• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT: Pro Bowl Guard Trai Turner Visits Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Friday, ESPN‘s Adam Schefter reported that offensive guard, Trai Turner visited the Pittsburgh Steelers today.

Turner, 28, is a five-time Pro Bowler from 2014-2019, who has spent time with both the Carolina Panthers, and most recently the Los Angeles Chargers in 2020.

Five-time Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner wrapped up a visit today with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 18, 2021

We will keep you posted on any news to see if the Steelers end up adding Turner into the mix!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Guy had reportably a real bad year. That is why they cut the cord besides the obvious cash savings.

Know some pretty diehard Chargers fans who said he wasn't very good last season (like at all), but I didn't get any more details on like was he injured etc.

Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs, but I think LT is the more pressing issue.

I haven't given up on MOORE at LT but we need a LT more than a guard unless Decastro and Big Dot have health issues. Of course we need depth any and all so if Turner is cap friendly and can fit still leaving enough room for 1 or 2 FA aqusitions durring or after TC (training camp) or final cuts then sign him to his next SB (superbowl) ring.

Salute the nation

I heard he has had trouble staying healthy the past couple years. If he's healthy and we can get him at a good prove it price of some sort and easy to get rid of him if he's not healthy, I'd give him a go. He's still only 28. Many OL play into their mid-30's. He has another full contract left if he can stay healthy.

I know the pro bowl is bullshit, but I find it very odd that a 5 time pro bowler would suddenly **** the bed at 28 in the very prime of his career at Oline. That is very strange unless he was dealing with injury.

Now I found an article on steelerdepot wondering the same thing. If I had to make a bet. God forbid, I think he has an illness.

That would be a huge cap hit to release DeCastro. This dude would have to be free then cuz we couldn't afford anything.
Looking at Overthecap, DeCastro has a cap hit of $14,297,500 this year when you factor in prorated bonus money and base salary. Of that, the bonus money of $5,547,500 would be the dead money cap hit if he were released (highly doubtful), traded (why?) or retired (which is what they were speculating at the Depot). The cap savings in any of those situations would be $8,750,000.

Personally, I think DeCastro, as the only entrenched starter at his position, the oldest Olineman, and a veteran All-Pro caliber guard, was given the time off to continue recuperating from whatever injury he had last season. The young guys need the mental and physical reps. DeCastro, not so much right now.

https://overthecap.com/player/david-decastro/1592/

Looking at Overthecap, DeCastro has a cap hit of $14,297,500 this year when you factor in prorated bonus money and base salary. Of that, the bonus money of $5,547,500 would be the dead money cap hit if he were released (highly doubtful), traded (why?) or retired (which is what they were speculating at the Depot). The cap savings in any of those situations would be $8,750,000.

Personally, I think DeCastro, as the only entrenched starter at his position, the oldest Olineman, and a veteran All-Pro caliber guard, was given the time off to continue recuperating from whatever injury he had last season. The young guys need the mental and physical reps. DeCastro, not so much right now.

https://overthecap.com/player/david-decastro/1592/
I hope none of those are the case but it certainly makes it more doable if it had to happen. Hopefully, DeCastro can retire on his own terms and as a Steeler. He's earned it.

I'm on board with SteelBuckeye, David isn't going anywhere unless it's a career ending injury that didn't heal properly or something of that nature. Speculation at this point regardless of who is speculating.

The seriousness of bringing in depth is directly responsive of the seriousness of the Decastro ailment.

Salute the nation

for the right price 790-1.2 sign him with a performance and roster bonus, he has no leverage cut coming off a terrible year, FO is not going to care 5-time pro bowler its what can you do now, and I think he would be great insurance at both OG spots. If David is seriously hurt you could set him to sit out pre-season to let whatever injury heal, he couldn't run block last year at all pass protection he was alright but he is known as a road grading pile driver.
If you dont sign Turner your OL without him is Chuks Dotson Green Finney/Coward Banner
with Turner
Chukes Dotson Green Turner Banner
2 OL who have atleast 1 year starting experience (Chukes and Turner) would also give you a massive right side to run zone read and simple ower runs like dive blast off tackle. Add in Pat in the edge next to Banner

Hate not to see big dot not given every chance to start… money better spent in secondary problem with our line last year was coaching.

Didn't realize DeCastro missed all of the OTA's and the mandatory mini-camp and Tomlin gave a cryptic response when asked why he wasn't there. Could be something to this.....or not.

Hate not to see big dot not given every chance to start… money better spent in secondary problem with our line last year was coaching.
Big Dot IS getting every chance to start this year. If they sign Turner, I think it's either because DeCastro has decided to retire, as insurance in case DeCastro's injury is chronic or, most likely as depth. If it's either of the first two a former Pro Bowl caliber guard isn't a luxury.

Just read DeCastro was actually at mini-camp, he just didn't participate. I don't know if that's better or not. Him not being able to even participate means there is some lingering injury or surgery he had that no one is aware of outside the Steelers.

Big Dot IS getting every chance to start this year. If they sign Turner, I think it's either because DeCastro has decided to retire, as insurance in case DeCastro's injury is chronic or, most likely as depth. If it's either of the first two a former Pro Bowl caliber guard isn't a luxury.

I'm sure the coaching / team staff have a better handle on Decastro's longevity / participation. You SIR are absolutely right on if Decastro cant go we need someone and qwick.

Salute the nation

is it a Shoulder issue at vet min Turner adds great stability as a run blocker and you also have Finney who filled in the games David missed due to injury a few seasons ago. so far from pics, it seems FA OG Coward is running 1st team reps.

If there's even a question of DeCastro not being able to play, you have to sign Turner, you can't throw Ben behind a line with zero veteran presence on it.
If Ben was out there doing drills and throwing at OTA's, but DeCastro couldn't that's definitely a red flag for me.

Kicking tires doesn't cost much, bring him in and "put him through the drills" and see what he's got. No harm no foul.

Salute the nation

sign him to vet min with incentives he is a mauler that way if its just more time David needs you can put him on PUP to start camp and maybe reg season. If it is career threatning reach mutual agreement to retire cut and use the savings to trade for Gilmore and then extwnd him and restructure Tuitt and Haden. As well add OLB Houston.

So We sign Turner. Still yet to hear the issue with Decastro. Our O line coach has a big issue on his hands. Not saying it cant be done.. But damn, Every position is a new one for our o line . Cept Dotson unless he moves to right and turner takes LG. Doubtful. But yeah the oline has now become priority one. id hold on to the Decastro savings and be ready to apply it to the LT position,, I hope Moore is a badass.