the history books. He's not going to send them back in no matter how bad it gets.

agree with delz

just wonder what, if anything, it would take for this POS to send even a ******* cruise missile into a well-lit, 100% male ISIS/IS/ISIL terrorist camp.

agree with delz

just wonder what, if anything, it would take for this POS to send even a ******* cruise missile into a well-lit, 100% male ISIS/IS/ISIL terrorist camp.

Nothing. He loves them. The family bond is strong...

I've been doing a lot of reading up and research and geography lessons on the whole Iraq - Syria - Turkey - Iran issue.

There is no simple solution. We threw 250,000 ground troops at Iraq and the minute we try to leave, the power void left was just soaked up by extremists, corrupt government bureaucrats and outside backed military groups.

Now I will fully admit a couple things:

1. I was in favor of the Iraq war and I'm not Monday Morning Quarterbacking my decision like every politician in the world. It did not take WMD's to convince me to take down Hussein's regime in Iraq. That was a logical choice for us to try and create a stronghold in the middle east area because Hussein had no friends. Iraq hated him even though he was a Shiite. The Sunni's hated him. All his southern neighbors hated him after his invasion of Kuwait. He was an easy and logical choice for us to target.

2. I do think we strategically did the Iraq war incorrectly. There was no need to rush and Rumsfeld's lightning war campaign wasn't necessary nor effective. We should have stockpiled a TON more troops and invaded the country from both the north (through Turkey) and the south (through Saudi Arabia/Kuwait). We used about 200,000 troops (50,000 of which were foreign). We should have used 300,000. We did not have the strength nor the locations to quell the resulting civil war between Sunnis and Shiites nor defend ourselves against the numerous foreign fighters looking for a way to get at us (which I agree was part of the point of invasion - i.e. to take the fight to them and create a military target for extremists to target instead of civilian targets).

3. The long-term strategy should have never been to leave. We should have planned from the very beginning that we were going to establish large military complexes and bases in the Iraq area. Their central location in the Middle East is ideal for strategic purposes. We should have had a base in Baghdad vicinity and Mosul vicinity. I don't quite understand the American public's problem with having troops permanently in Iraq. We still have 50,000 troops in Japan, 30,000 in South Korea and 40,000 troops in Germany. It has long been the policy of the US Military to keep large amounts of troops in critical areas of the world for generations until the regions stabilize. Why we think the Middle East would be different is beyond me.

All that is water under the bridge now. And the problems now are rife with political, economic and military issues.

I do think we should consider re-deploying troops into Iraq again and go forward with my large-scale military base construction in two locations (one Shiite and one Sunni). Whether we're at a point of no return for a united Iraq is undecided. I think it's now much more difficult to consider a united Iraq (using the existing borders) than 4 years ago.

The problems with the 3-state idea now is I'm not sure any government we try to establish in a 3-state system would be strong enough to combat ISIS in the Sunni portion of the new country. The other big issue of the 3-state system is whether the US Government can maintain strong influence over the Shiite "part" (i.e. Baghdad south) vs. Iran. Iran has positioned itself perfectly during this whole thing. They don't care if Iraq breaks itself apart. They only care about the Shiite parts of Baghdad/South and their oil reserves. If you look at Iran's strategy in the area it is not to destroy ISIS, only keep it out of Shiite controlled areas (i.e. getting too close to Baghdad). They could care less if ISIS is murdering the indigenous Sunni groups along the Tigris River. They could care less if the Kurds and Sunnis fight it out.

So there is a big Sphere of Influence problem for the US Government in a 3-state solution, but because political pressure made us remove all our troops, we can't re-establish a stable one-state anymore.

So we're in a big pickle. I think we have to send troops back in, but that might be political suicide.

And the other option, of course, is do nothing. Let them all kill each other and see where the dust settles. We can hem and haw about how cruel ISIS is, how bad Iran is, Syria dropping chemical weapons on it's own people, etc. but maybe deep down inside there really isn't much we can do. The Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds have been fighting long before England/France divvied up the region and they'll probably be fighting 100 years from now too. You just hope by staying out of it nothing really bad happens here in the U.S. or in Israel (although I think Israel can take care of itself). We just have to accept a lot of chaos, terrorist acts and really ugly violence for a while.

Indeed. Another great lesson in why politicians need to stay the hell out of military decision making.

Supe, you're either nuts or just playing to the home crowd.

This is just Pakistan... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drone_strikes_in_Pakistan

It may take a while to scroll through, the kill list is substantial.

Not sure why ya'll need to constantly undermine Obama's - and our military's - ongoing efforts. To suggest that Obama hasn't been taking the fight to Al Quaida and ISIS is ridiculous. Sure, he's smart enough to know that a full scale invasion, land war, occupation is probably not the way to go. But there are other means.

Nothing. He loves them. The family bond is strong...

I have no response to this, besides sitting back in my chair and shaking my head.

Last edited: