• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Positive Sign For Joe Haden and Steelers?

Time to use #20 pick to bring in a top-flight CB. Re-sign Witherspoon to be the #2, continue using Sutton in the slot and hope he improves over his 5 TD's allowed in 72 targets.

Really need to upgrade the CB position. Haden's QB rating allowed has gone from 66.5 in 2019, to 75.9 in 2020 (both very good), to 100.1 last season (pretty bad), with his picks going from 5 to 2 to 0. I doubt that troublesome trend improves in 2022.
Build around fast bigs or big ugly oline. Fast little guys are a dime a dozen.

Time to use #20 pick to bring in a top-flight CB. Re-sign Witherspoon to be the #2, continue using Sutton in the slot and hope he improves over his 5 TD's allowed in 72 targets.

Really need to upgrade the CB position. Haden's QB rating allowed has gone from 66.5 in 2019, to 75.9 in 2020 (both very good), to 100.1 last season (pretty bad), with his picks going from 5 to 2 to 0. I doubt that troublesome trend improves in 2022.
Haden ----> Strong Safety?

he does tackle fairly well. Not like he's gonna bring the wood but still.

I'm for bring back Witherspoon at reasonable price and then finding your nickle /dime in FA if not on roster. If it's Haden for a year or two great. If not find someone with less pedigree but younger.

I'm for bring back Witherspoon at reasonable price and then finding your nickle /dime in FA if not on roster. If it's Haden for a year or two great. If not find someone with less pedigree but younger.
I think the Nickel and Dime are Sutton and last year rookie

I like JH. Hope they can get a deal done. He has lost a step...time does that, but he'd be better than what we have or would draft, and any other decent FA is gonna cost too much of the cap.

Not many fall to 20, but some do. JC Jackson was a free agent for crying out loud. Xavien Howard was drafted in the 2nd round after running a 4.58 40. Kenny Moore was another undrafted guy. The Cowboys got Diggs in the 2nd round. It happens.

This draft has three really good prospects in Stingley, Gardner and Elam. All three have the physical skills, productivity against top-flight competition and talent to be excellent CB's. Also, McDuffie is just a tick below those guys. Those four are as plug-and-play as you can find. I don't think Stingley or Gardner fall to 20 but Elam looks like he may. Big, fast, experienced, shut down Mechie. McDuffie almost certain to be there at 20. I don't like him as much as Elam since Elam is 6'2", but he is a damn good CB, experienced both man and zone. He took on some very good WR's in the PAC-12.
I think it’s more than just being a good CB, but a good one in our system.

For example when most teams run a cover 3 (a very common defense) out of 3-4, the OLBs are more responsible for coverage.

In our defense the OLBs are EDGE rushers and put a lot more on our DBs — especially in comparison to a cover-2.

It takes a very gifted CB to succeed and stand out in our system and those guys don’t last until pick #20

Since Shades has been here? Hell, they haven’t hit on a 1st round CB in the three decades since Woodson fell to them.
Ike Taylor and Willie Gay were pretty good but Willie came back much better after spending a year with the Cards.

I think it’s more than just being a good CB, but a good one in our system.

For example when most teams run a cover 3 (a very common defense) out of 3-4, the OLBs are more responsible for coverage.

In our defense the OLBs are EDGE rushers and put a lot more on our DBs — especially in comparison to a cover-2.

It takes a very gifted CB to succeed and stand out in our system and those guys don’t last until pick #20
again, there are 4 to 6 CBs in this draft with a 1st round value according to most analysts. So yes, this time there probably will be one there at 1.20 waiting to be drafted

again, there are 4 to 6 CBs in this draft with a 1st round value according to most analysts. So yes, this time there probably will be one there at 1.20 waiting to be drafted
Again, a CB in one system might not be as successful as in another

Again, a CB in one system might not be as successful as in another
Ok but most of these guys would thrive in any scheme, they are also good against the run, especially McDuffie and booth

Ok but most of these guys would thrive in any scheme, they are also good against the run, especially McDuffie and booth
We haven’t drafted a CB who made a Pro Bowl or All Pro since the 1980s. We’ve only had 1 Pro Bowler since 1997 - Joe Haden.

Granted it’s hard. Chad Scott had 5 INTs with 2 pick sixes in 2001, his 2nd year in row of 5 INTs. Though Scott doesn’t come to mind when thinking about great CBs.

I can’t help but think in watching our scheme we really need a blue chip prospect. Consider we had to trade first round picks for the only DBs that have been All Pros, Polamalu & Fitzpatrick, who were both selected before our average spot of 24th (since 2000), we’re not seeing that prospect often

We haven’t drafted a CB who made a Pro Bowl or All Pro since the 1980s. We’ve only had 1 Pro Bowler since 1997 - Joe Haden.

Granted it’s hard. Chad Scott had 5 INTs with 2 pick sixes in 2001, his 2nd year in row of 5 INTs. Though Scott doesn’t come to mind when thinking about great CBs.

I can’t help but think in watching our scheme we really need a blue chip prospect. Consider we had to trade first round picks for the only DBs that have been All Pros, Polamalu & Fitzpatrick, who were both selected before our average spot of 24th (since 2000), we’re not seeing that prospect often
yeap I completely agree, that's why rarely there are drafts with more than 2 consensus 1st round CBs but this year seems like is one of those exceptions. I think there's enough depth to get a quality ILB at the 3rd round, same goes to WR that might be even 5th round deep. On the other hand the top OT are few and there's a lot of demand so I think the Steelers wont get a chance at neither of them and will have to go for a 2nd rounder if they dont sign one in FA. DL is very shallow and I think after the 2nd round there won't be any targets for a 3 downs DT so either get him in the 1st or 2nd or just get another limited NT like Buggs, Davis, Shade Tree. OG are to be found all over the draft but value seems to be after the 1st round until maybe the 4th?

