• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pat Freiermuth vs. Creed Humphrey

We draft Creed and Ebron has to be a blocking TE.

*Shudder*...

How long do we have Ebron signed, I thought this was his last contract year ? I think they don't bring him back.

Salute the nation

Freirmuth has more than proven he was the correct choice, we likely would have a losing record without his clutch catches over the past few games. But you could make an argument that there were better options at center still available when we drafted Green in the 3rd.

I know this is total speculation from a fan, but Muth could've maybe been there in the 3rd. Unlikely, but if they wanted him that badly, they could have traded a later round pick (Quincy Roche - no longer on the team) and moved up. I just don't think you pass on a player like Humphrey when he's an absolute need as well.

SF448 clips show what I saw last night. Passing on Humphrey was a huge mistake. Dude is a mauler with great balance, can work in space. At one point as halftime approached, the nose tackle just gave up and stood there, tired of getting thumped by Humphrey.

Green is terrible right now. The "oh he'll get better crowd" is banking on the fact he no longer sucks. I don't think he will ever be as good as Humphrey.

*Shudder*...

So your reasoning is as follows: I am willing to draft a much, much worse offensive center, somebody getting bulled into the backfield, because I am more worried about blocking from the TE position.

Okay, or maybe this: draft Humphrey, offensive line is massively improved, and get a good blocking TE in say the 4th or 5th round.

If we are looking back on the 2021 draft my statement was if Mac Jones falls past New England I wouldn't take him in the first round and if the Pats take him look out he will be the steal of the draft.

SF448 clips show what I saw last night. Passing on Humphrey was a huge mistake. Dude is a mauler with great balance, can work in space. At one point as halftime approached, the nose tackle just gave up and stood there, tired of getting thumped by Humphrey.

Green is terrible right now. The "oh he'll get better crowd" is banking on the fact he no longer sucks. I don't think he will ever be as good as Humphrey.
He could be even better. Really.

i don't think the Steelers are using him correctly. In fact, i think they're screwing him up. And I have no hope Green will be a road grater-type Center.

He came out of college as perhaps the best running OG/C prospect in the last 40 years.

Canada seemed/ seems? like he wants to do everything or anything out of every single formation. If Canada calls a few pitches to the outside, he might see that for as bad as the OL is - they can run the ball effectively if Najee gets out into space.

So your reasoning is as follows: I am willing to draft a much, much worse offensive center, somebody getting bulled into the backfield, because I am more worried about blocking from the TE position.

Okay, or maybe this: draft Humphrey, offensive line is massively improved, and get a good blocking TE in say the 4th or 5th round.
No other TE in that draft would have started over Ebron in this draft. Ebron is dogshit as a blocker. You think our improving run game could open any holes with Ebron not touching anyone and having defenders make TFLs without trying?

Sorry. Ebron was a weak link and going into day 2, that was the biggest improvement we could have made on the roster.

Also, no way Pat falls to the 3rd. He was a fringe 1st rounder and fell to us in the 2nd. I make this pick every time over a lineman.

No other TE in that draft would have started over Ebron in this draft. Ebron is dogshit as a blocker. You think our improving run game could open any holes with Ebron not touching anyone and having defenders make TFLs without trying?

I think the running game is better with an improved offensive line, rather than a better blocker at TE.

And Humphrey is waaaaay better than Green. Further, teams draft good run-blocking TE's in the 5th round.

If the Steelers go Najeh, Humphrey, Ben Cleveland, they have no need to sign the mediocre Trai Turner and have two interior starting offensive linemen day 1. They can get Moore in the 4th as they did, planning on maybe to have him handle RT or as a 3rd tackle.

Also, no way Pat falls to the 3rd. He was a fringe 1st rounder and fell to us in the 2nd. I make this pick every time over a lineman.

Didn't say Freiermuth would be available in the 3rd. Also, sorry, but your focus on Ebron's bad blocking and taking Freiermuth over Humphrey for that reason is basically obsessing over the sound system and ignoring the transmission. Center >>>>>>>>>>> TE in terms of blocking.

Creed isn't as athletic as Green, but he still gets to the second level after slipping and moves a defender out of the way. What may missed is Trey Smith, another guy the Steelers should've taken, just toss a Raiders' defensive lineman like a rag doll.

Creed is a people mover, a true tone setter on the offensive line and he's a rookie.

See, that's the correct direction for a center to move. Ahead and down the field, not pushed backward like a shopping cart (kudos to the poster who came up with that, can't remember who it was just now).

*Shudder*...
Gentry has been getting quite a few of those TE blocking assignments this season, if you haven't noticed.

I like Muth but would have taken Humphrey in round two. We did not fix the OL especially at center. Green is the weak link. Chucks isn't much better and Moore is just okay.

I think the running game is better with an improved offensive line, rather than a better blocker at TE.

And Humphrey is waaaaay better than Green. Further, teams draft good run-blocking TE's in the 5th round.

If the Steelers go Najeh, Humphrey, Ben Cleveland, they have no need to sign the mediocre Trai Turner and have two interior starting offensive linemen day 1. They can get Moore in the 4th as they did, planning on maybe to have him handle RT or as a 3rd tackle.

Didn't say Freiermuth would be available in the 3rd. Also, sorry, but your focus on Ebron's bad blocking and taking Freiermuth over Humphrey for that reason is basically obsessing over the sound system and ignoring the transmission. Center >>>>>>>>>>> TE in terms of blocking.
I wasn't referring to you on Pat falling in the 3rd, that was a different poster.

But didn't want another Kevin Rader on the roster. A guy that can block and make zero plays downfield. Sorry, I was over the TE carousel after Miller, and now that we finally found his replacement, people think he is easily replaceable. Not me.

Let's be honest, would you rather he learn, protecting a QB one step away from retiring, or one who has a whole career ahead of him. Brutal I know but I would rather it be this way. At least Ben is experienced enough to protect himself better than a rookie. I will take our lumps this year and have a young experienced line to protect the new guy.
Excellent points, SIL.

When we go to Muth I feel like the result is generally strong or strong effort. Not being facetious, is he crap on the plays we don't go to him or are we just not using him? It feels like the latter but I have to admit my days of watching everything NFL to evaluate the former has long since passed.

I mean, with DJ, Washington, Muth and Ray Ray, the last became our main target last game. Hell, we shut down Najee for an extended period. Why?