• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Phillip Rivers a hall of famer??

The same things were said about Elway in the mid 90's, although he did have some playoff success at that point. Who knows, Rivers could end up going out with a SB win and then the whole conversation changes. I think he will get in, but thats just my own biased opinion.

Biggest thing to count against him that I can see is phill simms thinks he is good. If simms is for it I am 99 percent sure it is a bad idea based on that alone.

Last edited:
Good question about Rivers.

I know he passed Fouts last night as the Chargers' all-time passing leader. But the way passing yards are piled up these days, that doesn't mean so much.

I do know that Fouts was a better QB overall. And he didn't fling panicky INTs like Rivers does.

Currently Rivers don't make the HOF. That could change but with current (everything) he just doesn't have the horsepower resume to make it. Hell, some here debate if Ben will make it and his resume is QUITE a bit more complete. Wins in more than a regular season do mean something. There is only one QB with two super bowl wins that isn't in the hall of fame and Rivers has how many again???

**** the CHEATRIOTS !!!!!!!

Salute the nation

He's beating Ben in completion %, TDs, INT% and passer rating. One more pro bowl, and Ben has never led in TDs (hopefully that changes this year).

The only difference is, Rivers does poorly when pressured, and he shrinks in the playoffs.

He also didn't play his first two years, sitting behind Drew Brees making his stats all the more impressive.

How many of those stats were put up when it mattered? It's easy to pad your stats when the other team is in prevent because they're kicking your ***

You can get in the hof with no championships, but Rivers isnt in that Marino moon platform yet... One great year might get him in in time, but right now he will finish behind Ben and Manning in most categories... And wont ever be in the discussion as best in his era

I think the better question might be, if Rivers fell to the Steelers, would he be in the HOF?

How many of those stats were put up when it mattered? It's easy to pad your stats when the other team is in prevent because they're kicking your ***

He has two losing seasons and has a very good winning percentage with one of the most poorly run teams in the NFL/ Except for Antonio Gates he has played with some mediocre receivers.

Colbert loved him and raved about his pro day calling him very accurate. If Ben was taken early and Rivers was there, he's the guy we draft.

Colbert or any GM will rave about any player before and after the draft. Part of the job description. You never tip your hand to all other 31 teams. Cowher played for NC State, knew the coaches and River's father. Kay Cowher (and her twin sister) played for NC State women's basketball. So the Cowhers were VERY familiar with athletics at NC State. Rivers was rated higher than Ben as was Eli, both because of level of competition and conferences. Ben was not projected to be picked above either.

I thought Fouts was over-rated when he played...he benefitted from a "gimmick" type offense called Air Coryell...this was something new and different in the league at that time... and defenses had trouble game planning for it...especially in the early years of Air Coryell...

I would rather have Rivers over Fouts any day ...and if Fouts if a HOF'er, that Rivers should be for sure IMO..

Philip Rivers is absolutely a Hall of Famer. He has put up great numbers without much around him for most of his career. Say what you want about playoff wins but Ben and Eli played on teams with better defenses and even when Peyton won in 2006 the defense finally played worth a damn. The Chargers D has been **** since Marty was fired.

One great year might get him in in time, but right now he will finish behind Ben and Manning in most categories... And wont ever be in the discussion as best in his era

That's just it. When considering a QB for the HOF, you have to view his performance/success relative to the peers of his era.

Rivers' cumulative stat rankings are impressive, but he's been doing it in an era when every QB worth a damn is throwing for 25+tds and 4000+yards every season

For most of Marino's career, 15tds and 3000yds was considered good production for an NFL QB, which illustrated how dominant Marino was, when one considers his average season.

Rivers' will get HOF consideration when the times comes, but I just do not see him getting in unless he leads the league in TDs pass a couple more times and/or wins a championship.

He also has the obstacle revolving around the question of just how many QBs from this era are they actually going to vote in?

Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees are locks, which is probably going to make it harder for guys like Ben and Eli to get in, let alone Rivers.

Last edited:
That's just it. When considering a QB for the HOF, you have to view his performance/success relative to the peers of his era.

Rivers' cumulative stat rankings are impressive, but he's been doing it in an era when every QB worth a damn is throwing for 25+tds and 4000+yards every season

For most of Marino's career, 15tds and 3000yds was considered good production for an NFL QB, which illustrated how dominant Marino was, when one considers his average season.

Rivers' will get HOF consideration when the times comes, but I just do not see him getting in unless he leads the league in TDs pass a couple more times and/or wins a championship.

He also has the obstacle revolving around the question of just how many QBs from this era are they actually going to vote in?

Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees are locks, which is probably going to make it harder for guys like Ben and Eli to get in, let alone Rivers.

Ben is a lock too

I think you forgot one of the LOCKs from this era, Ben Rothlesberger!!!!

Salute the nation

Ok, so to apply the Keltner test to him.

Was he ever regarded as the best player in Football? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in Football?
In the Era of Brady, Manning, etc, no way.

Was he the best player on his team?
I think Tomlinson was the best player for a number of years, but Rivers has been of late.

Was he the best player in Football at his position?

No, see Question 1. But he had a really nice stretch from 2006 to 2010 where he was one of the best.

Did he have an impact on a number of playoff races?
The Chargers were quite good in 2006 and 2009, but have been mediocre going on 7 years.

Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime?
He's 35, I see no reason why he will slow down anytime soon.

Is he the very best Football player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame?
Not even close. But once Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, Warner all get in, I believe that Rivers may have a case to make.

Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?
His numbers are quite good.

Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?

Will easily finish in the top 10 in almost every good QB categorie.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics?
Played in a passing era, but his numbers were near the top a bunch of different seasons.

Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame?
When he retires he won't be

How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award?
He never won an MVP but he had 5 seasons in the top 10 according to value and had 3 top 5 seasons. If his team won more, he may have grabbed an MVP at some point

How many All-Pro-type seasons did he have? How many Pro Bowl games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame?

Played in 5 pro bowls, never an AP All-Pro.

If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the Division?
They've made the playoffs 5 of the 10 seasons he was starting. Has a 4-5 playoff record. Never made a super bowl.

What impact did the player have on Football history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment?

Will be well known long after he retires for the Manning for Rivers swap. A trade that worked out well for both teams. Rivers also has 8 kids and although only 2 of them are boys, it's possible that he will have many children and maybe even grandchildren that play pro football.

Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines

Rivers has never been involved in any off the field troubles as far as i can tell. His attitude on the field can be questionable at times, but there's nothing that should disqualify him.

if their was a fantasy football hall of fame, I would say he was a lock. I pick that guy up in round 9-12 every year and every year he outperforms guys draft in earlier rounds.

Not to play the what if game but.... if Rivers was drafted by the steelers he would probably have to rings.

Warren Moon and Dan Fouts are in without significant playoff accomplishments either. Those are his comparisons, like it or not.

I have Rivers above Eli Manning as well regardless of Eli's Super Bowl and playoff accomplishments.

Honestly, I wouldn't have Moon, Fouts, Rivers OR Eli in my hall of fame, but that's me and not reality.

What it might come down to is volume but he is behind both Roethlisberger and Eli for career starts at this point in his career so can he outlast both of them? Into his 40's? And stay productive?

Might be a wait-and-see game over the next 5 seasons.

I think the better question might be, if Rivers fell to the Steelers, would he be in the HOF?

With the two rings that Ben has, yes, without, he's in the same position as he is now, a lot of stats and very few big game wins and a borderline candidate for the HOF who could get in on a down year.

Papillon