• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

PFF Projects Joe Haden’s FA Contract

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were gifted cornerback Joe Haden by the Cleveland Browns. Browns management felt like Haden couldn’t perform up to his contract, and released the veteran prior to the 2017 NFL season. Guess what? They were wrong as they often have been for more than two decades.

Haden wasn’t available for long as the Steelers instantly were on the phone with his agent. The cornerback-hungry Steelers wasted little time giving Haden a three-year contract worth $27 million. Haden was given a two-year extension in September of 2019 to keep the corner in black and gold and the team was rewarded with Haden’s best year as a Steeler. He had 5 interceptions, and 11 pass breakups.

Now that two-year contract that he signed in 2019 has run its course, and he’s headed to free agency for the first real time in his career. Haden has already said he doesn’t want to make a transition to safety like other aging corners have done in their careers. Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson both successfully made the switch during their Hall of Fame careers.

The situation remains the same for the Steelers like it has for most of the last decade. They need cornerbacks. It appeared like the team had solidified their secondary in 2019 after the extension of Haden, the signing of Steven Nelson, and the breakout of undrafted free agent Mike Hilton. But three years later, Haden is the last of the bunch standing fin Pittsburgh.

Now Pro Football Focus examined several free agents, and predicted what they will get on the open market. This is what they had to say about Haden:

Haden was looking for a contract extension before the 2021 season, but the Pittsburgh Steelers didn’t oblige. It’s likely he will now be playing elsewhere in 2022, but he’s still a solid zone cornerback with a high floor entering his age-33 season. Haden earned overall and coverage grades above 60.0 in each of his five seasons with the Steelers and looks to have a year or two left in him.

Strengths:
– Good tackler
– Eliminates explosive passes
– Veteran experience

Weaknesses:
– Lack of twitchiness
– No production at the catch point (INT/PBU)
– Age/Durability

Scheme Fit/Role:
NO. 2 OR NO. 3 CB IN A ZONE SCHEME: As an older defensive back playing much less press coverage, it’s time for Haden to take a look at the slot or play outside in a zone-heavy scheme. If playing inside is a dealbreaker, the Giants and Raiders may want to take a look at Haden. Patrick Graham and Gus Bradley run Cover 1 less than 15% of the time and allow their corners to play with the depth Haden needs to keep the game in front of him.

Recent Injury History:
Haden sustained a sprain in his left foot in 2021, but no structural damage requiring surgery was reported. He missed four games with the injury.

Contract Projection: One year, $5 million fully guaranteed

Now Haden has taken a step back since he signed his last major deal in 2019, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a vital piece to the Steelers defense. When the Steelers haven’t had Haden on the field, they haven’t won many games over the last two years. They’ve won all of one game with Haden out since 2020 began. That doesn’t exactly bode well for the Steelers if he leaves town.

Now Haden had approached the Steelers prior to 2021 and asked for an extension. The Steelers were deep in negotiations with TJ Watt and declined to make an offer to Haden. Haden came out publicly and declared that he would test free agency. That will happen in a few weeks. It’s unclear if Haden is over valuing himself, or that if the Steelers wanted to see what they had in their young talent. Spoiler, it wasn’t that solid. James Pierre struggled in a starting role, and Justin Layne continued to be a non-factor on defense. The only bright spot was Ahkello Witherspoon who the Steelers acquired in a trade right before the 2021 season started.

Now, if PFF is correct and Haden sees little interest, and only $5 million offered, the Steelers would be silly to not match that number. They might even benefit from a two-year $10 million dollar offer if Haden wants a little more security. It just would make zero sense to get rid of him, even his presence is worth more than that amount.

In a year where money isn’t tight, the Steelers HAVE to sign Haden if he is as cheap as is predicted. What do yinz think? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The Pittsburgh Steelers were gifted cornerback Joe Haden by the Cleveland Browns. Browns management felt like Haden couldn’t perform up to his contract, and released the veteran prior to the 2017 NFL season. Guess what? They were wrong as they often have been for more than two decades.

Haden wasn’t available for long as the Steelers instantly were on the phone with his agent. The cornerback-hungry Steelers wasted little time giving Haden a three-year contract worth $27 million. Haden was given a two-year extension in September of 2019 to keep the corner in black and gold and the team was rewarded with Haden’s best year as a Steeler. He had 5 interceptions, and 11 pass breakups.

Now that two-year contract that he signed in 2019 has run its course, and he’s headed to free agency for the first real time in his career. Haden has already said he doesn’t want to make a transition to safety like other aging corners have done in their careers. Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson both successfully made the switch during their Hall of Fame careers.

