• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Redrafting the Last 13 Years of the Steelers’ Elite First Round Picks

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers longtime General Manager, Kevin Colbert has officially stepped down as the head of the front office following the 2022 NFL Draft. He hopes to make his mark on Steelers history once again after drafting University of Pittsburgh quarterback, Kenny Pickett. Colbert has been one of the game’s best at evaluating talent and Steelers fans everywhere would be wrong to analyze his recent picks negatively.

With that said, the most important selection is often the one in the first round. I wanted to take a look at Colbert’s first round draft picks since 2009 and redraft each selection when necessary. Looking back, not all first rounders turned into stars for the Steelers. We will leave Pickett out of this as we don’t have any kind of sample from him just yet.

Sidenote: I am going to keep this within reason. For example, it makes no sense to take a guy in round one who was selected in the fourth/fifth round of any given year. Artie Burns was taken in the first round back in 2016. Tyreek Hill was selected in the fifth round. If Colbert didn’t take Burns, he wasn’t going to take a guy like Hill in round one who was projected by NFL.com to be an undrafted free agent.

2009 Selection: Evander “Ziggy” Hood, DT​

New Selection: Patrick Chung, CB​

Analysis: Steelers fans can agree that Ziggy Hood was a reliable defensive tackle who didn’t miss a game in his five years with the Steelers. He provided depth for a run defense that allowed just 62.8 yards per game in 2010 and went on to play for a Super Bowl. However, Chung had three interceptions for the New England Patriots in 2010 and the Steelers really could have used a stronger corner alongside Ike Taylor to try and combat Aaron Rodgers‘ aerial assault in Super Bowl XLV. Chung played 9/10 years in New England and won three Super Bowls.

2010 Selection: Maurkice Pouncey, C​

New Selection: Maurkice Pouncey, C​

Sure, Rob Gronkowski was picked in the mid-second round in 2010, but Pouncey was a staple with Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh for 10 years. He made it to a Pro Bowl every year other than 2013 when he missed the whole season due to injury. This is a no brainer. I’m keeping Pouncey in the black and gold.

2011 Selection: Cameron Heyward, DL​

New Selection: Cameron Heyward, DL​

This five-time Pro Bowler isn’t going anywhere either. Heyward gets better each year and as he heads into year 12, he has yet to show any signs of slowing down. He is incredibly active in the community and Pittsburgh loves him. He had a career high 10 sacks in 2021 and we can expect him to continue to compete at an elite level. He played 15 or more games in all but one season and remains one of the most under-appreciated players in the NFL.

2013 Selection: David DeCastro, G​

New Selection: David DeCastro, G​

Although DeCastro’s career seemed shortened by injury, he still helped the Steelers to a dominant offense in the later half of his career. He managed to make six Pro Bowls and receive two First Team All-Pro selections. These are the guys you don’t regret drafting, even if his career ended a bit premature and abruptly.

Steelers Retired Offensive Lineman, David DeCastro

Wesley Hitt / Getty Images

2013 Selection: Jarvin Jones, LB, 17th Overall​

New Selection: DeAndre Hopkins, WR​

Can you imagine what the Steelers receiving core would have looked like with Hopkins and Antonio Brown? The 2013 season was Emmanuel Sanders‘ last in Pittsburgh. Jones never panned out to what the Steelers had hoped and is certainly one of the most disappointing first round selections in Colbert’s tenure. Hopkins would have been a significant upgrade over guys like Markus Wheaton, Eli Rogers, Jerricho Cotchery and Cobi Hamilton. The Steelers would have drafted Le’Veon Bell a few years later in the second round and had an absolutely unstoppable offense if the financials worked out.

2014 Selection: Ryan Shazier, ILB, 15th Overall​

New Selection: C.J. Mosley, ILB​

Man, this one was tough and won’t be popular. I loved watching Shazier play, but knowing what we know now, the Steelers would have had to go in a different direction. Before his tragic career-ending injury, Shazier missed at least three games or more in his first three seasons. While he was an incredible talent, I shifted the pick here to Mosley who was fourth in the NFL last season with 168 tackles. He continues to play at an elite level and aside from a 2020 season-ending injury, has been very healthy throughout his career. Not to mention, the Steelers would have stolen him from the Baltimore Ravens who picked him at 17 in 2014.

