• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Preseason game 1 observations and thoughts.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So game one is off the books and how you often knee jerk react off one showing there is some things notable:

*Benton could be should be a one week starter provided he is healthy. Maybe the only rookie that should be thrown into the fire early. He had adequate depth behind him, but the other two NTs won't give you that pass rush push.

* One for the hype train. Kenny looked like he is confident, accurate, stronger, and ready to lead this team into the playoffs. Number 7 brought us number 6, it is only fitting number 8 brings us number 7. That's arithmetic.

* At ILBer Kwon looks like he will be hard to keep off the field. Fast and coverage capable in a league that loves to pass the ball around? They might not name him starter but I could see those field reps dwarf at least one of the projected starters.

* For those who think Washington potentially forces Gentry off the roster. Look no further than the depth behind the Steelers first 4 receivers. In a room that usually keeps 5 or 6. I think his roster spot is pretty safe as the roster stands now.

* Speaking of WRs Gin and Juice they look like a solid pairing for years to come. For those silly rabbits 🐰 that think DJ might get traded next year. Just shelf that thought and let it collect dust. There is no other WR on the roster that is a starting long term capable outside WR.

* Kendrick looked Green out there at C. They shouldn't be entertaining him at FB at this point. They should spend that energy finding a replacement at C.

* So some might feel Mitch played like a third stringer. Well Rudy is nothing more than a third stringer so let's not entertain replacing one with the other. That is what Rudy will be remembered for when it is all said and done outside of that helmet incident.

* It is odd that the punters weren't rotated during the game.

*All the rookies who played overall showed well. It will be nice to see Peezy Jr. come the Buffalo outing.

* I think the inside corner job is still open and will come down to the wire.

All I have for now. Feel free to agree or disagree!

Last edited:
Agree with just about all that Slash

But…When it’s all said and done Rudy will end with more Ws than Mitch as a Steeler…and while Rudy may be a 3rd stringer, not arguing that a bit (a great 3rd) Mitch definitely looks like a 3rd stringer too…and that’s a lotta coin for a guy looking like a 3rd

But it’s real early and maybe he looks like hot garbage cuz he’s been getting no reps cuz the right guy is getting them this year

A ton of reason for optimism from the young guys, including Kenny

It was as an expected result though, we were playing one of the worst teams in the league and our starters were playing their 2s

I think CA's speed really showed up. He should definitely be able to open up some things.
The team said Pickett is bigger and has a stronger arm so hopefully that continues to translate to the field.
Greene should be gone. I'm worried he will stick around for being "versatile", but if you stink at all the positions you play then being versatile doesn't mean anything

On his first catch, DJ did his east-west thing instead of just picking up the first down. They picked it up on the next play but damn is that annoying!

Perfectly described. Wouldn't add much. I think Peezy jr. might not start but plays tons. I think Herbig might be a good TJ breather player. If he can add 15 lbs of good muscle he might be very good. Any comparison between qbs over that sample is laughable. If there are any Benton ankle updates please post.

So several things….. Take a look at the snap count and usage and you really get a feel for what they probably were trying to look at …

First off all the non rookie virtual roster lock’s barely played… that is smart, both from an injury perspective and from a “getting tape on guys” perspective…

Secondly some of the knee jerks might be more wrong than people think.. for instance Kendrick Green had possibly the three worse plays in succession that I’ve ever seen in a preseason game… and in my head absolutely confirmed that he isn’t mentally fit enough, because he definitely got in his own head and that led to the really bad snap…
But he also played the 9th highest amount of offensive snaps that game (playing 27 out of 63 total offensive snaps and 5 more on special teams)..and a lot of them were good plays, so he may not be as out as we think when it comes to that last OL spot
Now fortunately, Spenser Anderson got a long look at a lot of positions and was mostly positive… so he probably jumps into the lead for ol9. Assuming of course they don’t keep Dotson over him… the other olinemen played a ton in the second half too.. but they love that position flexibility and Anderson plays every position.

There were some curious uses too… Killibrew, a known special teams ace, was used exclusively on defense… so they are almost certainly trying to judge how he can play safety vs how others can handle special teams coverage.
The common yinzer media perspective is that we are shallow in the secondary, but i get the feeling that the coaches don’t feel like that… especially at S… there is a ton of depth there…

Another factor is the WR group… Gunner had the third highest offensive snaps and didn’t see a single snap on special teams, where he is most valuable… they were clearly giving him and Cody white every chance to solidify roster spots… white had 29 offensive snaps , just two behind gunner, and another 9 special teams snaps…
Id call those two the most vanilla wrs on the roster, but its clear they are both being given the inside track to the last roster spot ( assuming boykin is also going to make it for special teams coverage purposes. The other wrs outside of the top 4 seemed to be in for running plays and low priority routes..

