• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Offensive Line Has Been Addressed; What’s Next in Steelers Free Agency?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers made a few moves on the first day of legal tampering on Monday. The two moves involving players outside of the organization were signing quarterback, Mitchell Trubisky, and signing former Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman, Mason Cole. Pair this with re-signing Chukwuma Okorafor to a three-year deal and the team was busier than usual.

Tuesday brought us the huge news that the team is planning to sign former Chicago Bears offensive guard, James Daniels to a three-year deal as well. Daniels is an immediate upgrade and now can be touted as the best big man up front. There are also reports that J.C. Hassenauer will be brought back on a one-year exclusive rights tender.

The offensive line was a clear need for head coach Mike Tomlin and co. Addressing it the last two days has reflected the organization’s acknowledgement of that. While I wouldn’t rule out drafting an offensive line on one of the first two days of the NFL Draft, the team can switch focus to other needs that need to be done in order to be competitive in the AFC North.

So what comes next in this free agency frenzy? While it may seem like not much to the average NFL fan, Kevin Colbert seems to be willing to spend money. Daniels and Okorafor’s cap hits in 2022 are just over $8 million combined which leads one to think more is coming.

The next steps in free agency need to be:

1.) Re-sign Ahkello Witherspoon​

Witherspoon was one of the main reasons the Steelers passing defense improved over the last month or so of 2021. He led the team with three interceptions while only playing in nine games. The secondary needs to be addressed come the draft, but hanging onto Witherspoon will make it a bit less of an urgent situation. Witherspoon is deserving of at least two years with little to none guaranteed in year two in case he was a fluke the latter half of the season. With that said, the former third round pick played his way into a pay day and it needs to be with Pittsburgh.

2.) Re-sign Terrell Edmunds​

While it seems as if Edmunds is expecting to play elsewhere, the Steelers have massive gaps at the safety position other than Minkah Fitzpatrick. Edmunds is testing the free agent market, but has yet to agree to sign elsewhere. My hope would be that teams come in lower than expected and Edmunds and his camp ask the Steelers to match an offer that is doable and worth it. Edmunds and Fitzpatrick have developed a chemistry in the deep secondary and while Edmunds has butter for hands, he quietly had a very strong season in 2021 and should continue to improve.

3.) Release Joe Schobert and Zach Banner; Sign an Inside Linebacker​

The team still has some money to play with, but releasing Joe Schobert and Zach Banner will free up $15 million in cap space. This kind of money will leave the team with plenty of room to go after an inside linebacker. A name being thrown around is former Seattle Seahawk, Bobby Wagner. The 8-time Pro Bowler is not as young as he once was, but can still play at a high level and would be an incredible mentor for Devin Bush. The Steelers need to upgrade this position and grabbing someone now will prevent them from taking an inside linebacker with the #20 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. The Jacksonville Jaguars also just released former second round pick, Myles Jack. Jack led the Jaguars with 108 tackles last season. The Steelers need a guy like this up the middle to make Bush’s life easier.

There are more moves to be made and with cap space leftover, releases and restructuring to come; the Steelers may not be done spending.

What moves do the Steelers still need to make? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

1. Witherspoon
2. Juju
3. MYLES JACK!? oh hell yes

1. Witherspoon
2. Juju
3. MYLES JACK!? oh hell yes
I would add another corner to pair with the Witherspoon signing.

I think Juju might be gone.

Not sure they are going to do anything with Joe yet.... Maybe they restructure there.

We already overpaid a below the line player in Chucks, no need to double down on that by resigning Edmunds

As far as the corner position goes I am hoping Donte Jackson gets signed. That or Gilmore.

Witherspoon for sure. Ju Ju I’m ok with but don’t want to overpay for him. Same goes for Edmunds.
If they can sign Myles Jack or Bobby Wagner then goodbye Joe Shoebert. Also, don’t need Banner. That savings allows them to sign one of those LBers.

I’m not sure the O-Line has really been addressed. In fact, I’m not seeing where they upgraded, really.

I'm all in on bringing back Edmunds - he and Minkah have a chemistry now. Ahkello and Levi should really lock the corners down w/ Cam in the slot.

Definitely cut Banner and Shobert.

If they get Myles Jack - our defense is gonna be crazy!!!

One upgrade, Daniels. Chucks is lazy and now overpaid and Cole is just a guy.

I’m not sure the O-Line has really been addressed. In fact, I’m not seeing where they upgraded, really.
Daniels was one of the top guards on the market so they got a pretty significant upgrade at RG. Cole had a good year at center last year and really, would it take much to upgrade over Green?

Daniels was one of the top guards on the market so they got a pretty significant upgrade at RG. Cole had a good year at center last year and really, would it take much to upgrade over Green?
Yeah, I posted that before I saw they signed Daniels.

does anyone know how much the have left under the cap? I know they hae to sign draft picks

does anyone know how much the have left under the cap? I know they hae to sign draft picks
Can clear up cap space by releasing Schobert and Banner. Can clear up more by reworking Cam and TJ's contracts.

Can clear up cap space by releasing Schobert and Banner. Can clear up more by reworking Cam and TJ's contracts.
They're in position to avoid restructures so it would be nice if they could make it through an offseason avoiding this process. Banner and Schobert would be the way to go.

They're in position to avoid restructures so it would be nice if they could make it through an offseason avoiding this process. Banner and Schobert would be the way to go.
Agreed. But, they also have to find a way to pay Minkah.

James Danials is definately an upgrade but I hope there is one more "starter material" coming whether draft or FA (will probably be draft). They also signed a center that should win that starting job.

They still have work to do but they have improved.

If they don't plan on drafting or FA safety then they need to resign Edmonds.

Salute the nation

Sorry, I didn't see the time stamp. In that case, I was 100% agreement with you.
Still Cole upgraded before that signing. Just to a lesser degree.

Release schobert and banner
Sign ilb jack
Cb Witherspoon
Sign a few dl like Carl Davis or Campbell
Try juju and edmunds respectable don’t overpay
Take a look at Collins rt chukes is a finesse rt he needs to hit the gym to add girth to push the pile in the run game

James Danials is definately an upgrade but I hope there is one more "starter material" coming whether draft or FA (will probably be draft). They also signed a center that should win that starting job.

They still have work to do but they have improved.

If they don't plan on drafting or FA safety then they need to resign Edmonds.

Salute the nation
I still think another OL in round 1 or 2 and the other should be DL.

ILB is going to be tricky IMO. They already rendered Spillane. They should feel Shobert out- if there’s a chance to keep him and restructure him to make room, do it. Otherwise wait till the proper cut down day to minimize the cap hit in releasing him.
Work to retain Minkah and retain Witherspoon. If he (Witherspoon) decides to move on, consider bringing Haden back for 2 or consider bringing back Nelson or kick the tires on Darious Willams.