2015 Selection: Bud Dupree, ILB, 22nd Overall​

New Selection: Bud Dupree, ILB​

I contemplated drafting now free agent, Landon Collins, but stuck with Dupree instead. Dupree started off slow in his career, but significantly improved and was a pivotal part to the defense back in 2019 when he had 11.5 sacks and four forced fumbles. He is one of the main reasons the team almost slipped into the playoffs even without Roethlisberger. Dupree also helped the Steelers to receive a fourth round compensatory pick in this year’s draft.

2016 Selection: Artie Burns, CB, 25th Overall​

New Selection: Xavien Howard, CB​

This is the easiest new pick of the whole redraft. They needed a cornerback. Wanted a quarterback. The Steelers just selected the wrong one and it wasn’t even close. Burns is often thought as one of the biggest Steelers’ busts ever. Howard, however, is one of the game’s best cornerbacks when healthy. His six-year career has seen three Pro Bowl selections and an incredible 27 interceptions. I’m okay with the health risk here. Howard is a stud and was taken very early in the second round in 2016.

Steelers Newly Redrafted Cornerback Xavien Howard

Justin K. Aller / Getty Images

2017 Selection: T.J Watt, LB, 30th Overall​

New Selection: Do I Even Have to Write It​

Defensive Player of the Year. Verified stud. Franchise cornerstone. Enough said.

2018 Selection: Terrell Edmunds, S, 28th Overall​

New Selection: Lamar Jackson, QB​

Will this be popular? Who knows. Edmunds has improved each year and will even come back to Pittsburgh for another year. But, Colbert took Mason Rudolph in the third round while guys like Mark Andrews were still on the board. This was another heck of a draft for the Ravens. Jackson is an MVP and would have the same amount of talent he has now even if he sat behind Roethlisberger for a year. Who knows, with all due respect, maybe Roethlisberger’s injury in 2019 leads to Jackson starting and remaining at the helm for years to come.

2019 Selection: Devin Bush Jr., LB, 10th Overall​

New Selection: No Trade, Select Darnell Savage Jr.​

There was no one near #10 that was selected after Bush who would warrant a trade up. If the team could do this over, not trading up would be step one. Step two would be taking Savage Jr. with #20. While his numbers aren’t mesmerizing, he has been a durable, key part to the Green Pay Packers defense the last three seasons. He has eight career interceptions and has only missed three games. This would help after not taking the previous year and Savage would be played alongside Minkah Fitzpatrick. This would have been, by no means, a reach as Savage was selected at #21.

2020 Selection: N/A – Traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick​

2021 Selection: Najee Harris, WR, 22nd Overall​

New Selection: Najee Harris, WR, 22nd Overall​

This is an easy one. Harris had a great rookie campaign and should get even better with a better offensive line and more play-action mixed into the offense. He should be a Steeler for a long time as long as the running back market doesn’t spiral out of control.

Overall, Colbert has had significant success in the first round since 2009. While some draftees were busts, the majority turned out to be pretty good, even pretty great football players.

How would you approach a redraft of the last 13 seasons in the first round? Leave us a comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

So taking the Minkah-for-a-first as, "Yeah, I'd do that again," that means 7 out of 12 remain the same. Pretty good, particularly where I think I go with Shazier. I would make it 8 out of 12. Not many teams can match that.

Don't get the take Mosley over Shazier take. He was emerging as something extra special and any player is one play away from the final play of their career.

Heck, it is entirely feasible that if not for that injury, the Steelers win the Super Bowl that year.

Don't get the take Mosley over Shazier take. He was emerging as something extra special and any player is one play away from the final play of their career.

Heck, it is entirely feasible that if not for that injury, the Steelers win the Super Bowl that year.
Yeah I wouldn't change Shazier he was special. A freak injury doesn't change that.

I also wouldn't take Jackson over Edmunds. I don't care for that type of QB. I want always a QB that scrambles to pass not run.

You have to be able to throw accurately into tight windows and or on the run. Those are my quarterbacks. (Insert TO gif)

I would also say Jarvis set the club back in the manner he handcuffed the D with mediocre pass rushing. With how a Watt always helps a defense a Jarvis has the opposite effect. Just bad for business.

