• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Questions for the Cast! 9/9

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Week 1 is upon us, we have a depth chart, we have another number being retired, and we have some movement to talk about. I'll be going live on the Vidcast at 7pm tonight. www.youtube.com/SteelerNation if you want to join and participate LIVE.

The Podcast will be aired on Friday 9/9, so any questions you want answered for the show, ask them here and I'll get to em! I got to the previous 2 weeks of questions on the last podcast, so thanks for the great content Steeler Nation!

Sorry for my lateness Cope and also thanks for doing these, always a good listen.........

1) Deven BUSH has been a hot topic around here. He appears to be getting the starting role justified or not. Do you see anyone on the roster who can surplant him and how far into the season do think that will take. I say by week 4 Bush either has it or doesn't. Most likely Spillane as Robinson is to raw but don't count him out.

2) I think Mason Rudolph makes a cool $3mil season and hard to pass that up unless traded. If he were to ask to be outright "cut" he loses his pay but gains a free-lance chance to sign on making him very attractive to more teams. Do I have this right and what are the odds of that happening ?

3) With Franco Harris' number being retired as the # 3 one to do so, do you see him as the third best player ever (I know it coisides with the imaculate reception 50th) . Terry Bradshaw has a pretty good case for number retirement as well, Jack Lambert and others too. I' glad I don't have to sort in best to less best and they are using anniversaries to help determine number retirement, least ways Franco's. thoughts...............

4) Deonte Johnson looks and feels like the real deal. Do you see him getting to or near Ofensive MVP for the team voting ? I see (obviously) TJ WATT on the defense but who is going to be that stand out offense MVP this year as the QB is in play as well. (Roethlisberger removed himself from the voting).

Stryker, thanks for doing these and I listen to them will making supper. A-W-E-S-O-M-E job to you and all those invovled.

Salute the nation

Who is to blame for our OL? Tomlin? FO? Both? You?

cope

that is the cause of the name change

I thought it was the more and more time he was spending at the "dispensery" he decided he needed an aias.......................

GOOD question on the OL though as the blame shifting may continue.

Salute the nation

Does Cam s. get extended before the season? will the Ravens sign Lamar to a HUGE long term contract? thanks

Would be keenly interested in Stryker’s sources if they knew if Bradshaw was reached out first by Art2 about the immaculate reception/jersey retirement and he declined. Brad still has this weird relationship with the franchise/city.

My question may well be too obvious, but do they currently have the bodies to make the o-line gel into at least an average line? It's going to be a long season if they can't maintain drives and put the D on the field for most of the game.

Will Bush show the splash in his contract year like he showed in his rookie year?

In your opinion, why have the last 16 qbs that lost in their super bowl debut never made it back?
Garoppolo, Goff, Ryan, Cam, Kaepernick, Grossman, Hasselbeck, McNabb, Delhomme, Gannon, Collins, McNair, Chandler, Bledsoe (not as a starter, was the backup), O'Donnell, Humphries.

to your point. seems like one of them should have over the years. that O'Donnell guy could have if he hadn't chased the money. Gannon was super talented

Loved it, and called it Coolie. Josh Allen is pissed this season. He's going to be great to watch!

All questions were answered:

Thanks for the reply Stryker ............ great job as usual ............... Go Steelers...

Only 2 days until the start of a new era ...........******* !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garoppolo, Goff, Ryan, Cam, Kaepernick, Grossman, Hasselbeck, McNabb, Delhomme, Gannon, Collins, McNair, Chandler, Bledsoe (not as a starter, was the backup), O'Donnell, Humphries.

to your point. seems like one of them should have over the years. that O'Donnell guy could have if he hadn't chased the money. Gannon was super talented

@madinsomniac great question. 2 points here. 1) it is extremely difficult to make it to a Superbowl. Many factors are involved, injuries, turnovers, bad luck, bad matchups. McNabb is a good one to point at. His teams were excellent. They made 5 NFC Championship games but only made it to the SB once. That team was good enough to win SBs. Excellent D, great running back, receivers and QB. Andy Reid was their freakin coach for gosh sakes.

Some of these teams get to the game when they shouldn't have by a huge upset in the championship game: Humphries, Delhomme, Kap beat the better team in the conference championship. Much like NE vs the 85 bears beating Miami. Upsets happen but create a tougher matchup the next round for them.

Lastly we have the era of the Franchise QB. If your name is Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, now throw Maholmes in there and it's tough as **** to beat those teams to make it to a SB, let alone win one.

My question may well be too obvious, but do they currently have the bodies to make the o-line gel into at least an average line? It's going to be a long season if they can't maintain drives and put the D on the field for most of the game.

Will Bush show the splash in his contract year like he showed in his rookie year?
Yes, they are learning a scheme. If they look like **** week 4, the scheme is ****. Hopefully they gel sooner than later.

Bush better, its his last chance to get paid. If he doesn't put up great numbers this season, he will forever be an NFL journeyman making a low salary.

Would be keenly interested in Stryker’s sources if they knew if Bradshaw was reached out first by Art2 about the immaculate reception/jersey retirement and he declined. Brad still has this weird relationship with the franchise/city.
Haven't heard about this, and I don't think it would be true. There is no statue of Bradshaw at the airport throwing the immaculate prayer shot while being clocked. It's Franco's play because he made it. Bradshaw hit Tatum and Fuqua, not Franco. He's a part of the play, but Franco turned the fortunes of the franchise my metaphorically stealing a victory from the claws of defeat, and did it for the entire 40yrs of that franchise giving it it's first playoff win in the most improbable fashion.

Who is to blame for our OL? Tomlin? FO? Both? You?
You can blame me. I need to motivate them better.

Meyer needs to prove that he can teach this system or the line is screwed this year. His system is independent hand technique with aggressive first contact. Watch the games, if we're not making first contact, we're not doing what the coach wants. Unlike Serrett's foot positioning to put you between the QB and defender to eat up space, this is a more technical approach to blocking.