• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ratings Fumble for NFL Surprises Networks, Advertisers

Well lets see here... They took hitting and defense out of the game... Penalize creativity... Have totally random suspensions for stupid reasons... Act like greedy buffoons, go ultra pc in every department... And wonder why the casual viewer wont tune in to games anymore..

Mnf kicked Hank off the airways and moved to cable... It was all downhill from there

I heard this and wondered what the breakdown by demographic would look like. Are older fans tuning out?

I don't really watch the NFL outside of the Steelers, major playoff games and primetime match-up between very good teams. And it's rare I watch start to finish aside from Steelers games.

Much of the modern day NFL is boring to what I call the NFL Films Generation - people who grew up with the 1960s - 1980s NFL.

I'm not a huge fan of any college team, but I prefer to watch college football.

Well lets see here... They took hitting and defense out of the game... Penalize creativity... Have totally random suspensions for stupid reasons... Act like greedy buffoons, go ultra pc in every department... And wonder why the casual viewer wont tune in to games anymore..

Mnf kicked Hank off the airways and moved to cable... It was all downhill from there

I was completely frustrated by all of the above and more. The straw that broke the camels back though was when they went all "America Sucks" on us.

I'm down to only watching the Steelers game each week. No other teams/games.

Ill watch a game if its on, but outside of the steelers i wont make any sort of effort to watch any other game...

I watch the Steelers and the Red Zone all day. I would like to boycott it in theory, but it is impossible in practice.

One reason for the decline in viewership as far as I am concerned is the refusal by millenials to pay for anything. I think they steal the NFL broadcasts, and that reduces ratings.

One reason for the decline in viewership as far as I am concerned is the refusal by millenials to pay for anything. I think they steal the NFL broadcasts, and that reduces ratings.

Good for them if that's true. Truth be known, the whole NFL reeks of nepotism, old money and overpaid help. The other sports, acting and politics aside, it still baffles me that an athlete can make that kind of money playing a game. For any of them to do anything to bring unwanted attention to themselves is galling, but to alienate the very people you depend on to supply that grandiose life style borders on stupidity.

I'd really like "real defense" and hard hitting to come back in some form. This protest nonsense at the games does absolutely nothing to endear me to watching more. It's actually pretty damn insulting to many millions of Americans of ALL colors.

Maybe this will get Goodell sacked?

Yup. I sure miss NFL football. Can't stand PC hippies or haters.

Love me some NHL, but wish some of the Pens had boycotted the POTUS today ala Deebo.

The whole nation kind of makes me barf anymore.

The NFL is corporate and sterile and the players are idiots for the most part and would be working menial jobs in the real world.. College game is better and too much NFL saturation has made watching the games boring and not much fun including even the Steelers games.

A big thing is that the players are becoming more unlikable. Most of the guys that I have liked are gone. These new guys have yet to engage me.

Perhaps the viewerships would be up if the matchups weren't white hot garbage?

Perhaps the viewerships would be up if the matchups weren't white hot garbage?

This is true.

It seems like the league is attempting to get every team into a primetime game this year. And let's face it there are a lot of crappy teams that don't deserve the spotlight. The Monday night Game used to be a premier match up. Now it's just filler. At least they are trying to keep the Sunday night games interesting.

The biggest one is MNF, but I'm thinking Trump vs. Clinton took a big chunk of that and Trump vs. Clinton II will take a chunk out of Sunday night.

Football and politics shouldn't mix. This is what ruining football for me of late. Always love the Steelers but man leave politics to the leaders. If players want to make a difference, donate time/money to the communities

Monday night has to start doing what Thursday night does. Make them divisional games.

Monday night has to start doing what Thursday night does. Make them divisional games.

I hope not...The fact that MNF is on ESPN is hurting my attendance for sure. Since declining to renew the NFL package, I no longer get ESPN either, so if there's no replay ..I'm out !

I watch the Steelers and the Red Zone all day. I would like to boycott it in theory, but it is impossible in practice.

That was me a couple of years ago. Everyone has their limit. I've been a rabid Steelers fan for 45 plus years. Things have changed and not for the better in the last 20 years or so. I still love my team and will watch them when I can. I'll be a Steelers fan forever.

I had recently gone through a 3 or 4 year span when I hit my limit with Goodell and the league. I became a much more casual fan and my interest dropped off greatly. I find that this year I have gained some of my enthusiasm back for the game. It has been a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: MTC