Yeah I wouldn't change Shazier he was special. A freak injury doesn't change that.

I also wouldn't take Jackson over Edmunds. I don't care for that type of QB. I want always a QB that scrambles to pass not run.

You have to be able to throw accurately into tight windows and or on the run. Those are my quarterbacks. (Insert TO gif)

I would also say Jarvis set the club back in the manner he handcuffed the D with mediocre pass rushing. With how a Watt always helps a defense a Jarvis has the opposite effect. Just bad for business.
Jarvis Jones almost rises to the Huey Richardson level of god-awful wretchedness.

Cam doesn’t seem like it was that long ago. Artie feels like it was a lot longer ago.

Najee is a WR?😉

No Lamar, PERIOD.

I also think that the Author is using hindsight on the Shazier injury/pick.

Salute the nation

Jarvis Jones almost rises to the Huey Richardson level of god-awful wretchedness.
Richardson was a bigger stiff… JJ was just a guy propped up because he had production in a big conference… which doesn’t really always translate

Huey Richardson was was such a missed draft pick, he’s in his own category of bust.

No one, not Daryl Sims, Tim Worley, John Reinstra or Tom Ricketts was as bad

Who the **** wants lamar Jackson? He is a guy that the ravens are currently having trouble dealing with because his demands are off the charts and his production drops every year… RBs dont make good QBs…
Lamar is a gimmick qb. I do hope the rats are dumb enough to dump a truckload of money on him.

Jamain Stephens fell out while ready this thread.

Reactions: FSF
Jamain Stephens fell out while ready this thread.
Dear God, he was so bad of a pick I forgot he existed.

Sometimes I wonder if Tom Donahoe’s drafting of him was the opening salvo in the Cowher vs. Donahoe power struggle

I personally like Edmunds but If in a redraft, I would Go Chubb. And that would mean instead of Harris I would go Creed H

You could do one of these for the second round as well we had some real stinkers

For as great as Hopkins has been, I think they would have been better off overall drafting Xavier Rhodes in 2013.

He has been one of the better CBs in the league over the past decade and the secondary was the most glaring weakness on the Steelers during the "Killer B" era.

Imagine Rhodes and Howard at corner on those 2016 and 2017 teams.

For as great as Hopkins has been, I think they would have been better off overall drafting Xavier Rhodes in 2013.

He has been one of the better CBs in the league over the past decade and the secondary was the most glaring weakness on the Steelers during the "Killer B" era.

Imagine Rhodes and Howard at corner on those 2016 and 2017 teams.
It's very frustrating, everyone here knew it, even coach. Burns was a big reach.

It's very frustrating, everyone here knew it, even coach. Burns was a big reach.
Well cooch calls for a reach every draft soon or a later that blind squirrel 🐿️..

I say I knew about Burns, And Hood, and J Jones. I warned you all about Bush and Edmunds, two players not offered the 5th year contract. Now Watt on the other hand was my called pick and I endorsed him. A quick review for those who make calls in advance. ( not Slashsteel )

I say I kew about Burns, And Hood, and J Jones. I warned you all about Bush and Edmunds, two players not offered the 5th year contract. Now Watt on the other hand was my pick and I endorsed him. A quick review for those who make calls in advance.
Oh shut the f**k up. You were terribly wrong way more than you were ever right. Crawl back under that predraft rock you were under.

SFFU and check the archives. I know what I said and post a who the Steelers should have drafted. Like the Bush trade up, I was against. I wanted Sweat, DK Mertcalf, and the guy who starts in Cincy at ILB. Oh and we keep the 3rd round pick we traded. Go play with yourself, loser and ignore me please. We both know you can't

I say I knew about Burns, And Hood, and J Jones. I warned you all about Bush and Edmunds, two players not offered the 5th year contract. Now Watt on the other hand was my called pick and I endorsed him. A quick review for those who make calls in advance. ( not Slashsteel )
To be fair, I don't think anyone wanted Burns or Hood and most on this board were against Jones because he wasn't athletic. No one wanted Edmunds either. I think most were excited about Bush, however, I remember Michigan fans expressing some concern. I was never too keen on him because of his lack of size. An interesting note about Jones is that pick single handily changed how the Steelers drafted. They began to draft excellent athletes immediately after making that pick.