• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Organization unsound

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
But the standard is still the standard! Yeah, being mediocre has replaced being great.
Art II you’re 71 now maybe it’s time you step aside for your son and pump some young blood into a wilting organization.
It’s time!

Reactions: MTC
The standard is substandard.

Obviously

Has there ever been an NFL head coach that has been permitted to do so little, with so much, for so long ?

What does our ownership get out of permitting a coach to squander the talent of so many Hall of Fame candidates for so long, for the sake of 'accomplishing' a non-losing record ? Is there a Diversity Super Bowl that we've won that I'm unaware of ?

Why do good coaches leave here and poor coaches stay ? Why do we allow it ?

The entire core of this franchise has slowly rotted to the dysfunctional mess that it currently is, just to keep this under performing head coach here.

And for what ?

The rot starts at the top. Is Tomlins seat hot?

I read a good article yesterday about former players having success with their new teams.
Big Dot, remember him? He’s thriving in LA with the Rams and is grading out as a top five guard.
Witherspoon also in LA is having a good season.
Robert Spillane in LV is having a very good season as well.
I think this has to be an indictment on the Steeler’s coaching or lack of it.
Not saying these guys are super stars but they are starting and thriving elsewhere.

I don't like it, but it's pretty much what we discuss every day - and now the media is.

"If you add all of this up, the sum is equal to an utter mess of a franchise."

"With every playoff game they win, they will pick lower and lower in the first round of the NFL Draft. This isn't a team that can afford to go on a Cinderella run unless it results in the ultimate goal of every team in the NFL: a Lombardi Trophy."

"In Pittsburgh, the Standard is the Standard, and that "Standard" is winning just enough that you're not considered a loser while leaving the team dangling in the Land of Mediocrity year after year."

But the standard is still the standard! Yeah, being mediocre has replaced being great.
Art II you’re 71 now maybe it’s time you step aside for your son and pump some young blood into a wilting organization.
It’s time!
Maybe even better idea. Is there a drunken hedonistic grandson or granddaughter that could take over? At least then there would be something to look forward to reading about?

I read a good article yesterday about former players having success with their new teams.
Big Dot, remember him? He’s thriving in LA with the Rams and is grading out as a top five guard.
Witherspoon also in LA is having a good season.
Robert Spillane in LV is having a very good season as well.
I think this has to be an indictment on the Steeler’s coaching or lack of it.
Not saying these guys are super stars but they are starting and thriving elsewhere.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...m-in-pittsburgh-kevin-dotson-los-angeles-rams

Yea, read the same thing. Let's 1st start with us having the cheapest/smallest coaching staff in the entire NFL. It's really hard to be the "best" when you are the cheapest - Rooney's most notable trait. Yea, sure, Tomlin is paid well (perhaps the worst spent $ in sports), and a few of the marquee players, but that's where it ends: Every coach coming here knows they are going to be beat down to the lowest salary. Is it a wonder why we don't attract the better coaches here? And why do we have the smallest coaching/scouting staffs? I mean, I think Cinci didn't even hire a scouting staff at one time, so that had to be cheaper. And we saw where the lack of scouting staff got them; decades of being a bottom feeder.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11...o-more-with-less-in-their-scouting-department

But Cincinnati also offered "used" jock straps at one point, so we know Mike Brown's penchant for squeezing dimes to mush is well-earned.

https://sportsnaut.com/t-j-houshmandzadeh-shares-disturbing-bengals-story-about-jock-straps/

All the early draft pick as a reason **** makes me think this guy isn’t paying attention to the draft and some of the best QBs in the league like Purdy, Prescott and Hurts. He also mentions Wilson and Cousins, neither one a first round pick let alone a high first round pick.

All the early draft pick as a reason **** makes me think this guy isn’t paying attention to the draft and some of the best QBs in the league like Purdy, Prescott and Hurts. He also mentions Wilson and Cousins, neither one a first round pick let alone a high first round pick.
It's well know our 1st round picks are "approved" by Art, if not outright chosen by him. He picked Najee and Kenny for sure; 2 picks that may both send this franchise back a few years. And if you ever wonder why such players receive so many more chances to "prove" themselves before finally being given a seat, well, the boss is always right. We now have another full year of Kenny to prove himself while he "gets used to" a new OC. So strap in for another subpar season of QB play: staring at one target at the snap, even when it's a screen play, no pocket awareness, just takes off running for no real reason and has to reset to find a receiver. And, incase no one noticed, he ain't Big Ben when it comes to buying time and finding an open target. Ben was at a 9.5 at doing that, Kenny is about a 1.5 at doing that.

Last edited:
Has there ever been an NFL head coach that has been permitted to do so little, with so much, for so long ?

What does our ownership get out of permitting a coach to squander the talent of so many Hall of Fame candidates for so long, for the sake of 'accomplishing' a non-losing record ? Is there a Diversity Super Bowl that we've won that I'm unaware of ?

Why do good coaches leave here and poor coaches stay ? Why do we allow it ?

