• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Remember being told "you don't understand economics" (Ron Burgundy alert)

Whiny ******** are getting their ***** replaced by automated burger flippers and self-order kiosks.

Once again, when hourly wages go up for everyone, costs of everything else go up. Not to mention when you increase the price of burgers, you sell less. It's really not as simple as "raise your prices by the exact amount you raise wages by" and it will work out fine. It doesn't work like that. If it did we might as well just raise the minimum wage to $50.00/hour and raise all prices accordingly.

Well, it will reward people who are willing to work the least desirable of jobs and much, if not all, of what they earn they will put right back into the economy.

Now, using a burger joint as a model, show how a $7 increase in minimum wage would result in an even larger increase per burger.

well, considering that the meat must be bought and cannot be pulled out of thin ******* air, there's a cost associated. that cost is brought on by a distribution company, which also must increase their employee's pay. You'd be a moron to think that the owner of the company will pay that cost difference out of his own pocket. That cost difference, as Ron Burgundy pointed out, will include various taxes associated with increasing a worker's pay. Which, as was said before, is passed on to the client, in this case "Flog's Bullshit Burgers".

So will the owner of Flog's Bullshit Burgers (that's you, by the way), absorb the cost of increase in worker pay resulting in less money for Flog to take home? Keep in mind that Flog pays taxes, too. And that Flog, too, has a family of little Flogs to feed. And that while Flog's employees can easily skip over to another job, Flog is on the hook for financing "Flog's Bullshit Burgers" which may include a loan from a banking institution to get the company started as well as paying for leasing his location in hopefully a location that is centrally located to a lot of consumer traffic. So, Flog has a set price point where he will absolutely begin to lose money based on numerous factors. It doesn't matter to Flog if his employees are making a **** ton of money as long as Flog, a small business owner, has not reached that tipping point and stays far, far away from it.

can you agree on these basic assumptions, or is that too far into the realm of reality for you to understand?

Well, it will reward people who are willing to work the least desirable of jobs and much, if not all, of what they earn they will put right back into the economy.

Now, using a burger joint as a model, show how a $7 increase in minimum wage would result in an even larger increase per burger.

I don't know how much it will go up, but i can guarantee it is significantly more than your "analysis "

Within days, if not hours, of a $15 min wage, every union will approach employers and demand an increase. Their people have been makin $10 mor than the min wage, now it is only $3. That is unacceptable.

You only have to ask yourself why unions support a $15 min wage to k it ow this is true. Unions are like ebery other organization. They are out dor themselves and their members. They are not altruistic to all the min wage earners.

Any employers gonna put up with the bullshit tjey have tondeal with on teenagers that call in "sick", don't show up, ****** attitudes while paying $15/hour?

The reality is that only 2.3% of workers earn minimum wage or less, only 1% of full time workers do. The labor market sets wages for the most part. This idea Dems are pushing that half the country is trying to support a family by toiling away 40 hours per week for minimum wage is ludicrous. It's an entry level wage for a few of the most unskilled, inexperienced workers. In addition, being able to minimally pay those who just aren't very profitable productive employees yet means there is more money available to pay more experienced, skilled workers a higher wage.

Why one earth should that be outlawed?

Now flog is an expert in the restaurant industry. I would welcome tibs' take as at least he accomplished things in this area.

I'm sure Tibs pays every busboy enough to comfortably support a family of 5.

well, considering that the meat must be bought and cannot be pulled out of thin ******* air, there's a cost associated. that cost is brought on by a distribution company, which also must increase their employee's pay. You'd be a moron to think that the owner of the company will pay that cost difference out of his own pocket. That cost difference, as Ron Burgundy pointed out, will include various taxes associated with increasing a worker's pay. Which, as was said before, is passed on to the client, in this case "Flog's Bullshit Burgers".

So will the owner of Flog's Bullshit Burgers (that's you, by the way), absorb the cost of increase in worker pay resulting in less money for Flog to take home? Keep in mind that Flog pays taxes, too. And that Flog, too, has a family of little Flogs to feed. And that while Flog's employees can easily skip over to another job, Flog is on the hook for financing "Flog's Bullshit Burgers" which may include a loan from a banking institution to get the company started as well as paying for leasing his location in hopefully a location that is centrally located to a lot of consumer traffic. So, Flog has a set price point where he will absolutely begin to lose money based on numerous factors. It doesn't matter to Flog if his employees are making a **** ton of money as long as Flog, a small business owner, has not reached that tipping point and stays far, far away from it.

can you agree on these basic assumptions, or is that too far into the realm of reality for you to understand?

Oh, they’re basic alright. Because demand is always perfectly inelastic, right?

Business is booming as I have a new class of people who can now afford an occasional $15 burger.

The reality is that only 2.3% of workers earn minimum wage or less, only 1% of full time workers do. The labor market sets wages for the most part.

What percent make less than $15/hr?

Oh, they’re basic alright. Because demand is always perfectly inelastic, right?

Business is booming as I have a new class of people who can now afford an occasional $15 burger.

business MAY be booming... but do tell how you're going to weather the sudden hike of paying your employees maybe double what they're making now, afford to keep your business operating and bring in customers.

Frankly, I make more than $15/hr now and I'm absolutely not going to pay $15 for a ******* burger. To think that suddenly people will be willing to pay $15 for a burger is a pie in the sky dream. You know that based on how you're now trying to squirm out of this.

What percent make less than $15/hr?

