• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Preparation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
From the food costs too much thread. and another thread from a few years ago.

I am not a doomsdayer. but I am 1 that wants to be prepared for what ever comes. anyone else like me?

I have about 2 years' worth of water stored. I have about 2 years' worth of food stored.

I have seeds stored for next year just in case. Tomatoes Potatoes corn peppers squash etc

I make my own compost. dont need to buy soil.

I dehydrate/can/freeze/cold store

I buy a cow/pig every year and freeze.

I have gas stored with a stabilizer that should last several years.

I have 15 propane tanks stored that I rotate out.
I have 5 food things that are good for 25 years just add water 1 year a piece.

I have a Generator set up that will run the important things in my house.

What else?

I'm diabetic and you can only get so much insulin and it doesn't keep forever. **** hits the fan and I can't get insulin I'll be dead in about a year, so **** it, I don't worry about prepping long term.

Reactions: wig
No

I am not a doomsdayer. but I am 1 that wants to be prepared for what ever comes. anyone else like me?

I have about 2 years' worth of water stored. I have about 2 years' worth of food stored.

I have seeds stored for next year just in case. Tomatoes Potatoes corn peppers squash etc

What else?
Now I know who I have to kill first.

We fell behind with our move. I'm good short term, and so-so for the mid term. Lots of seeds and water treatment. Restarting the soil, garden, and perimeter around it all. Reestablishing networks.

I have some rebuilding to do, but we're in a much better place.

Agreed. I have lots of guns. If it comes down to it I’ll just kill my neighbors and take their ****.

While this is all in jest (I hope)...

This is how it would go down. A select few will prep and be loaded with riches (food, water, shelter, safety). The vast majority will be mobs of roaming looters. Armed looters, perpetually hunting for food.

Preppers will last a few months at best and all fall to those armed mobs.

While this is all in jest (I hope)...

This is how it would go down. A select few will prep and be loaded with riches (food, water, shelter, safety). The vast majority will be mobs of roaming looters. Armed looters, perpetually hunting for food.

Preppers will last a few months at best and all fall to those armed mobs.
I've been watching Walking Dead since it started. I know how this plays out.

_114088607_4134eab6-8c47-491b-9969-589fd046adb4.jpg

I'm diabetic and you can only get so much insulin and it doesn't keep forever. **** hits the fan and I can't get insulin I'll be dead in about a year, so **** it, I don't worry about prepping long term.

You won't last a year without insulin, Ron. Take it from someone who knows - you can stockpile insulin. My Rx provides more than what I actually use for the time allotted because I tell the doctor I use "x" amount of NPH and "y" amount of Humulin when I actually use 20% less. I have about a year's supply stockpiled and no, it does not "go bad." In fact, you can freeze insulin and it still works just fine - I tested that out about five years ago.

Oh, and along the lines of this thread - wife and I are looking at buying property in North Georgia, up the hills a bit, surrounded by trees. We are going to get about 10 acres, propane, well, septic, with backup solar generator (no noise). Build a small residence, 2 BR, 2 B, maybe 1200 sq. feet, barn for horses.

We have a lot of dry and canned food, and a ton of dry pasta. You want some calories to keep you going? Boil some water and throw in pasta. Also have a tractor for planting, will have a water supply. Easiest foods to grow - almost impossible to @#$% up - are corn, tomatoes, and potatoes. Pest are the biggest problems. Insects are a freaking blight on crops.

We also can rely on neighbor for firearms. Dude has 2 rifles with scopes (.556 and .308), 6 handguns (.45, 3 9mm, and .380 for Mrs., I mean his Mrs.) and A LOT of ammunition. I of course don't have firearms since as I have mentioned several times, guns scare me.

Fit hits the shan, we load the boys onto the horse trailer, pack our ... neighbor's ammo and ammo-holders, hit the back roads, at the bug-out place in 90 minutes.

Oh, and along the lines of this thread - wife and I are looking at buying property in North Georgia, up the hills a bit, surrounded by trees. We are going to get about 10 acres, propane, well, septic, with backup solar generator (no noise). Build a small residence, 2 BR, 2 B, maybe 1200 sq. feet, barn for horses.

