• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Police use water cannons on Dakota Access protesters in freezing weather

Spike

Reaction score
The MSM is strangely uninterested in covering this...Can you imagine if the Trump administration was doing this?

Police, citing ‘ongoing riot,’ use water cannons on Dakota Access protesters in freezing weather

Tensions over the Dakota Access oil pipeline flared again Sunday when North Dakota law enforcement used water cannons to disperse a group of about 400 protesters trying to move past a barricaded bridge toward construction sites for the project.

11-20-2016_ND_coup_on_Water_Protectors.JPG

As temperatures in Cannon Ball, N.D., dropped into the 20s, police in riot gear sprayed activists with a hose mounted atop an armored vehicle and formed a line to prevent them from advancing up the road, according to the Bismarck Tribune. Protesters also reported being pelted with rubber bullets, tear gas and concussion grenades during the standoff, which lasted until late Sunday night.

_92577144_2ff0fbbd-edd4-415f-8342-15485e4dc8e9.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dakota-access-protesters-in-freezing-weather/

They need to follow that up with tasers for a good "wet shock."

They need to line those cannons up for the protesters that will be coming for the inauguration in Jan in DC.

Sometimes there actually is good news.

Last edited:
Wow. Some of you guys are real pieces of ****. I mean seriously.

Interesting.

I wonder if a decent lawyer could take an exposure death suit against the national guard for that? Assuming a protester was dressed appropriately for the weather before he/she was doused with water and then left out in 20 degree weather overnight...

Hmmm. Those are the kinds of civil cases that can make a lawyer's career.

I still don't understand the environmentalist's position against pipelines.

Pipelines are significantly safer than any other method of crude oil transport. SIGNIFICANTLY. And there is literally no other way to transport the quantity of oil we consume/need in this country by rail, tanker or truck.

Canada moves 98% of all it's crude oil by pipeline. Pipeline technology has drastically improved with the advent of polyethylene pipes and plastic welded joints as opposed to the old-school steel and mechanical joint pipelines of the 1950's. Directional drilling and trenchless technology make installing pipelines extremely safe for the environment and non-intrusive to wildlife.

The idea/thought that this pipeline could contaminate the water of a major river is just crazy. There are probably 5-10 other pipelines with raw sewage, oil, natural gas, etc. that run parallel, in the floodplain or under this same river upstream.

It's just a bunch of bullshit that no one thinks through to the end result if they are successful. This is the worst example of "NIMBY" I've ever heard and these radicals are just going to push the problem (and danger) of oil spills into more populated areas with a higher risk of happening.

But don't let the facts of this get in the way of a good protest.....

Interesting.

I wonder if a decent lawyer could take an exposure death suit against the national guard for that? Assuming a protester was dressed appropriately for the weather before he/she was doused with water and then left out in 20 degree weather overnight...

Hmmm. Those are the kinds of civil cases that can make a lawyer's career.

Leaving them out there? They are choosing to be there. The people with the hoses are trying to make them go home - and put out the fires these jerks are starting.

I still don't understand the environmentalist's position against pipelines.

Pipelines are significantly safer than any other method of crude oil transport. SIGNIFICANTLY. And there is literally no other way to transport the quantity of oil we consume/need in this country by rail, tanker or truck.

Canada moves 98% of all it's crude oil by pipeline. Pipeline technology has drastically improved with the advent of polyethylene pipes and plastic welded joints as opposed to the old-school steel and mechanical joint pipelines of the 1950's. Directional drilling and trenchless technology make installing pipelines extremely safe for the environment and non-intrusive to wildlife.

The idea/thought that this pipeline could contaminate the water of a major river is just crazy. There are probably 5-10 other pipelines with raw sewage, oil, natural gas, etc. that run parallel, in the floodplain or under this same river upstream.

It's just a bunch of bullshit that no one thinks through to the end result if they are successful. This is the worst example of "NIMBY" I've ever heard and these radicals are just going to push the problem (and danger) of oil spills into more populated areas with a higher risk of happening.

But don't let the facts of this get in the way of a good protest.....

They're pissed that the caribou have to move over a few feet.

Wow. Some of you guys are real pieces of ****. I mean seriously.

No the pieces of **** are the protestors. This is a shakedown nothing more. The pipeline isn't on the reservation, it doesn't go through sacred burial sites and there have already been a ton of studies done to confirm the route. It is being built in an existing utility easement where there is already a pipeline in the ground.

Well I personally am all for using more of our own natural resources.

And if protestors are starting fires and then blocking people from putting out the fires, well that's something different altogether. If you're parked in front of a fire hydrant, it could end badly for your car.

Furthermore, if there are legal easements to put the pipeline through - well it's just getting silly, isn't it?

They need to line those cannons up for the protesters that will be coming for the inauguration in Jan in DC.

I have been wondering why they haven't used water cannons on these rioters before this. Water cannons have been part of crowd control since the '60's but are strangely absent lately. Ferguson, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Charlotte all would have been good places to wet down burning buildings and deter the criminal element.

I wonder if a decent lawyer could take an exposure death suit against the national guard for that?

Except that nobody is going to die from getting hosed off, even in 20 degree weather. Jeez, if a person dies of exposure under those circumstances, then the dude was too stupid to get indoors and change clothes.

