• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Obama's return to Iraq reveals how wrong he has been about the world

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
Dick Cheney Is Still Right
Obama's return to Iraq reveals how wrong he has been about the world.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/dick-cheney-is-still-right-1410305068

President Obama will lay out his plan to counter the Islamic State on Wednesday night, and we'll judge the strategy on its merits. But the mere fact that Mr. Obama feels obliged to send Americans to fight again in Iraq acknowledges the failure of his foreign policy. He is tacitly admitting that the liberal critique of the Bush Administration's approach to Islamic terrorism was wrong.

Recall that Mr. Obama won the Presidency by arguing that the U.S. had alienated the world and Muslims by recklessly using force abroad. We had betrayed our values by interrogating terrorists too harshly and wiretapping too much. Our enemies hated us not because they hated our values or our influence but because we had provoked them with our interventions.

If we withdrew from the Middle East, especially from Iraq; if we avoided new entanglements, such as in Syria; and if we engaged with our adversaries, such as Iran and Russia, the anti-American furies would subside and the world would be safer. We should nation-build at home, not overseas, and slash the defense budget accordingly.

Mr. Obama pursued this vision starting with his Inaugural Address and throughout his first term. He tried to "reset" relations with Russia by dismantling a missile-defense deal with Poland and the Czech Republic. He muted support for the democratic uprising in Iran in 2009 lest it upset the mullahs he needed for a nuclear weapons deal.

When the Syrian revolt erupted in 2011, Mr. Obama called for Bashar Assad to go but did nothing to aid the moderate opposition. In the process he overruled Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, CIA director David Petraeus, and his ambassador to Damascus Robert Ford.

The U.S. absence left Syria's battleground to the Russians and Iranians, who helped Assad hang on, and to the Qataris, who have funded Islamic State and the al Qaeda affiliated al-Nusrah. But Mr. Obama was unrepentant, saying as recently as August that it had "always been a fantasy" to think that arming the moderate Syrians would make a difference.

Above all Mr. Obama sought to end the U.S. presence in Iraq. He made a token effort to strike a status of forces agreement past 2011, offering so few troops that the Iraqis thought it wasn't worth the domestic political trouble. Mr. Obama then sold his total withdrawal as a political success, claiming Iraq was "stable" and "self-reliant" and making a centerpiece of his 2012 campaign that "the tide of war is receding." He ridiculed Mitt Romney for warning about Mr. Putin's designs.

Mr. Obama doubled down on his peace-through-withdrawal strategy in the second term, speeding up the U.S. departure from Afghanistan. On May 23, 2013, he summed up his vision and strategy in a sort of victory speech at National Defense University:

"Today, Osama bin Laden is dead, and so are most of his top lieutenants. There have been no large-scale attacks on the United States, and our homeland is more secure. Fewer of our troops are in harm's way, and over the next 19 months they will continue to come home. Our alliances are strong, and so is our standing in the world. In sum, we are safer because of our efforts."

Then in January his friends at the New Yorker quoted him as comparing Islamic State to the "jayvee team," and this summer he said Mr. Putin is doomed to fail because countries don't invade others in "the 21st century."

So where are we less than a year later? Iran's mullahs continue to resist Mr. Obama's nuclear entreaties, while Mr. Putin carves up Ukraine and threatens NATO. China is breaking the rule of law in Hong Kong, pressing its air-identification zone in the Pacific, and buzzing U.S. aircraft.

Syria is now a terrorist sanctuary from which the Islamic State has conquered a third of Iraq, the first time since 9/11 that jihadists control territory from which they can plan attacks. Al Qaeda's affiliates have expanded across the Middle East and Africa, attacking a mall in Kenya and kidnapping schoolgirls in Nigeria.

Mr. Obama can blame this rising tide of disorder on George W. Bush, but the polls show the American public doesn't believe it. They know from experience that it takes time for bad policy to reveal itself in new global turmoil. They saw how the early mistakes in Iraq led to chaos until the 2007 surge saved the day and left Mr. Obama with an opportunity he squandered. And they can see now that Mr. Obama's strategy has produced terrorist victories and more danger for America.

Mr. Obama's intellectual and media defenders were complicit in all of this, cheering on his flight from world leadership as prudent management of U.S. decline. Even now some of his most devoted acolytes write that Mr. Obama's "caution" has Islamic State's jihadists right where he wants them. It is hard to admit that your worldview has been exposed as out-of-this-world.

