• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report – Steelers Will Only Select Kenny Pickett; Will Go Offensive Tackle If He’s Gone

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been connected to Kenny Pickett from the beginning of the draft process. He is the quarterback that Mike Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert have been able to see up close and personal for many months now. Pickett of course went to Pitt, and Pitt shares a practice facility with the Steelers. And they play all of their home games at Heinz Field. It doesn’t require much effort from Tomlin, and Colbert to go see Pickett.

There isn’t a coach in the NFL that has had a better up close and personal look at one of the quarterbacks coming out. And that’s why the Steelers are apparently only sold on Pickett out of this quarterback class. Which is surprising considering the amount of time they’ve put into this class. Traveling from place to place for all of the Pro Days, and having most of the prospects come to Pittsburgh for a top 30 visit. Maybe all of the love for Malik Willis was actually a smoke screen, because they loved Pickett all along?

ESPN insiders Matt Miller, and Jordan Reid released a story this morning on ESPN plus with a bunch of news and notes for the NFL Draft. And in that Miller says that the only quarterback that could go in the first round for sure is Pickett. And that’s only because the Steelers want him.

Where will the quarterbacks really land in Round 1?

Miller:
The biggest mystery in this draft isn’t where former five-star prospects Kyle Hamilton, Kayvon Thibodeaux or Derek Stingley Jr. will land. No, it’s where will the quarterbacks really come off the board? For months we’ve speculated that some team will reach for one of them inside the top 10 due to desperation at the position. The Panthers didn’t acquire Deshaun Watson after trying hard, leading many to speculate that they would draft a quarterback at No. 6 overall.

I’m not so sure. As the draft nears, the momentum that swung Kenny Pickett (Pitt) and Malik Willis (Liberty) up the board seems to be swinging back the other way. In conversations with league sources this week, one told me that Pickett to the Steelers at No. 20 is the only Round 1 quarterback on which he would bet.

That’s not good news for Willis, who could realistically slide to the 20s and tempt a team such as the Lions to come back up and get him (they have the Nos 32 and 34 picks). Or, perhaps it’s one last smoke-screen attempt. But the buzz surrounding Pickett, Willis, Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati) and the other passers has quieted down to a point that just one first-round quarterback wouldn’t surprise me.

Miller: It might just be a late draft-season smoke screen, but there is a lot of chatter about the Steelers not being sold on quarterbacks other than Pitt’s Kenny Pickett in this class. The Steelers famously attended several pro days and had the top quarterbacks on their radar this offseason, but the rumors dominating the text lines this week have Pittsburgh potentially going offensive tackle in Round 1 if the quarterbacks aren’t available.

So the chatter on the cell phones amongst NFL insiders is that the Steelers will select Pickett, or go with an offensive tackle. Offensive tackle has seemed to slide down the list of things that Steelers’ fans are hoping for recently. The signing of Chukwuma Okorafor paired with the progress of Dan Moore Jr last season seemed to make the thought of a first round tackle unnecessary. Especially when they have other larger holes at receiver, and safety.

Steelers Top Potential Options for Tackle​

Evan Neal (Jr., Alabama, 6-foot-7, 337 pounds)
Ikem Ekwonu (Jr., N.C. State, 6-4, 310)
Charles Cross (So., Mississippi St., 6-4, 307)
Trevor Penning (Sr., Northern Iowa, 6-7, 325)
Bernhard Raimann (Sr., Central Michigan, 6-6, 303)
Daniel Faalele (Sr., Minnesota, 6-8, 384)

The Steelers have been connected to a few of the top prospects at tackle in some mock drafts. Mostly Trevor Penning, and Charles Cross when it comes to first round selections. In the second round the Steelers could consider Daniel Faalele who is a mammoth of a man at 6-8 384 pounds.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Draft can’t come soon enough…the idiot talking head crew has definitely said nearly every possibility by now so someone is bound to get something right but this is just stupid. If the Steelers really felt this way would they tell any of the talking heads so?

Of course not, this is the season where every damn talking head has some bad to spew looking for clicks. Nearly every scenario has been explored and now as every year all the talking heads circle back to the same points they started on.

Damn, the lead up to the draft becomes almost unbearable with bad tales by the time it finally gets here.

Report: the Steelers are going to draft a Sasquatch. That really has as much validity as these "reports" if anyone in the Steelers inner circle who actually has an idea of that leaked he is gone today. The title should be NFL analyst speculates....

Everyone knows Pickett will be long gone by #20, so this report is moot(what else is new). Until they are "On the Clock", they probably don't know what they are going to do. I'm sure they have an idea if certain players are there, but to talk about Pickett going to the Steelers, you may as well try to catch a fart in the wind while we are at it if they are standing pat at their spot.

Everyone knows Pickett will be long gone by #20, so this report is moot(what else is new). Until they are "On the Clock", they probably don't know what they are going to do. I'm sure they have an idea if certain players are there, but to talk about Pickett going to the Steelers, you may as well try to catch a fart in the wind while we are at it if they are standing pat at their spot.
I agree. They have the players ordered 1 to whatever. Then they calculate their needs and there is probably a list of say 7-10 guys ordered 1-10. Whenever it gets to their pick who ever is left at the top is the guy. If they are gonna trade up the scenario is already in place. If the dominoes fall right they get on the phone and the deal is completed. If they are gonna get a q in round one I think it will be trade up. ( which makes me nervous). Or they trade up in 2 and get like Ridder.