So the "damages" are going to be a case of the sniffles and emotional distress for excessive force. Yeah, pass.

No the pieces of **** are the protestors. This is a shakedown nothing more. The pipeline isn't on the reservation, it doesn't go through sacred burial sites and there have already been a ton of studies done to confirm the route. It is being built in an existing utility easement where there is already a pipeline in the ground.

Believe whatever you want man. Those people would not put themselves through that if they did not feel there was a legitimate reason to do so. Those people originally "owned" that land regardless. Then it was taken away under fire then conceded under the Treaty of Fort Laramie then again taken away when there as thought to be gold there. The government has reappropriated much of that land back to the Sioux and then repossessed it when the farms that were given to them as a basis for the exchange were foreclosed on. This type of **** has gone on and on and on. So talk **** all you want about these peoples motives or their actions but I don't blame them one bit. At some point we have to look past the narrow view of our own sovereignty and see things for what they are.

Believe whatever you want man. Those people would not put themselves through that if they did not feel there was a legitimate reason to do so. Those people originally "owned" that land regardless. Then it was taken away under fire then conceded under the Treaty of Fort Laramie then again taken away when there as thought to be gold there. The government has reappropriated much of that land back to the Sioux and then repossessed it when the farms that were given to them as a basis for the exchange were foreclosed on. This type of **** has gone on and on and on. So talk **** all you want about these peoples motives or their actions but I don't blame them one bit. At some point we have to look past the narrow view of our own sovereignty and see things for what they are.

Funny I didn't read any of that in the article.
Perhaps if you read what they are actually protesting about you could have avoided all that hullabaloo.

Its about the threat of water pollution.

The Standing Rock Sioux argue that the pipeline cuts within a mile of their reservation and could pollute water and disrupt cultural sites. The tribe has challenged the project in court, and protesters have camped out near the Missouri River site for months.

Perhaps if you read what they are actually protesting about you could have avoided all that hullabaloo.

The Standing Rock Sioux argue that the pipeline cuts within a mile of their reservation and could pollute water and disrupt cultural sites. The tribe has challenged the project in court, and protesters have camped out near the Missouri River site for months.

Yep.

They have adopted the "what about pollution?" argument after a Federal judge took evidence and ruled that the land is not an Indian burial site, or protected, or any such thing.

So they have moved on to Argument B, which is a groundless "what if" claim.

I am obviously aware of that. I am also aware that those people have been getting ****** over for years besides what's involved in this pipeline so I can get why they are reluctant to just let it slide and turn their backs. And then there's the fact that as a people they fundamentally believe in not disturbing the land in this way and creating the potential for pollution. I know. I know. It's "safe". And these people are trying to just get something out of this.

You do realize that there is money sitting in the treasury right now that was awarded to the Sioux for land that was illegially taken from them and that the federal govt tried to just pay them off and not give them their land back. The Sioux have to date not taken the money and are fighting it. So I guess they're trying to get over there too.

I am obviously aware of that. I am also aware that those people have been getting ****** over for years besides what's involved in this pipeline ...

Okay. And you know what relevance that has to the effort to stop the pipeline?

Yep, none. Zero. Nada. Bupkus. Zippo. Zero. Nicht.

I can make this really easy. What are the ramifications of a bunch of "regular folks" going en-masse onto a reservation to protest say, a buffalo jump site or something like that? Would the tribal council be ok with that or would they take offense to a bunch of people coming onto the reservation to protest?

I expect the latter. If in fact natives are coming OFF the reservation to protest a pipeline that doesn't go ON their reservation - well...? Um... I'm thinking they're kinda out of line. Now if they can produce ACTUAL evidence that the pipeline could realistically pollute their water supply, there could be means for a legal injunction. But that's not done through protestors. That's done through the court system.

Except that nobody is going to die from getting hosed off, even in 20 degree weather. Jeez, if a person dies of exposure under those circumstances, then the dude was too stupid to get indoors and change clothes.
I guess I don't know how far away they are from a convenient place to change clothes. Are they within convenient walking distance of their homes? Is it reasonable to assume that everyone there could walk home and change before hypothermia could set in? What if somebody was elderly and was sprayed down?

Another question, would it be legal for the protestors to use water cannons to spray the police? Could the police simply change their clothes? If water cannons are an acceptable non-violent tool for crowd dispersal, then the protestors who are sprayed, ought to be able to use the same tools to return in kind, yes? Particularly if the protestors are non-violent.

Now, in clarification if the protestors are NOT non-violent, that changes things. However the police would still be responsible to care for anyone who was left wet and cold in those conditions as it puts people at extreme risk. That's just the way it is.

I can be objective.

Okay. And you know what relevance that has to the effort to stop the pipeline?

Yep, none. Zero. Nada. Bupkus. Zippo. Zero. Nicht.

Well lets see. If someone had been ******* you over personally for years on deal after deal on something that was yours to ******* begin with and you eventually lost trust with them (obviously) and they came back and tried to go over your head again with something that was vaguely legal in their estimation but potentially dangerous and unethical in yours then yeah you might have a problem with that. Or maybe I'm speculating and you like getting ****** over.

Cough cough gaza strip, Jerusalem, entire Middle East shitstorm...