Here is a very positive sign.. for as disruptive as he was, Nick Herbig only played 13 defensive snaps.. and added 3 more on ST…

Probably because it was a billion degrees out, the DL was really evenly rotated outside of Benton and leal, (though leal plays positions more like edge sometimes).. I was hoping for insight to how the DL was leaning but there wasn’t much to go on… Manny jones got a ton of snaps, but I think mostly in filler time…

The top 3 defensive snap guys were Pierre at CB, Perales at edge, and Robinson at Ilb.
Pierre didn’t have a great game, but he is definitely the top reserve Cb. Robinson is being given every chance to prove himself… Perales looks like he was being given a priority rookie look… but his stat line looks like a rookie udfa probably should… i still think Roche is ahead of him but neither makes the 53 barring injury… I would bet they offer him a PS position though… they seem to really like him …

"Number 7 brought us number 6, it is only fitting number 8 brings us number 7. That's arithmetic."

I'm digging the new maths.

Pressley Harvin needs to punt both of the last two games in my opinion he has a lot to prove. And Bos needs to kick. No chance he is replaced but he needs to get steadier than last year.
Nah, Kickers don’t really need gameday play like other players… i mean you have to initially judge how they handle pressure, but we already know that Boz can cut it and harvin is shaky… let tge new guys take their spots if they can…

Actually after the last game I would say Boz is 100% safe. …

He us 110 percent safe. His dead cap hit would be bigger than anyone available they can employ. I just want to see he is money inside 50. He was not last season and it started in pre season.

I hope Noah Strackbein from SI actually reads this site so he can know my opinion of his insights are that he should keep them off of the internet… Yeah Pierre did not have a good game but he almost certainly is making the roster… one preseason game doesn’t change that lol… he just loves trying to pish the Steelers trading for some brand name player 🤦🏻‍♂️

I hope Green never plays center for the Steelers again. In no way is he even 3rd string center material.

I absolutely hate those damn sideline passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. They've used them so much over the last 4-5 years that they're absolutely worthless.

Perfectly described. Wouldn't add much. I think Peezy jr. might not start but plays tons. I think Herbig might be a good TJ breather player. If he can add 15 lbs of good muscle he might be very good. Any comparison between qbs over that sample is laughable. If there are any Benton ankle updates please post.
I hear day to day. On O Herbig went down with a shoulder, hopefully that isn't serious as he was getting reps at G and C.

We don't always hear from the unheralded guys. Spencer Anderson was the only "huh" type pick in the draft and I don't mean that in a bad way, just every round the Steelers took guys many of us wanted them to take. He's learning multiple positions and played them pretty well on Friday night. Here's a short interview with him.

I hear day to day. On O Herbig went down with a shoulder, hopefully that isn't serious as he was getting reps at G and C.
No updates on his injury. Herbig was brought in as a backup, but has enough talent to start for an extended period of time if needed. Hope we get good news on his shoulder.

We don't always hear from the unheralded guys. Spencer Anderson was the only "huh" type pick in the draft and I don't mean that in a bad way, just every round the Steelers took guys many of us wanted them to take. He's learning multiple positions and played them pretty well on Friday night. Here's a short interview with him.

I went and looked at his plays...he was solid. No pressures allowed. He has a great base and good hand fighting. He looked comfortable at all 3 positions he played. Impressive.

If you have some time, here is analysis of Broderick Jones first game.

I saw him at Latrobe today he is a big boy. Reminded me of Big Dan. Not that big but that is the name I thought of when I saw him, as his frame stood out. Saw that O-line up close. Green was the only guy that looked winded. I am not sure if that was heat related... it was hot, or he was trying hard and just exhausted, or if he is simply not up to the challenges.

Last edited:
If you have some time, here is analysis of Broderick Jones first game.

Did you see the up close play where Kendrick got lifted off his feet? If you get him out in space running he seems blocking capable perhaps that is why they thought to try him at FB. But beyond that he can't be trusted to hold his base without being pushed back.