• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

President Trump unveils plan to privatize US air traffic control system

Spike

Reaction score
President Trump announced his plan Monday to privatize America's air traffic control system and separate it from the FAA -- arguing the federal agency is too “antiquated” to innovate and casting the overhaul as an initial step toward improving the country’s infrastructure.

Trump wants to turn the air traffic control system into a modernized non-profit organization that operates on fees paid by airlines and others that use U.S. airspace, instead of taxes.

“We are prepared to enter a great new era in American aviation,” Trump said, in announcing the plan at the White House. “It’s time to join the future and make flights quicker, safer, more reliable.”

Trump argues the changes are necessary because the existing system has been unable to keep pace with the fast-changing aviation industry that now includes commercial space flights and unmanned aircraft systems, also known as drones.

The changes also would save fuel, improve safety and lower operations costs, according to the administration.

In his privatization push, Trump has the support of major aviation groups including the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association and the Southwest Airlines Pilot Association.

“We support privatization,” said Jon Weeks, a pilot and president of the Southwest pilots association, who attended the Oval Office announcement on Monday.

“We just want a stabilized stream of funding for air traffic control,” said Weaks, echoing what airlines and the controllers union have said for years.

He also said major airlines already have the next generation technology that Trump says the FAA has yet to bring into service. And he agrees with the president in that fees will be more efficient than the patchwork of taxes that now support the aviation system.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-privatize-us-air-traffic-control-system.html

---------------------------------

Dems: " I can't see anything wrong with that, but because it's Trump. I'LL OPPOSE IT!!!!

As someone who flies planes, I'm for this. It's fiscally responsible, cuts taxpayer costs, and it's setup as a non-profit, which means it won't be hazardous to pilots/passengers.

Kudos!

So how long before the Dems queue up Pelosi, Schumer and the rest of the outrage brigade to call this job/baby killing anti-American?

So this a Union Buster move?

Are they talking about going to more of a GPS system instead of ground radar?

How soon until the sky falls based on this Trump decision?

I'm trying to keep tabs on the actual end of days so I can **** my wife a few extra times that week. It's so confusion from the left. Just give me a date for Christ's sake.

I am not for privatizing our air traffic control system at this point. Massive distraction. Get back to riding congress to get the healthcare, taxes, and border wall solutions going. Would like a lot more focus on the legislation we expected.

Also, the idea of making it a non-profit private enterprise is retarded. Innovation from private enterprises comes from competition and the profit motive.

Infrastructure was in the plan. It's not a distraction - change it all, change everything. Rome wasn’t built in a day, he's got 7 more years.

Infrastructure was in the plan. It's not a distraction - change it all, change everything. Rome wasn’t built in a day, he's got 7 more years.
Privatizing air traffic control is just moving jobs around. The hard work is getting a budget for roads and bridges. If he continues operating on what actually does seem like a 7 year timeline for significant legislation, he won't have 7 more years.

Hillary's not in power and we got our Supreme - everything else is gravy - relax, be happy

Air traffic controlling is a mentally taxing job. Much smarter to automate and hopefully reduce user error.

What was the deal when Reagan fired all of them? I know it had something to do with a strike, but I don't know if they were private before that and he changed them to gubmint, or what happened.

What was the deal when Reagan fired all of them? I know it had something to do with a strike, but I don't know if they were private before that and he changed them to gubmint, or what happened.

They went on strike but they were not allowed to strike.

On September 11 2001 the FAA and the Air Traffic Controllers on duty around the eastern seaboard demonstrated such a ridiculous level of incompetence that a massive overhaul is literally 16 years overdue. The ONLY thing that kept the FAA and the ATC from being sued into the stone age for their sheer and criminal incompetence was that they were protected as a federal agency.

We have SO much to be thankful for that the Russian military never thought of simply turning off their transponders. We would have been ******. Just ******.

(See, I should just never post in the political section.)

Last edited:
That's great..... thousands and thousands of lives left in the hands of the lowest bidder... what could possibly go wrong? Look, I get it that the system we have in place currently is just as susceptible to accidents and other ****-ups as would be a group of ATC's hired by a private contractor. MY comment was just a wise crack .... but in all seriousness, I do feel that there are certain services that would function a lot better if they weren't driven by the profit motive. I know this idea will go over like a lead ballon on this board, and 99 times out of 100 I would agree with all of you that capitalism is what drives innovation and is the biggest reason by far we have advanced as far as we have as a society.... the whole " build a better mousetrap" thing.

As another regular flier. Anything that streamlines the process and hopefully makes it safer (tsa is a joke) I'm all for