Now CBs there seems to be a cluster at the top, Stingley, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie and then a 2nd group (late 1st and early round 2) with Elam, Gordon, Woolen, McCreary all 4 probably would start for us and gake a couple of years to cement themselves as #1 CBs for their team and then a 3rd developmental group with a few question marks but more than enough talent for the NFL: Goodrich (speed?), Emerson, Bryant (speed?, though I hope we get this kid if there isnt a CB picked earlier), Kendrick (off field issues?), Jones (Nickel only due to size?) and then the rest, where there's a lot of speed and length but of course they lack in other places like technique or instincts or fluidity.

Given the expected run at OT and EDGE (lots of talent in this draft it seems) and a couple of teams reaching for a QB there probably will be one of the top 4 available. My worry is that by our 2.20 pick the 2nd group of CBs will be gone too and we all know how expensive the free agent market is for that position, also that this years it seems that there will be a lot of Guards, Safeties and even Centers available to invest there and free up needs for the draft. So as right now there's literally 0 outside starting CB talent on the roster the investment should be of 1 in free agency and 1 in the draft to have a competent team on D

yeap I completely agree, that's why rarely there are drafts with more than 2 consensus 1st round CBs but this year seems like is one of those exceptions. I think there's enough depth to get a quality ILB at the 3rd round, same goes to WR that might be even 5th round deep. On the other hand the top OT are few and there's a lot of demand so I think the Steelers wont get a chance at neither of them and will have to go for a 2nd rounder if they dont sign one in FA. DL is very shallow and I think after the 2nd round there won't be any targets for a 3 downs DT so either get him in the 1st or 2nd or just get another limited NT like Buggs, Davis, Shade Tree. OG are to be found all over the draft but value seems to be after the 1st round until maybe the 4th?

Now CBs there seems to be a cluster at the top, Stingley, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie and then a 2nd group (late 1st and early round 2) with Elam, Gordon, Woolen, McCreary all 4 probably would start for us and gake a couple of years to cement themselves as #1 CBs for their team and then a 3rd developmental group with a few question marks but more than enough talent for the NFL: Goodrich (speed?), Emerson, Bryant (speed?, though I hope we get this kid if there isnt a CB picked earlier), Kendrick (off field issues?), Jones (Nickel only due to size?) and then the rest, where there's a lot of speed and length but of course they lack in other places like technique or instincts or fluidity.

Given the expected run at OT and EDGE (lots of talent in this draft it seems) and a couple of teams reaching for a QB there probably will be one of the top 4 available. My worry is that by our 2.20 pick the 2nd group of CBs will be gone too and we all know how expensive the free agent market is for that position, also that this years it seems that there will be a lot of Guards, Safeties and even Centers available to invest there and free up needs for the draft. So as right now there's literally 0 outside starting CB talent on the roster the investment should be of 1 in free agency and 1 in the draft to have a competent team on D
I don't pretend to be a scout, but all things considered I would go after a CB first, because it's just so damn hard to play CB in the NFL. I still think if Jets didn't sweep up Revis 1 pick ahead of us in 2007, we would have had the secondary that would have won Super Bowl XLV, then he would have given the headache afterwards...

But we've been able to find OL in all rounds of the draft. The only OT we've ever hit on with a first round pick has been Leon Searcy - and Jacksonville snatched him away just as he was about to become a star. Yet we've found Marvel Smith, Marcus Gilbert and Max Starks with 2nd and 3rd rounders, late gems like John Jackson and Kelvin Beachum, Free Agents Wayne Gandy and Will Wolford as well as UDFA Villanueva.

Between drafting late with Guards (Faneca and DeCastro) who could be a top 5 prospect but go undervalued, and finding the right guys on the OL like signing Hartings, drafting Pouncey/Dawson.... the OL has twice gone through complete overhaul in 2 seasons from one of worst to among the best in last 2 decades. I think it would be easier to rebuild OL vs secondary.

But don't overreach for an Artie Burns please.

Ike Taylor and Willie Gay were pretty good but Willie came back much better after spending a year with the Cards.
Ike Taylor was phenomenal in coverage - though he did not have the hands nor did he try to be a playmaker by breaking routes, etc. He stayed right were he knew he was exceptional at -- and that is 100% fine. I'd prefer he did that vs. try to be what he wasn't. He more than filled the role asked of him.

Willie Gay was overrated and the pick-6s were more a result of right place right time vs. being a great CB. Give me consistently very good vs. a Gay's occasional splash play but best as a nickel CB.

Litos spelled out exactly how I see the CB group - the draft has quite a few top-tier candidates, and a good one will be there at 20. The talent pool seems to be that the Steelers can get a very good RT at 52 as well. Go CB, RT, get two quality starters and what I think is going to be a solid #1 CB if Elam is taken at 20.

Not a ton of film I have seen on these players taking on running plays. Elam disrupted with quick WR toss to Mechie once, blew up one running play to Robinson, blew up a toss on a running play against South Carolina.