• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Phillip Rivers a hall of famer??

I was scratching my head last night when Simms was talking about how RIvers' throwing motion is allowing him to keep his arm healthy as he ages, comparing it to a good golf swing or some ****. Rivers has a **** throwing motion. I don't get the HoF talk at all. He's never won anything significant.

If he had a championship or two, I think he'd be in the conversation. He's always put up great numbers, and was on some very good teams earlier in his career. His teams have been garbage in recent years and he's essentially carrying them. I hate the Chargers with a passion (almost up there with the *s and our division rivals) but I respect Rivers' game. But I don't think he's a HOF'er if he doesn't take home a Lombardi. Too many years a day late and a dollar short

I was scratching my head last night when Simms was talking about how RIvers' throwing motion is allowing him to keep his arm healthy as he ages, comparing it to a good golf swing or some ****. Rivers has a **** throwing motion. I don't get the HoF talk at all. He's never won anything significant.

Stats play a role, and if he can play 3-4 more years at a high level, his stats will rank among the best ever. He hasn't exactly played on great teams, so it's hard to blame their lack of success solely on him. I don't seem to remember Marino holding up any Lombardis, and he's regarded as elite even among the elite. Rivers is no Marino, but he'd be far from the worst member of the Hall.

He does have impressive numbers but without a ring, I don't see it. A ring certainly doesn't mean you are a HOF'er but for him, I think he needs one or he needs to keep putting up big numbers for 4 to 5 more years. Without that ring, he is sitting behind Ben and Eli to get in and I don't think Eli is anywhere near as good as Ben. However, he has 2 rings and at least one SB MVP.

0 conference championships, 0 Superbowl appearances.....easy to decide based upon the HOF criterias nowadays.

As Peter King likes to say, Hall of Very Good. His numbers are impressive but nothing of significance as far as winning goes. Best team was 14-2 team that got beat down by NE at home in the AFCCG and they fired Marty for that.

He's never won anything significant for sure, but his numbers are up there, esp by the time he retires. I never really thought about it, but he's going to be 6,7,8 in most everything before he retires. Ben, Eli and Philyss will all exchange positions in that top 10 lineup, but if you're top 10 in yards, td's , completions , rating, you're in.

No, and he's not even close. The Hall has gotten ridiculous lately where it seems like anybody who was "good" is getting pimped as a hall of famer. I mean, come on, Andre Tippett? Really? Rivers is nowhere near a hall of famer. And the stats argument doesn't fly, as the stats have become so inflated in the last decade, it's like a video game. Below average QBs can throw for over 4,000 yards in a season.

He does have impressive numbers but without a ring, I don't see it. A ring certainly doesn't mean you are a HOF'er but for him, I think he needs one or he needs to keep putting up big numbers for 4 to 5 more years. Without that ring, he is sitting behind Ben and Eli to get in and I don't think Eli is anywhere near as good as Ben. However, he has 2 rings and at least one SB MVP.

My take.

Rivers is an excellent quarterback stuck on a bad team playing in the era that features quite a few of the best all time.

Without a ring, he won't get in, but I do think he'll enter the nomination process as a quarterback, same as McNair, and Simms and make it close enough for speciation.

Colbert really liked him

Rivers accomplishments:

5× Pro Bowl (2006, 2009–2011, 2013)
NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2013)
NFL passing yards leader (2010)
NFL passing touchdowns co-leader (2008)
San Diego Chargers 50th Anniversary Team

* Career NFL statistics as of Week 6, 2016 *

Pass attempts: 5,540
Pass completions: 3,597
Percentage: 64.9
TD–INT: 293–138
Passing yards: 43,094
Passer rating: 95.9

Working against Rivers is his personality, small media presence, and the fact that in his time, he's not considered better than Hall of fame locks in Ben, Brady, Manning, or Manning.

Last edited:
He's a good stat guy but when I think of elite QBs in this generation he doesn't come to mind.

Playoff Success Required.

Simple as that.

Playoff Success Required.

Simple as that.

Archie Manning didn't have much, but in general I agree with you.

Archie Manning didn't have much, but in general I agree with you.

And Archie isn't in the hall. That being said, if Rivers goes another 4+ years at the same level his in. No question.

And I agree, what was up with the Simms golf swing reference?

Working with Rivers is his personality, small media presence, and the fact that in his time, he's not considered better than Hall of fame locks in Ben, Brady, Manning, or Manning.

His personality? He comes off as a childish piece of **** when things don't go his way on the field.

My take.

Rivers is an excellent quarterback stuck on a bad team playing in the era that features quite a few of the best all time.

Without a ring, he won't get in, but I do think he'll enter the nomination process as a quarterback, same as McNair, and Simms and make it close enough for speciation.

Colbert really liked him

Rivers accomplishments:

Working with Rivers is his personality, small media presence, and the fact that in his time, he's not considered better than Hall of fame locks in Ben, Brady, Manning, or Manning.

He's beating Ben in completion %, TDs, INT% and passer rating. One more pro bowl, and Ben has never led in TDs (hopefully that changes this year).

The only difference is, Rivers does poorly when pressured, and he shrinks in the playoffs.

Is Tony Romo a HOF candidate?

Please don't upon up the doors for guys like this...Romo, Rivers, Stafford, etc...all guys who will put up big numbers but likely will leave the game with no hardware. It's a passing league so one must grade on a curve and consider the state of the league when they played. Rivers couldn't hold Marino's jock.

Maybe they can open up a fantasy football HOF and induct him in there, right now an induction to the real HOF should be nothing more than fantasy for him.

My take.

Colbert really liked him

Rivers accomplishments:

Actually, it was Cowher who wanted him, being an NC State Alumni. He and wife were acquaintances with River's parents. Colbert knew he had no shot to fall to the Steelers without a trade. Fortunately the SD/Eli stuff that was swirling...

His personality? He comes off as a childish piece of **** when things don't go his way on the field.

I meant to type, Working against Rivers. Yes, he's a real hot head when he losses.

Actually, it was Cowher who wanted him, being an NC State Alumni. He and wife were acquaintances with River's parents. Colbert knew he had no shot to fall to the Steelers without a trade. Fortunately the SD/Eli stuff that was swirling...

Colbert loved him and raved about his pro day calling him very accurate. If Ben was taken early and Rivers was there, he's the guy we draft.

Yea, go ahead and name his signature wins that make him HOF worthy. I am not claiming a QB has to win at least one SB to qualify, but he still better have some sterling wins on his resume, preferable some in the post season.

Marino, Fouts and Tarkington never won a ring, but obviously they were still HOF worthy. I don't even recall very big regular season wins by Rivers.

Stats play a role, and if he can play 3-4 more years at a high level, his stats will rank among the best ever. He hasn't exactly played on great teams, so it's hard to blame their lack of success solely on him. I don't seem to remember Marino holding up any Lombardis, and he's regarded as elite even among the elite. Rivers is no Marino, but he'd be far from the worst member of the Hall.

If Marino and Fouts played in the modern era they would both have an additional 33% increase in yards and TDs.