I agree. They have the players ordered 1 to whatever. Then they calculate their needs and there is probably a list of say 7-10 guys ordered 1-10. Whenever it gets to their pick who ever is left at the top is the guy. If they are gonna trade up the scenario is already in place. If the dominoes fall right they get on the phone and the deal is completed. If they are gonna get a q in round one I think it will be trade up. ( which makes me nervous). Or they trade up in 2 and get like Ridder.

which I would be OK with. Take a stud DL, OL or DB in the first and then get your QB in round 2, if he's there.

none of these brain dead twats have any damn clue what the Steelers plans are

I agree with Coolie and put myself in same boat (other than I like to think I’m not a ****). But since it’s the off season I’ll play along. I don’t want them to, but I have a weird feeling of a trade up for Willis is what Shades really wants to do. Giants could be perfect partner if they don’t want 2 top 10 salaries and want to acquire picks. That’s my completely un-needed and Un-qualified jump into the fray of off-season nonsensical bullshit!!!

I agree with Coolie and put myself in same boat (other than I like to think I’m not a ****). But since it’s the off season I’ll play along. I don’t want them to, but I have a weird feeling of a trade up for Willis is what Shades really wants to do. Giants could be perfect partner if they don’t want 2 top 10 salaries and want to acquire picks. That’s my completely un-needed and Un-qualified jump into the fray of off-season nonsensical bullshit!!!
Worst case scenario in my opinion. Can't wait for next Thursday and whatever the reality is ........

Giants and Panthers are eye-balling QBs.
Panthers, as stated, were trying to get Deanus in Carolina. Trubisky was choosing between us and New York.
Both may easily go QB in Round 1 - which would mean Willis and Pickett would be off the board. Then Atlanta surfaces - anyone who thinks they're fine with Mariota at QB going forward? Then, of course, is Seattle coming in at 9 to play clean-up on the QB market.

Hopefully Willis and Pickett are both gone, and I'd not mind if Strong and Ridder are, too.

Though, I see:
Willis - 5th pick to NY
Pickett - 6th to Carolina
Corral - 8th pick to Atlanta
Ridder - 9th pick to Seattle

"or go with an offensive tackle"

That really would depend on how the Steelers draft board looks at the time, wouldn't you think?

Ridder top 10 is a massive over reach. If your scenario happens a damn good non Q player is gonna be a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Hell yea, he would be. Mouths will drop if that happens. Supe is pretty accurate how it should pan out, though. I can't see Ridder going top 10. He looked really lost in that PO game.

If you are in the same boat as Coolie, don't be surprised when you see a missile contrail headed your way.

Although I appreciate the humor, I meant I was in same boat as all the “experts”. NO ONE knows **** outside 3400 South Water Street in the ‘Burgh.

Giants and Panthers are eye-balling QBs.
Panthers, as stated, were trying to get Deanus in Carolina. Trubisky was choosing between us and New York.
Both may easily go QB in Round 1 - which would mean Willis and Pickett would be off the board. Then Atlanta surfaces - anyone who thinks they're fine with Mariota at QB going forward? Then, of course, is Seattle coming in at 9 to play clean-up on the QB market.

Hopefully Willis and Pickett are both gone, and I'd not mind if Strong and Ridder are, too.

Though, I see:
Willis - 5th pick to NY
Pickett - 6th to Carolina
Corral - 8th pick to Atlanta
Ridder - 9th pick to Seattle

If those QBs are gone by the 9th then I'd say we are safe from us moving up for any of them.

I don't see enough stupidity to wager the draft capital required to get above 1.10.

Stranger things but hope for smooth ride.

Salute the nation

none of these brain dead twats have any damn clue what the Steelers plans are
Of course they do… we are trading for Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, and Mayfield, signing winston, Mariotta, Bridgewater, and Brissett, drafting Pickett, Howell, Willis, ridder, and Corral… giving up every draft pick until 2057 in doing so, but we are gonna unleash a 11 headed monster at qb where everyone plays every position and nobody knows what the **** is going on… you know, just like these reports lol

Over the past week I've heard the Steelers have had Willis, Pickett, and Ridder all at the top of their draft list. None of these reporters have any idea what's going on with the Steelers right now. Willis has the most smoke, but nothing like what we saw with the Steelers and Najee Harris last year. Also, nothing has happened over the past week or two that would've swung the Steelers (or most team's) minds from one QB to another.

Of course they do… we are trading for Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, and Mayfield, signing winston, Mariotta, Bridgewater, and Brissett, drafting Pickett, Howell, Willis, ridder, and Corral… giving up every draft pick until 2057 in doing so, but we are gonna unleash a 11 headed monster at qb where everyone plays every position and nobody knows what the **** is going on… you know, just like these reports lol
finally someone making sense

You win. I hope Cool Shades is listening.

They are all gifted athletes so they shouldn't have any trouble playing any position................... of course we want "Jepordy Ace" Rodgers to play QB for two reasons............. his brain power and to appease slash.

Salute the nation

Unless I’m unaware this exists somewhere, I’d like to see every “report”/speculation/insider dirt/etc stated about the draft vs what actually happens to show how full of manure all these overpaid fable spinners really are.

Unless I’m unaware this exists somewhere, I’d like to see every “report”/speculation/insider dirt/etc stated about the draft vs what actually happens to show how full of manure all these overpaid fable spinners really are.
This is part of the issue with the NFL pushing the draft back. They wanted another week of content and that's what they're getting. Outlets need to create stories so they're always looking for new angles or changing things up to generate interest. The problem is it creates draft fatigue, which many are experiencing. I love draft content, but I should be gearing up to watch rounds 1-3 on Saturday, not having to wait a week for the dumb primetime lineup.