• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Steelers Restructure LB Joe Schobert’s Contract to Reduce Salary Cap Hit

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
According to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette‘s Gerry Dulac, the Pittsburgh Steelers are restructuring newly acquired linebacker, Joe Schobert‘s contract.

The Steelers have restructured the contract of new ILB Joe Schobert, reducing his salary cap hit in 2021 from $7.3 million to $1.74 million.

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) August 19, 2021

This restructure will reduce Schobert’s salary cap hit this season from about $7.3M down to $1.74M. This move comes days after the team decided to also restructure DL Stephon Tuitt‘s current contract as well.

Are the Steelers gearing up to make another splash signing before the season starts? Either way, this is a major win for the team in terms of freeing up some money in 2021.

Let us know what yinz think of this move in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I thought his hit was much lower than that. Weren't they saying the Jags were paying part of his salary this year? Does this put them now well over $20 million in cap space? I'm no cap guru but an article I read today said we have some cap space that needs to go to our practice squad (although I thought your cap number only includes the top so many highest paid players so the practice squad certainly wouldn't be in our cap number), Watt and maybe we would look to sign someone else. But, I think Watt's number is going to be a good bit higher than the $10 million or so cap hit he was going to have this year. His signing bonus is going to be huge. I see no way it's not and that is probably why his deal isn't done yet. Part of them making this additional space right now is to sign Watt and to make sure (like they do every year) that they have some money heading into the season in case an injury or something happens (as it always does). So.....I would be very shocked if we make a huge splash with any signing other than Watt - maybe a small splash (for depth) from a puddle would make more sense.

Has to be clearing space to get Watt's deal done. I see some tossing out Minkah's name, but they picked up his option so he's already under contract for 2022.

per reports Jags picked up half the 7m. So that should be 3.5 roughly and save approximately 1.75 this year.

Ya, no way will they sign Minkah this year when he is under contract this year and next year. That would make no sense at all.

est cap space is now at $17 mil

Minkah's estimated market value is almost 16 mil. I know we dont need to sign him for another yr or so, but if we do he and Watt will eat alot of space. As for this year wonder if they are just clearing space for Watt or have another trick or 2 up their sleeve. I would still like to see upgrades at CB, and Oline. Teams are going to scheme around Watt and he cant do it all. I think our current secondary will be exposed especially with the QBs we are playing this year. We have Allen, Carr, Burrow, Rodgers, Denver QB?, Wilson, Mayfield, Justin Fields?, Goff, Jackson, Cousins, Tannehill, Mahomes, and Herbert. Thats a pretty tough list of QBs with no real scrubs except whoever Denver decides to throw in there. There are some young guys in there who we do well against typically, but Herbert tore it up last season and Burrow was looking pretty good till injury. I just dont think this version of the D can shut teams down given the quality of opponents. The O is going to have to be much better.

ALL moves for the TJ WATT deal with a little space left over.

Fitzparic won't be till next year.

How much longer can the STEELERS hold this team together............... Until BEN wins the next two SBs

Salute the nation

I would still like to see upgrades at CB, and Oline.
I'm not sure where you will find upgrades at this time of year. There's a chance a quality player will get cut, it's just those are two premium positions. There are barely enough starting-caliber tackles in the league right now, who will give one up? The Jags put their CB on the market, maybe that's an option? Then you lose another draft pick and the Steelers don't have many next year as it is.

I'm not sure where you will find upgrades at this time of year. There's a chance a quality player will get cut, it's just those are two premium positions. There are barely enough starting-caliber tackles in the league right now, who will give one up? The Jags put their CB on the market, maybe that's an option? Then you lose another draft pick and the Steelers don't have many next year as it is.
I agree, but Schobert kinda fell to us. Maybe get a couple cap casulties if we have anything left over. I am just not sure how anyone can be comfortable with our secondary especially given the teams we will be playing. We are playing 3 of the top QBs in Wilson, Rogers, and Mahomes. Every other QB except maybe the bears and broncos QBs I would consider at least above average. We struggled against some pretty terrible QBs in the past. The offense just needs to be able to stay on the field.