We hope tonight's speech shows a more realistic President determined to defeat Islamic State, but whatever he says will have to overcome the doubts about American resolve that he has spread around the world for nearly six years. One way to start undoing the damage would be to concede that Dick Cheney was right all along.

Bush got us into this mess and you can't expect our wonderfully moderate First Black President to fix it overnight. Now stop being racist.

Dick Cheney is Still Right, The Iraq War Was a Brilliant Idea. Maybe Letterman could have Cheney on to do a top ten list of the benefits the US has received
from starting that war.

He ended it all right, by surrendering. Great job.

Bush got us into this mess and you can't expect our wonderfully moderate First Black President to fix it overnight. Now stop being racist.

Somebody has been listening to Alan Colmes again.

Dick Cheney is Still Right, The Iraq War Was a Brilliant Idea. Maybe Letterman could have Cheney on to do a top ten list of the benefits the US has received
from starting that war.

1. Bin Laden is dead.

If we didn't start the Iraq war Bin Laden would have been dead a lot sooner.

yeah, we were doing a good damn job of locating him, weren't we?

If we didn't start the Iraq war Bin Laden would have been dead a lot sooner.

Getting Bid Laden had nothing to do with troop strength or the war in Iraq. It took special ops to find him and the issue of crossing into an allies territory without permission. They got a tip from someone inside Pakistan. It made no difference about anything else. Seriously, you need to do some research before posting. You look like a fool every time you post anything.

from starting that war.

Now, I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. And the president’s made it very clear that our purpose there is, if we are forced to do this, will in fact be to stand up a government that’s representative of the Iraqi people, hopefully democratic due respect for human rights, and it, obviously, involves a major commitment by the United States, but we think it’s a commitment worth making. And we don’t have the option anymore of simply laying back and hoping that events in Iraq will not constitute a threat to the U.S. Clearly, 12 years after the Gulf War, we’re back in a situation where he does constitute a threat.---Dick Cheney

Ol' DICK had it all figured out didn't he? And they call this president clueless......

I wish I had come up with this quote if I knew who did I would credit them.

To be on the wrong side of Dick Cheney is to be on the right side of history.---unknown

Now, I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. And the president’s made it very clear that our purpose there is, if we are forced to do this, will in fact be to stand up a government that’s representative of the Iraqi people, hopefully democratic due respect for human rights, and it, obviously, involves a major commitment by the United States, but we think it’s a commitment worth making. And we don’t have the option anymore of simply laying back and hoping that events in Iraq will not constitute a threat to the U.S. Clearly, 12 years after the Gulf War, we’re back in a situation where he does constitute a threat.---Dick Cheney

Ol' DICK had it all figured out didn't he? And they call this president clueless......

I wish I had come up with this quote if I knew who did I would credit them.

To be on the wrong side of Dick Cheney is to be on the right side of history.---unknown

Our escapade into Iraq was a mistake. The GWB administration thought that the ME needed a secular democracy, and attempted to make that happen in Iraq. He was wrong in thinking that the population-at-large would consider it preferable to a tyrant, These people are the product of large, tyrannical government, and were not prepared for independence.

At least he tried something, other than improving his 9 iron.

Our escapade into Iraq was a mistake. The GWB administration thought that the ME needed a secular democracy, and attempted to make that happen in Iraq. He was wrong in thinking that the population-at-large would consider it preferable to a tyrant, These people are the product of large, tyrannical government, and were not prepared for independence.

At least he tried something, other than improving his 9 iron.

Suppose you thought that Iran might be THE factor in the region to be reckoned with in the next decade or five? They were on a path to nucular-hood. They are the strongest belligerent in the area. They fight proxy wars throughout the area and support anybody that is willing to harm Israel. They are a client and surrogate of your longtime nemesis, the sovs. You have a green light to invade the, er, country on their Eastern border. You take the opportunity to invade the country to their West. You box Iran in - Turkey your ally is to the Northwest; the House of Saud to the South; Pakistan to the Southeast. At that point you control the region and its assets, and you have forward bases in two strategic areas of Asia, much to the chagrin of your nemesis and their new pals the chicomms. Once stable, you shift some assets from Japan and Germany. Not bad strategery.

Was that the plan? Possibly. If it was and it stood, it was a good plan IMHO, given the unholy mess we face today at the hand of the leftist ideologue that was hellbound to unwind the plan.

In any event, I heartily doubt that it was ever about "democracy". Clearly they weren't, nor ever will be prepared for independence. It isn't in their DNA.

yeah, we were doing a good damn job of locating him, weren't we?