We have a lot of dry and canned food, and a ton of dry pasta. You want some calories to keep you going? Boil some water and throw in pasta. Also have a tractor for planting, will have a water supply. Easiest foods to grow - almost impossible to @#$% up - are corn, tomatoes, and potatoes. Pest are the biggest problems. Insects are a freaking blight on crops.

We also can rely on neighbor for firearms. Dude has 2 rifles with scopes (.556 and .308), 6 handguns (.45, 3 9mm, and .380 for Mrs., I mean his Mrs.) and A LOT of ammunition. I of course don't have firearms since as I have mentioned several times, guns scare me.

Fit hits the shan, we load the boys onto the horse trailer, pack our ... neighbor's ammo and ammo-holders, hit the back roads, at the bug-out place in 90 minutes.
Part of being successful in a SHFT situation of regional or national importance, is having a group you play a part in, and trust in the others for their part. Still, I would recommend that to some degree you get over the gun thing. Maybe a .22 would be good? Even archery would be good.

You might want to look into dry canning those dry goods. Good info on youtube, etc.

Part of being successful in a SHFT situation of regional or national importance, is having a group you play a part in, and trust in the others for their part. Still, I would recommend that to some degree you get over the gun thing.

Siiiigh ... I'll try, Dj. But everybody who has spent even a minute in my company knows I am T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D of guns.

Hear that, ATF??

Part of being successful in a SHFT situation of regional or national importance, is having a group you play a part in, and trust in the others for their part. Still, I would recommend that to some degree you get over the gun thing. Maybe a .22 would be good? Even archery would be good.

You might want to look into dry canning those dry goods. Good info on youtube, etc.
I have a few weapons. I will be fine, but to your point, my friend that lives near me have an arsenal. As in 30+ rifles 20 some pistols. He makes his own ammo which he has a **** ton of. **** hits the fan, he comes here with weapons and I have the food covered. all good.

I have a few weapons. I will be fine, but to your point, my friend that lives near me have an arsenal. As in 30+ rifles 20 some pistols. He makes his own ammo which he has a **** ton of. **** hits the fan, he comes here with weapons and I have the food covered. all good.
I live in the deep south, our teenage grandkids have more guns than that. lol.

What else?
get you some life straws and save some water bottles to use with them. you can fill the water bottles with the nastiest water you can find hook it to the life straw and drink some of the purist water you ever had.Jerry cans are also an option. I also keep a large supply of swiss miss, coffee and ramen noodles. for protein you cant beat red beans and rice, vacuum seal and it will last years.

last but not least, HARD LIQUOR. lots and lots of hard liquor. some for trading and some for when its time to sit back and watch the show.

Unless he shoots you

I live in the deep south, our teenage grandkids have more guns than that. lol.

get you some life straws and save some water bottles to use with them. you can fill the water bottles with the nastiest water you can find hook it to the life straw and drink some of the purist water you ever had.Jerry cans are also an option. I also keep a large supply of swiss miss, coffee and ramen noodles. for protein you cant beat red beans and rice, vacuum seal and it will last years.

last but not least, HARD LIQUOR. lots and lots of hard liquor. some for trading and some for when its time to sit back and watch the show.
Good call on the straw.
I have 300 pints of assorted beans canned.
About 100 lbs dried and stored.
Don't drink much anymore but I do have some stored. If anything actually does happen(which I do not expect) I will probs start drinking again

You won't last a year without insulin, Ron. Take it from someone who knows - you can stockpile insulin. My Rx provides more than what I actually use for the time allotted because I tell the doctor I use "x" amount of NPH and "y" amount of Humulin when I actually use 20% less. I have about a year's supply stockpiled and no, it does not "go bad." In fact, you can freeze insulin and it still works just fine - I tested that out about five years ago.
Not sure I can agree with you on this one Jimmy, you may have just been lucky. Insulins will crystalize when frozen and break down the basic protein of the drug. Once thawed the composition of the insulin changes, and while it may not harm you, I don't believe it will do much good. This is particularly true with basal insulins, or long-acting ones like Lantus or Levemir. But I suppose if we're facing Armageddon, what the hell.