The entire core of this franchise has slowly rotted to the dysfunctional mess that it currently is, just to keep this under performing head coach here.

And for what ?
The Steelers brand sells. They are content. It’s not just about football anymore. The marketing is different than what we were used to as fans of the football team.

The Steelers brand sells. They are content. It’s not just about football anymore. The marketing is different than what we were used to as fans of the football team.
Excellent point!

Very sad, but most relevant to our times.

If the Steelers were to limp into the playoffs, the Deuce would probably prefer a playoff match vs Mr. pFizer/Dorito/Swift and his team because of all the ancillary attention.

Some of us just want to watch football.

If the Steelers were to limp into the playoffs, the Deuce would probably prefer a playoff match vs Mr. pFizer/Dorito/Swift and his team because of all the ancillary attention.

Pretty soon, Black Rock will own every NFL team too, then what? What's the point when one company owns everything?

Last edited:
Excellent point!

This is why I stopped investing emotionally to pro sports. At it’s inner core it’s marketing and money. The novelty of sports representing a city wore off.

The Steeler "brand." I heard yet another talking head refer to the Steelers and there "always tough defense." As we stand we are 21st ranked D after spending most of the season near the bottom. Yea, our horrid, pathetic offense helps lead to poor D, but our D is still not some kind of force of nature regardless, even though we spend so much $ on it. We used to be a top 5 D year after year, but with Shades we just keep going backwards. Browns and Ravens are #1 and #2. Shades is a fraud: overspends on D more than anyone and produces less than average of a D. Way to go, Shades. The way you wear those shades is so impressive.

I read an article from an ESPN writer who told Colin Cowerd no matter how Tomlin’s team ends up this season he will not be on the hot seat. WHAT?
So if we finish 7–10 or 8-9, miss the playoffs after being in control with the fifth seed at 7-4 this guys seat is not even warm?
If this ends badly and Tomlin is not even on the hot seat and is allowed to promote from within then this organization is more ****** up than I thought.

I read an article from an ESPN writer who told Colin Cowerd no matter how Tomlin’s team ends up this season he will not be on the hot seat. WHAT?
So if we finish 7–10 or 8-9, miss the playoffs after being in control with the fifth seed at 7-4 this guys seat is not even warm?
If this ends badly and Tomlin is not even on the hot seat and is allowed to promote from within then this organization is more ****** up than I thought.
Lets be honest, after watching the last 2 weeks, 7-10 is more likely than 11-6 and if the standard continues to be the standard, this franchise is a disaster.

The Steeler "brand." I heard yet another talking head refer to the Steelers and there "always tough defense." As we stand we are 21st ranked D after spending most of the season near the bottom. Yea, our horrid, pathetic offense helps lead to poor D, but our D is still not some kind of force of nature regardless, even though we spend so much $ on it. We used to be a top 5 D year after year, but with Shades we just keep going backwards. Browns and Ravens are #1 and #2. Shades is a fraud: overspends on D more than anyone and produces less than average of a D. Way to go, Shades. The way you wear those shades is so impressive.
I wasn’t talking about the Steelers in a football sense. The Steelers logo sells much like any other global brand - ex. Mcdonalds, coca-cola, toyota etc.

The Steelers sale based on that alone. It’s not football anymore. It’s pretty easy to see. Add in they have nike merchandising their products. They are going to sale to the current generation regardless of the product out on the field.

- factor in fans are a glutton for punishment and are still going to watch the games regardless. Until Rooney gets hit in the pocket book, which won’t be likely. The on field football product will be the same thing every season.

I personally find the games boring and a waste of time these days. I tune in on occasion now

Reactions: GMC
If this happens, I'm not saying I'm done because I know I'll always be a Steeler fan but I certainly won't renew the YouTube package and will not schedule my days around Pittsburgh games broadcast in my area. I'll watch if it's convenient and follow scores but damn if I'm going to get upset any longer until this "era" is over.

The only anger I have left is directed at our ownership which is something I never thought possible. Our coaching staff are what they are, they're not trying to place a subpar or mediocre product on the field. Only one person can right this floundering ship and he's sitting in the luxury box.

Iron sharpens cheese and we are out there sharpening. Obviously. There is no blade of grass we don't mow. There is no ping pong table we won't remove. A man must be up for the challenges of life, unless they are challenging potential TD plays. We are men on a journey and we must go where the tornadoes take us. Next man up.

If this happens, I'm not saying I'm done because I know I'll always be a Steeler fan but I certainly won't renew the YouTube package and will not schedule my days around Pittsburgh games broadcast in my area. I'll watch if it's convenient and follow scores but damn if I'm going to get upset any longer until this "era" is over.

The only anger I have left is directed at our ownership which is something I never thought possible. Our coaching staff are what they are, they're not trying to place a subpar or mediocre product on the field. Only one person can right this floundering ship and he's sitting in the luxury box.
Always a fan too. But definitely don’t go out of my way to catch a game. My views have changed since the covid shut downs. I have other priorities to focus on.

Aside, I do tune in when I can. Especially because I can get my parents around to o visit their grandkids