I don't know, and it doesn't really matter. At any given time you're going to have percentages of people at all different levels of income. But the point is who is within each level changes. Because people generally start off at lower wages and earn more as they grow in education and experience. Most people who consistently work full time don't stay at one income level for their entire life. If you raise the bottom all you do is shift everyone to higher wages which doesn't increase buying power much because it causes rising prices and job losses.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/10/income-mobility-is-more-important-than.html

giphy.gif

Ron Burgundy can take his rektonomiks degree and **** off. Flog has spoken!

Well, that and running my own business for 21 years and writing real checks for real money every month and every quarter to the government.

Well, that and running my own business for 21 years and writing real checks for real money every month and every quarter to the government.

but, did you ever operate a Flog's Bullshit Burgers, where inventory and supplies are free and you're able to make the market meet your needs? No? then your opinion is worthless here.

I don't know, and it doesn't really matter.

Sure it does. An increase of the minimum wage to $15 (or whatever) would impact everyone making less than that, not just the ones currently making minimum wage.

There's a McDonalds nearby where the only way to order is through the kiosk.

Yeah but can it **** up my order as well as an actual person?

Sure it does. An increase of the minimum wage to $15 (or whatever) would impact everyone making less than that, not just the ones currently making minimum wage.

Yes, a lot of them will have their hours cut and lose their jobs.

Frankly, I make more than $15/hr now and I'm absolutely not going to pay $15 for a ******* burger. To think that suddenly people will be willing to pay $15 for a burger is a pie in the sky dream. You know that based on how you're now trying to squirm out of this.

Someone posted an article about $13 burgers... oh, that was you. Tens of millions of people buy $4 cups of coffee every day, a $15 burger is a bargain by comparison. Pittsburgh has a ton of gourmet burger joints, I don’t recall what they charge but I think it’s close to $13.

Tens of millions of people buy $4 cups of coffee every day, a $15 burger is a bargain by comparison.

Yet you can't shell out like $7 a month to contribute to a place you frequent considerably more than a burger joint. I have that right, right?

Someone posted an article about $13 burgers... oh, that was you. Tens of millions of people buy $4 cups of coffee every day, a $15 burger is a bargain by comparison. Pittsburgh has a ton of gourmet burger joints, I don’t recall what they charge but I think it’s close to $13.

How many burgers will McDs sell when their prices are closer to those gourmet burger places? You gonna pay the same price for a big mac as the blackand blue 1/2lb burger you get cooked to order and the toppings you like?

Those gourmet burger places that were paying $12 an hour to attract better workers than McDonald's now have to pay $15. Their burger prices increase or does the owner take that increase in the ***. Take a guess.

No, think of it this way: If a restaurant owner has ten employees he now has to pay an additional $7/hr. ($70 total) and he sells 40 burgers an hour, he has to increase the price $1.75/burger to cover that cost.

Ron just explained, using specific rates, WHY YOUR STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE. The employer also has to pay (in California) about 45% of the additional wages as government-mandated "benefits" (now my least favorite word in the English language).

So, no, the employer does NOT have to charge an additional price to cover the $10 an hour or more total cost to the employer.

Oh, and news alert, genius. The employees get paid to stand at the counter and pick their butts. That clock NEVER stops ticking, that money NEVER stops going out of the till.

However, the restaurant DOES NOT, AS IN DOES NOT, sell burgers at a constant stream, from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. So the amount of money coming in varies significantly, at times reaching zero or close to it. So the restaurant needs to cover the labor and associated costs with the burger sales, at times when the restaurant's burger sales are effectively ZERO.

Meaning, burger prices don't go up to cover the cost on an even basis. The burger cost must go up by more than enough to cover "$10 an hour for each employee" to account for the times where sales are much lower.

Irony, Line 1. Irony, Line 1

California's largest recycling center, which had more than 450 locations just five years ago, are closing up shop. Why? California's higher minimum wage has driven them out of business.

Consumer Watchdog, a nonprofit that studies issues in California's recycling industry, estimated that more than 40% of all redemption centers have closed in the last five years. The closures result in consumers only getting back about half of their nickel and dime bottle and can deposits, according to a recent report from the nonprofit. Advocates are urging the state to reform how it subsidizes recycling centers to account for rising operating costs ...

hhttps://www.sfgate.com/news/article/replanet-closures-bay-area-locations-sf-14283863.php

Tens of millions DO buy coffee at $4/cup every day. Congratulations on finally dipping a toe into reality. Oh, but that coffee? Yeah, that price will also increase.
A Big Flog Mac Bullshit Burger, right now, costs $3.99. So you're advocating for a cup of ******* coffee to be $15.
https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/

Do you even math?

And you’re not figuring in what those employees do with their extra $56/day in earnings.
One can only assume they'll be spending it on $20 hamburgers.

Generally speaking, if you want to do it easy... You can just take the hourly wage of an employee and essentially double it. That lets you know what your 'real cost' for an employee is. (The above assumes you pay all taxes, unemployment and have some kind of benefits package put together that you help fund.)

So a $15 hourly wage with a company that, let's say offers health and dental, comes closer to $30 for that employee. It's a big deal. A $15 employee had BETTER be a very very good employee. Otherwise you are getting your *** handed to you by wages, taxes and benefits for somebody who isn't coming close to producing value at that rate. (UNLESS) you jack up the prices of your good to cover your margin loss.

What all these progressives aren't coming out and saying is, What they REALLY want is for businesses to pay more to their employees and fund that through lower margins. They ultimately want the businesses to do worse, take the hit and basically eke along in hopes that they can succeed with significantly smaller margins. This only opens the door for more need for government support and assistance, which of course, is their ultimate goal.