• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickett or the offense?

Keeping Kenny on sideline to learn is same as bringing in Fields. If you don't risk a sub 9 or 10 win groundhog day Tomlin season you have zero reference to give him a 25 million dollar option next year. Time to sink or swim with KP. If you are planning to sit him for anyone draft his replacement if he falls to you at 1.20.

Kenny doesn't have it, he's a career back up at best. He's played 25 games in the NFL, he does nothing that makes you think he can be a franchise guy. The two games everyone brings up when hyping Pickett are the Ravens and Raiders games in 2022, where he lead last drive TD's for the win, well up until that point the offense lead by Pickett scored 9 and 6 points in those games.

I think audibles is a little overrated. I've said this before, the guys I watch Steeler games with and I used to laugh when you'd see Ben going through the audible motions. He'd be pointing, guys are shifting, announcers saying he's audibling, "BLUE 92" and all that stuff...and...not much. You'd be waiting for this great play and pfft. I think we confuse audibiling sometimes with Ben's great improvisational skills.

It reminds me of another thing I have argued is overrated...halftime adjustments. I had to laugh...NFL films just released something with Peyton Manning about the myth of halftime adjustments. You can probably find it on Youtube.

The last thing is how can you be so sure it will NOT be fair? I know Tomlin is the main variable here, but at the same time I think previously they had a type of QB in mind. That was misguided as we know now, but still. But teams do this all the time. They have a certain idea of what they want out of an OLB or whatever, and they get players that fit what they want. The whole Canada offense experiment blew up in their faces, so we'll see. I gotta think they learned something.
Audibles
Edibles
Improvise
Ls10

I think Pickett will be better this year. I mean, he has to be, right. Can’t really sink much lower. We will find out if it’s the system, Tomlin or Pickett.

I think Kenny Pickett’s ceiling is Andy Dalton. I don’t think he’ll ever be top 10. Can you win with Andy Dalton? Perhaps, but you are going to need a lot of breaks along the way.

I just hope he’s more good than bad. I’d take that at this point.

You are not going to win a playoff game with Russell Wilson. Plus he is a first rate tool as far as I can tell. So bring him in and live in your fantasy world for a couple extra weeks. Enjoy.

He is 62 percent completion. Some people clamoring for Fields at 61 percent. There is a mechanical issue with most incomplete passes. By every QB.
Fields couldn’t beat Stetson Bennett in a legit QB competition

He is KP with more mobility and way more fumbles

I’d stick with KP over Fields if those were the only two options

But there is a draft right around the corner

I’m not seeing any Kenny Pickett hate. What I’m seeing is people that don’t think he’s a very good QB. There’s a difference.
I’ve never met KP-can’t say whether I’d like him or not…doesn’t matter

I have seen tons of average and bad QBs, KP appears to be in that range

And this is a football team, good football teams require good-great QB play to win when it matters

You’re spot on-no hate
It’s offseason and fans are doing what fans do this time of year
Dissecting the team during a lull before the draft

And we would immediately have one of the best passers in the NFL & a FRANCHISE QB with a cannon and great touch to put fear within our division rivals…
If he is that how could you pass on him?
Big if tho

A big black bad *** lefty...

Just like Willie Stargell

Kenny is an enigma right now. Look at his college career. He had ONE incredible season as a college QB. It was his second year with a decent OC and better protection. What will Fields bring to the table? Imo, more uncertainty, for sure. He might just be KP without the "play safe/no turnovers" edict.

Any vet looked good in the shitshamble offense we've been running? Even HOF Big Ben had some of the worst or the worst success rates of his career with the Canada offense.

Our new OC is the tale of two cities. He ran a run-centric offense with heavy use of a lead blocker (either a FB or Wing TE) in Tennessee but ran a different scheme in ATL.

Baby Heyward had a lot of errors in his play last year after looking promising as a rookie. I think he, and another "move/flex" TE will be the key to running the Titans offense this year BUT we still don't know if our OL coach can teach the blocking OR if we have the talent along the OL to perform the required wide-zone scheme. Arthur Smith's experience as a position coach may help the TEs and the OL too.

I guess we'll see BUT if we don't resign Rudolph, we gotta get a cheap vet AND a draft pick at QB. Rudolph NOT resigning might be a godsend in that we avoid the interdivision of our offensive players lobbying for or against KP.

Kenny is an enigma right now. Look at his college career. He had ONE incredible season as a college QB. It was his second year with a decent OC and better protection. What will Fields bring to the table? Imo, more uncertainty, for sure. He might just be KP without the "play safe/no turnovers" edict.

Any vet looked good in the shitshamble offense we've been running? Even HOF Big Ben had some of the worst or the worst success rates of his career with the Canada offense.

Our new OC is the tale of two cities. He ran a run-centric offense with heavy use of a lead blocker (either a FB or Wing TE) in Tennessee but ran a different scheme in ATL.

Baby Heyward had a lot of errors in his play last year after looking promising as a rookie. I think he, and another "move/flex" TE will be the key to running the Titans offense this year BUT we still don't know if our OL coach can teach the blocking OR if we have the talent along the OL to perform the required wide-zone scheme. Arthur Smith's experience as a position coach may help the TEs and the OL too.

I guess we'll see BUT if we don't resign Rudolph, we gotta get a cheap vet AND a draft pick at QB. Rudolph NOT resigning might be a godsend in that we avoid the interdivision of our offensive players lobbying for or against KP.
Small sample size, but, Rudolph looked decent last year. I've heard (not checked into it) that he was the #1 rated QB during the 3 weeks he started.
I kinda think there will be those lobbying for or against KP no matter who is brought back/in if he continues to play the way he has been. Players know players. Players know a stud when they see one. They see things in practice, etc. that we wouldn't be privy to. I find it kind of alarming that there is so much noise coming from our players about needing better QB play.

I thought Kenny was ranked 27th among starting qbs last year. I really don't think he will get into the top 15. Between the shackles of Tomlin and his own limitations I think Kenny's production stays about the same.

The Panthers are looking for receiver help
DJ and Kenny for Young
Let's get this done!

He was never used properly in Carolina

The Panthers are looking for receiver help
DJ and Kenny for Young
Let's get this done!

He was never used properly in Carolina
Eh, Young was one of the very few QBs who looked worse than Kenny last year.

Kenny had a much better situation as well. Canada sucked but so did Fields OC. Kenny had good weapons with Najee, DJ, Pickens, and Freiermuth. Fields had Darnell Mooney as his top WR for his first 2 seasons. Last year he finally had a decent WR in DJ Moore and showed some improvement.

Kenny has 13 career TD passes in 25 games. Fields had 11 TD passes over the last 5 games.

I don't think anybody is clamoring for Fields, but he at least represents possible improvement over Kenny. Fields and Kenny have not played well so far but at least Fields has elite upside. What's Kenny's upside, Geno Smith? Derek Carr?