• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Position Analysis - Center

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
Because I'm bored and frustrated.

Mason Cole was the 15th highest paid starting Center in the NFL in 2023 with a cap hit of $6.2 million. The highest paid center was Ryan Kelly of the Colts with a cap hit of $14.6 million. Relatively speaking, center is not a highly compensated position in the modern NFL. However, I would argue it is far more important to the operation of an effective O-Line than perhaps its position on the pay scale.

Can anyone present an argument that Mason Cole was the 15th best center in the NFL this season? I can't imagine that argument being made. So the Steelers have significantly overpaid the position relative the level of play on the field. I would argue the last game the Steelers fielded a competent NFL center was the last game of Pouncey's career. For 3 consecutive seasons, the center position has been abyssmal in the center of an offensive line that has been sub-par at best, and at times horrendous.

As to the backup at center, I'm not sure I can even say who that is currently.

The position needs to be addressed in the off-season as a priority, IMO.

The list of upcoming UFA under 30 isn't much:
Connor Williams, Miami
Andre James, Las Vegas
Aaron Brewer, Tennessee
Scott Quessenberry, Houston
Of those listed, only Connor Williams made more ($7M) in 2023 than Mason Cole. Each were significantly better on the field. Will any of them actually reach free agency?

Do the Steelers draft a center and turn it over to another rookie from the start? Risky, but they've proven to be willing.

Might there be another option available? (Just hear me out). James Daniels played center at Iowa and was good enough to parlay that into being a 2nd round draft choice. He's only 26 years old. With an entire off-season, could he make the switch? I don't know. I have no idea if he can handle the mental side of the position. This league moved him to guard and I have to assume for a reason. But it is much easier to find a starting Guard capable of sufficient play than it is to find a starting Center.

Whatever happens, I just don't see how the Steelers can roll out Mason Cole for another season as the starter, and you can't pay a backup center $6M to watch from the sidelines.

It's going to be a long off-season.

Last edited:
As I read your post I realized how bad our center play was. We as fans just got accustomed to seeing it like that. We really need an upgrade.

Mason Cole is overpaid hot garbage and one of the weakest links on the entire starting lineup

It was a bad signing then and has been a weak link since said bad signing

I’d have to assume Khan/Weidl realize what a weak link he is and hopefully they address it this draft as they finally showed last year that the LOS should be a priority and hopefully they keep strengthening the position

Too keep him as an entrenched starter without competent competition would be gross negligence

Not only is he subpar at blocking his snapping ability outright sucks (barely HS level)

I say get the best Center in draft, like someone in the first three rounds.

I hear ya man..
But after Powers… not too much and I’m not sold on Powers as a value added option at 20…
My first thought was draft a center too. But after giving it some thought and the strong possibility that there's no one that might be capable of hitting the ground running on opening day, I think FA is the best route to take this season.

There's a lot of other positions we need to fill with our high draft picks.

I hear ya man..
But after Powers… not too much and I’m not sold on Powers as a value added option at 20…
I disagree, I'm not sure Powers is even number one C in this draft. I need to do more evaluation but I think it's pretty close between Powers-Johnson, Zack Frazier, and Sedrick Van Pran

I hear ya man..
I’d take Van Pran in the 2nd if he’s available

May have to trade up a few spots but it would solidify the line by removing the weakest link

My first thought was draft a center too. But after giving it some thought and the strong possibility that there's no one that might be capable of hitting the ground running on opening day, I think FA is the best route to take this season.

There's a lot of other positions we need to fill with our high draft picks.
The FA center options aren’t very inspiring, you got a guy you like in FA?

Probably 2-3 draftees better than the free agent options imo

I like Powers he has a nice mix of everything. Wouldn't be shocked if he tests out the best of the bunch. I like Van Pran too. Give me either of the two and I am happy...

Can anyone present an argument that Mason Cole was the 15th best center in the NFL this season?

Might there be another option available? (Just hear me out). James Daniels played center at Iowa and was good enough to parlay that into being a 2nd round draft choice. He's only 26 years old. With an entire off-season, could he make the switch? I don't know. I have no idea if he can handle the mental side of the position. This league moved him to guard and I have to assume for a reason. But it is much easier to find a starting Guard capable of sufficient play than it is to find a starting Center.
No one can argue that and I think the best teams typically have players outperforming their contracts. I will say, Cole overplayed his career average last year. Unfortunately, he completely made up for it with his play this season.

Daniels is interesting. I know during the season there were some who wanted Daniels at center and Herbig at guard. Jeff Hartings made the switch, right? I think it's easier to find quality guards, especially when you have a stud at center. I'm just stunned how little they value the position given the long history of greatness.

No one can argue that and I think the best teams typically have players outperforming their contracts. I will say, Cole overplayed his career average last year. Unfortunately, he completely made up for it with his play this season.

Daniels is interesting. I know during the season there were some who wanted Daniels at center and Herbig at guard. Jeff Hartings made the switch, right? I think it's easier to find quality guards, especially when you have a stud at center. I'm just stunned how little they value the position given the long history of greatness.
I want them to get out of the,"oh we can make do"mind set. It looked like last year Omar tilted away from that. They need to keep righting the ship...

The sad thing is the year before he started we had Green as our starter in his rookie season. Mason played so much better than that, he looked amazing!!! even though he still sucked

The FA center options aren’t very inspiring, you got a guy you like in FA?

Probably 2-3 draftees better than the free agent options imo
Not really sure. Just thought someone with pro experience would be a better option to hit the ground running than a so-so draft pick.

I hate looking back, as it accomplishes nothing, but it’s so hard when discussing this topic… for how little the Steelers emphasize the TE in their passing attack, and not being very strong in the blocking phase, the Freiermuth selection, over Creed Humphrey is still a tough pill to swallow!

Humphrey could have anchored the line for a decade, whereas Muth is hardly any more than just a guy, if that and his production/blocking appears easier to replace than center.

Oh well?

Cole was decent his first year but has regressed, it’s time for him to get on with his life’s work, is he on his last test of the contract? What would the cap hit be to cut him?

I don’t know the players but my dream draft is DL round 1 (we need a stud to anchor an aging group here and stuff the run in a run centric division), then CB Center in rounds 2-3, or address Center in free agency, the cost of a good corner in FA is probably too high

Tomlin and Okorafor need to get in a room and work things out then Jones is locked in at one tackle and Okorafor competes with the human turnstile for the other Tackle, I’d love to address Tackle again but the draft capital is probably too high

Definitely some snap issues. But Harris best runs were to either side of him. He can't be considered terrible.

I don't know Cole was pretty terrible. Maybe Harris would have had more runs and been more consistent with someone else. You need to be able to snap the ball properly as a center......
Well his runs through the A gaps to either side of Cole were a hell of a lot better than the B gaps and the Cs were horrible.

And whatever anyone thinks of Cole he is 6.27 to play and 1.5 to cut. At those numbers he plays out his last year and they either spend a low pick on replacement this draft or high next year.

I say get the best Center in draft, like someone in the first three rounds.

A-N-D

No ****-ing projects, either they are a bonafide CENTER or don’t sign them.

Salute the nation

And whatever anyone thinks of Cole he is 6.27 to play and 1.5 to cut. At those numbers he plays out his last year and they either spend a low pick on replacement this draft or high next year.
Cole seldom moved anyone and was consistently getting beat on the pass rush. He's an awful snapper. I don't think there's any reason to believe anything will change next season with him.

If we're keeping him for the sake of 1.5 million cap space I'll be disappointed.