• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Projecting Kenny Pickett’s Success Based on Draft History Since 2000

Something to consider for what its worth when it comes to Marino vs Kenny Pickett. Marino did play four full seasons starting as a freshmen and having his best statistical year as a junior. His senior year was somewhat of a disappointment at Pitt and although the silly drug rumor certainly did damage, can't help but think the senior year didn't help his stock.
Pickett, although a five year player at Pitt, started four years. His freshman year consisted of the one start against number two (2) rated Miami that he beat, so essentially the kid was a four year starter for those comparing Pickett's and Marino's stats for their careers at Pitt. And Kenny's best year was his last year.

Do I think Pickett will surpass Marino in the NFL, I have no earthly idea and frankly don't think he needs that to be a successful NFL QB. Hell, I had no idea Marino would go on to play and have the fantastic career he had at Miami. Nor did five other teams who chose QB's ahead of him that year. I d think the comparisons between the two are somewhat similar in size, football intelligence, leadership, accuracy, not a rocket arm but certainly strong enough to make every throw,. It was Marino who said, its not how hard you throw it but where you throw it. I'll take that all day long.
Arm Strength is crucial and most fans miss the where & why.

Mike Tomczak was very accurate, but his passing lacked anything remotely close to high velocity (by NFL standards). Why this matters? Defensive backs have time to react and make a play, from breaking up the pass to an interception.

Ben had the combination incredible velocity & accuracy to get balls into windows 99% of Quarterbacks could never make. Same with Marino.

Throwing a country mile is overrated. But for reasons above, accuracy is necessary but not enough to be great.