• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers' Arthur Smith Had A "Great" Meeting With Kenny Pickett; New Team With Steelers In Mix For Justin Fields

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback situation has been the hottest topic of the 2024 offseason, and the conversations about it actually began before the 2023 NFL season ended. Currently, third-year quarterback Kenny Pickett is the only player the Steelers have under contract at the position. They have been connected to Justin Fields and are expected to make an attempt to bring back Mason Rudolph for the 2024 season. Pickett is not expected to be the surefire starter for his third year in the league, and he will have to compete for the starting job with whoever the front office brings in.

READ MORE

It's time to cut bait and draft a franchise QB. I am still in the camp of I don't care if it cost me a couple first round picks, I move up this year and get my guy. Address the line in FA. If KP can't beat out a rookie well then he becomes the backup. even if you have two first round QB's on the roster it still only cost you for rookie contracts, both together are not 1/3 of what a franchise QB is gonna cost.

If you restructure some people you free up enough money to go after a couple quality oline FA you have your franchise QB on a rookie deal for at least four more years. you use the rest of this years picks to address DB and more oline.

We are gonna **** the pooch and not solidify the most important position on the team. for those that are sweating the oline remember that Ben won a SB with a subpar oline. that franchise QB can cover up a lot of short falls. Ben should have won back to back SB's in his first two years; not because of the oline protecting him but because of his insane ability and HOF caliber coaching.

They either bring in Fields or Rudolf (NOT both), but either way they bare going backwards as far as the QB position goes.

If Fields costs a pick or two, look what that could do to move up in the draft and get a quality QB who would more likely than not, out shine all three of the QBs mentioned.

Our 1st, our 2nd, and our 4th or 5th (or both)———— how far would we move3 up on that?

Salute the nation

I also do not see one QB other than the SC kid that you could hang your hat on being better then KP and he seems like a little *****. Any of these guys will be back next year in a different body.

Neither QB is very good right now.

That isn't fair at all. Ben had a Superbowl roster and Kenny has a cereal bowl roster at this point. name one person on this offensive roster that will one day, wear the gold jacket. Ben had Alan Faneca, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Heath Miller who wear, or will wear the gold jacket one day as a second year QB.

If they bring in Fields it proves that Tomlin and Kahn aren't as smart as you want them to be.
Well one of them has 4 out of 17 seasons with at least one playoff win.

I will let you figure out which one.

Attachments

• ground hog.png
    ground hog.png
    766.9 KB · Views: 4
That isn't fair at all. Ben had a Superbowl roster and Kenny has a cereal bowl roster at this point. name one person on this offensive roster that will one day, wear the gold jacket. Ben had Alan Faneca, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Heath Miller who wear, or will wear the gold jacket one day as a second year QB.
People just don't like Pickett and blame him for everything that goes wrong with the offense. I think Canada and the line were more factors than Pickett, but we will see. Pickett just needs to be decent not a HOFer.

People just don't like Pickett and blame him for everything that goes wrong with the offense. I think Canada and the line were more factors than Pickett, but we will see. Pickett just needs to be decent not a HOFer.
Agreed, you just can't compare 2005 to 2023 and point to the QB. complete bullshit.

Do not think the Steelers start these rumors. think it is the reporters that rely on Steelernation to click on random articles that mention anything Steeler related.
Oh, there is no question that some of the "rumors" are started with reporters who want clicks. But this goes way back, longer than "clicks" have been around. They have a PR person hired for a reason: to do PR. Every year there are always "high profile" players mentioned as the Steelers being "interested in." Yea, they are "interested" in them if they somehow agree to take way less $ than their market value is, as if that's realistic.

Farrior and Kevin Greene are the 2 biggest FA players I can think of us signing, Bettis was a trade who we got for peanuts: a 2nd rounder that year and a 4th the next and a 3rd back from the Rams for Bus. Think that was an OK trade? Bettis WAS the Steelers offense for about a decade, from 1996 - 2005. Six seasons over 1,000 yards (1431, 1635, 1185, 1091, 1341, 1072) plus another 2 at 941 and 811. People talk about Najee as if he's in Bettis' league. Please, it's not even CLOSE. Bus had all those seasons with a game less a season. Ds were geared to do only one thing: stop the Bus. They simply couldn't do it.

Last edited:
If they bring in Fields it proves that Tomlin and Kahn aren't as smart as you want them to be.

With or without Fields coming here, at least one of these guys hasn’t met expectations

Salute the nation

One of them has very experienced and has been proving that for years. The other guy just got the lead role in his area, had a solid first year and may be primed for another.

But which one could be which?

And it doesn’t matter, because death, taxes and this one person are inevitable. And didn’t even need an infinity gauntlet to do it.

thing is, Ben ****-canned Canada's playcalling and started calling his own plays.
Kenny couldn't do that

Ben had a damn good defense to rely on, a slew of offensive players, one helluva line and a coach who knew his *** from a hole in the ground.

Can Kenny be THE Man? i don't know.

What i do know is that not even Ben could orchestrate a playoff win with Canada's shitoffense.

I'm impartial to Kenny being the QB going forward. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and not end his career right here, as he's not exactly been in the best situation.

If we were to get Fields, I'd hope Khan manages a way to make it cheap, as it's not like Fields should have a high value since Chicago is already discussing selecting a QB No.1 overall again.

We very well could sign a Center and RT in FA (flipping Jones to his best side) and have a better OL than we did last year. Which, with a new OC, could lead to a better year - despite who the QB is. Even if it's Mason... whom I'm 75% sure isn't our best option going forward.

thing is, Ben ****-canned Canada's playcalling and started calling his own plays.
Kenny couldn't do that

Ben had a damn good defense to rely on, a slew of offensive players, one helluva line and a coach who knew his *** from a hole in the ground.

Can Kenny be THE Man? i don't know.

What i do know is that not even Ben could orchestrate a playoff win with Canada's shitoffense.

I'm impartial to Kenny being the QB going forward. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and not end his career right here, as he's not exactly been in the best situation.

If we were to get Fields, I'd hope Khan manages a way to make it cheap, as it's not like Fields should have a high value since Chicago is already discussing selecting a QB No.1 overall again.

We very well could sign a Center and RT in FA (flipping Jones to his best side) and have a better OL than we did last year. Which, with a new OC, could lead to a better year - despite who the QB is. Even if it's Mason... whom I'm 75% sure isn't our best option going forward.

Getting Jones to the LT position would be HUGE in 2 ways....

1) it's his natural position and the one game he started there, he graded out as one of the highest LTs that week.

2) Removing Dan Moore, one of the lower graded LTs in the league is addition by subtraction.

Salute the nation

No Russell Wilson on Sapp's list?

Just saying...
Wilson wasn't drafted in the first round.

The only thing fewer than Hall of Fame jackets on this roster is the number of TDs Pickett throws in a season. At some point he has to start making plays.

I'm not in that crowd. Huge Pitt and Pickett fan. He just looks a lot closer to the QB in college who had a poor TD:INT ratio than he does his final year at Pitt. I expected growth in year 2 and he regressed. He needs an absolutely massive jump in performance this season.