Ask Bill Clinton....he had him on a silver platter and did jack ****.

Suppose you thought that Iran might be THE factor in the region to be reckoned with in the next decade or five? They were on a path to nucular-hood. They are the strongest belligerent in the area. They fight proxy wars throughout the area and support anybody that is willing to harm Israel. They are a client and surrogate of your longtime nemesis, the sovs. You have a green light to invade the, er, country on their Eastern border. You take the opportunity to invade the country to their West. You box Iran in - Turkey your ally is to the Northwest; the House of Saud to the South; Pakistan to the Southeast. At that point you control the region and its assets, and you have forward bases in two strategic areas of Asia, much to the chagrin of your nemesis and their new pals the chicomms. Once stable, you shift some assets from Japan and Germany. Not bad strategery.

Was that the plan? Possibly. If it was and it stood, it was a good plan IMHO, given the unholy mess we face today at the hand of the leftist ideologue that was hellbound to unwind the plan.

In any event, I heartily doubt that it was ever about "democracy". Clearly they weren't, nor ever will be prepared for independence. It isn't in their DNA.
Sounds plausible. We may never find out.
I'm still sticking wit the secular democracy theory. No way they are going to fess up to that. And BTW, they did have WMDs.......they said made in America on them.

Problem is that Bomma HAD to pull out of Iraq because all His party did for 6 years was ***** about Boosh, Cheney, Iraq, and Halliburton. They had it rigged so that any elected Democrat had to do the opposite of the hated Boosh (nevermind that most of them voted for the Iraq war. Boosh lied, people died, blah, blah, blah.....) Even if everyone in His Cabinet (that He never meets with anyway) and the entire Pentagon told Him it would be a bad idea to pull out, Bomma had Himself painted into a corner. His base was pissed enough already that He didn't close GITMO like He said He would.

I guess we didn't have any special operations units in Iraq that could have helped find Bin Laden. brilliant

Sadam Hussein was Irans' biggest enemy and now ISIS has taken his place. And we wipe both of them out.
Iran can't thank us enough. Great Iran strategy. you get a double brilliant

Do you guys take the rocks out of your heads and wash them on occasion?

I guess we didn't have any special operations units in Iraq that could have helped find Bin Laden. brilliant

Sadam Hussein was Irans' biggest enemy and now ISIS has taken his place. And we wipe both of them out.
Iran can't thank us enough. Great Iran strategy. you get a double brilliant

Do you guys take the rocks out of your heads and wash them on occasion?

Huh?

Bin Laden wasn't in Iraq. Never was. Iraq would be a relatively peaceable place if we hadn't pulled out.

Cheney was never right and he's wrong now. How long were we supposed to stay in Iraq for the place to actually flourish as a democracy or even a non-clusterfuck? Could have been 10 years or 100 without it happening. It was a non-sensical, ahistorical and hubristic idea from the get-go, with no plausible end game or exit strategy. ISIS is a regional problem in which no regional government is acting in an earnest attempt to solve. They all were waiting for the US to come do something. And, as usual, learning no lessons from history, we've taken the bait. Look, they are barbaric and they they brutally murdered 2 American journalists. I get it. But that is an awfully low benchmark for warring. So now anywhere, any place, and at any time an American gets killed brutually, the US is obligated to go to war? Well, if that's the precedent, I guess the military industrial complex will be humming a happy tune for some time to come...

Bin Laden wasn't in Iraq. Never was. Iraq would be a relatively peaceable place if we hadn't pulled out.

And we would have had to stay forever for it to stay "relatively" peaceable. How realistic is that? The fact that the place essentially started crumbling under the weight of its old tribal conflicts right after the US left is very telling. The fact that the so-called Iraqi army got their ***** handed to them by a gang of thugs after nearly 10 years of training is more telling...yeah, for sale: weapons, never fired, only dropped once...about the only thing Obama has gotten right was getting the **** out of there...and he stumbled into that only after they wouldn't agree to the SOFA.

And we would have had to stay forever for it to stay "relatively" peaceable. How realistic is that?
We still have troops in Germany, Italy, and Japan 69 years after WWII ended.
Take their oil to pay for it and get gas back to $1.80 a gallon. I'm good with it.

We still have troops in Germany, Italy, and Japan 69 years after WWII ended.
Take their oil to pay for it and get gas back to $1.80 a gallon. I'm good with it.

Yes, and who could really argue with how well imperial overstretch has worked out historically for great powers...