The situation remains the same for the Steelers like it has for most of the last decade. They need cornerbacks. It appeared like the team had solidified their secondary in 2019 after the extension of Haden, the signing of Steven Nelson, and the breakout of undrafted free agent Mike Hilton. But three years later, Haden is the last of the bunch standing fin Pittsburgh.

Now Pro Football Focus examined several free agents, and predicted what they will get on the open market. This is what they had to say about Haden:

Now Haden has taken a step back since he signed his last major deal in 2019, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a vital piece to the Steelers defense. When the Steelers haven’t had Haden on the field, they haven’t won many games over the last two years. They’ve won all of one game with Haden out since 2020 began. That doesn’t exactly bode well for the Steelers if he leaves town.

Now Haden had approached the Steelers prior to 2021 and asked for an extension. The Steelers were deep in negotiations with TJ Watt and declined to make an offer to Haden. Haden came out publicly and declared that he would test free agency. That will happen in a few weeks. It’s unclear if Haden is over valuing himself, or that if the Steelers wanted to see what they had in their young talent. Spoiler, it wasn’t that solid. James Pierre struggled in a starting role, and Justin Layne continued to be a non-factor on defense. The only bright spot was Ahkello Witherspoon who the Steelers acquired in a trade right before the 2021 season started.

Now, if PFF is correct and Haden sees little interest, and only $5 million offered, the Steelers would be silly to not match that number. They might even benefit from a two-year $10 million dollar offer if Haden wants a little more security. It just would make zero sense to get rid of him, even his presence is worth more than that amount.

In a year where money isn’t tight, the Steelers HAVE to sign Haden if he is as cheap as is predicted. What do yinz think? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Hilton was cheaper than expected, so was conner . They didn't keep either, they both had very good seasons, conner would have been a very good backup for Harris, Hilton would have thrived with his run D.

I guess my point is that even if it's cheap they might not even try, which sucks donkey balls

Hilton was cheaper than expected, so was conner . They didn't keep either, they both had very good seasons, conner would have been a very good backup for Harris, Hilton would have thrived with his run D.

I guess my point is that even if it's cheap they might not even try, which sucks donkey balls
Yep the free agent decision making hasn't been great. One of the biggest problems I have with the team. Let's see if a pocket of cash changes it.

Yep the free agent decision making hasn't been great. One of the biggest problems I have with the team. Let's see if a pocket of cash changes it.
As I posted in the other thread (about the wrong Joe), although it would've been a tough decision, the Steelers would've been better off in the short and long term by releasing Haden last year and using those cap dollars to keep Hilton and Nelson.

2 years 2.5 mill

$5 million is not much for a guy who was still our best CB last year. They still need to find a new No. 1 guy but for his leadership, etc. I'd give him $5 million for a year. He wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

$5 million is not much for a guy who was still our best CB last year. They still need to find a new No. 1 guy but for his leadership, etc. I'd give him $5 million for a year. He wants to stay in Pittsburgh.
I would rather have Witherspoon if it is either or. I like Haden but I think he is teetering on being done.

Love some Haden. Wish he'd reconsider switching to Safety, like other CBs have done. Would certainly extend his career and earnings. As such, I'd have no problem with a 2 year, $10-12 mil contract. Maybe overpay a bit, but its not like we have much behind him. Witherspoon is a FA, too. Layne needs to update his resume and get some interviews with UPS and FedEx. and take Lamar Jackson's cousin - James Pierre, who is Lamar Jackson's cousin - to the cheese line with him. Although this is James Pierre (Lamar Jackson's cousin) last season per the contract that started in '20.

I would rather have Witherspoon if it is either or. I like Haden but I think he is teetering on being done.
I'd like to have both. Haden is definitely not what he used to be but still good. Witherspoon played well for us when given the chance last year. Haden definitely isn't a shutdown CB and I'm not sure Witherspoon is either. Even if we had both, we still need a No. 1 CB. If Haden does leave, signing Witherspoon becomes that much more important.

Cheap Haden, 2 yr 11 ill 6 mil gauranteed, 2nd year easy cut.

DRAFT high round CB, true #1 starter type.

Keep Wither----- and B-O-O-M there it is............................

Salute the nation

I don't think Hilton left on bad terms but if all things were equal my guess he was leaving. The Steelers used every available avenue to keep him a Steelers player as long as they could as cheaply as they could. Which was their right.

I don't think Hilton left on bad terms but if all things were equal my guess he was leaving. The Steelers used every available avenue to keep him a Steelers player as long as they could as cheaply as they could. Which was their right.
I don't know, he seems to have a real chip on his shoulder when it comes to the Steelers. I think he's upset they didn't try to keep him.