• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Republic, not democracy

Counselor,

I do not think that the poster you responded to can understand what you wrote. Sorta like Elfie and Tibs, but with a bunch of WV Archie Bunker mixed in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Lol, yeah ST, you may have to dumb it down a little on that one (if you can).

And the Electoral College was fantastic for 200 years until Gore, and then more importantly, Hitlery.

Hillary got over 3 million MORE VOTES THAN TRUMP. TELL ME IT AINT ****** UP

WVRON FOWLER

Inasmuch as 'they' can associate every vote with a registration, and every registration with an individual, they can precisely determine legitimate and illegitimate votes. The illegals well outnumber the 'over 3 million' 'votes' you speak of. And 3 million votes is but 2% of the votes cast. One can safely project that the votes from the 12.5 million illegals didn't go to the Republicans. California's 2.5 million illegals can easily manufacture a big chunk of that alone. One wonders just how many million legal votes Trump won by. 5? 6? 7?

Never the less, she failed to win the electoral vote. Put less delicately, she lost - fair and square.

The Dems just want a different system now because they've abandoned Middle America.

Inasmuch as 'they' can associate every vote with a registration, and every registration with an individual, they can precisely determine legitimate and illegitimate votes. The illegals well outnumber the 'over 3 million' 'votes' you speak of. And 3 million votes is but 2% of the votes cast. One can safely project that the votes from the 12.5 million illegals didn't go to the Republicans. California's 2.5 million illegals can easily manufacture a big chunk of that alone. One wonders just how many million legal votes Trump won by. 5? 6? 7?

Never the less, she failed to win the electoral vote. Put less delicately, she lost - fair and square.

I've been a volunteer poll watcher in my county a few times. We make sure everything is on the up-and-up, such as no one watching people cast their votes (one of my GOP brethren was roughed up by a Democrat hack when he protested him standing behind people while they were voting) and candidates being inside the polling place. Also matching the number of votes cast with the register at the end of the day. One of the biggest problems, and why you need voter ID, is people trying to vote at the wrong poll. One, you don't want people voting more than once, and two, there are other offices to vote for besides the President and WHERE you vote does matter because you're also usually voting for U.S. and state representatives, state senator, town council, or whatever. The more localized offices arguably have more effect on your life than the President does.

I'd be fine with eliminating the electoral college and making them electoral votes, automatically assigned to the winner of the popular vote in their state. Having actual people as electors, some of whom are not even bound by the popular vote, is stupid.
Not a new idea. In fact, JFK agrees -

The automatic plan, in many ways, cuts out the middleman and awards the state's vote to a particular candidate based on the popular vote of the state. Effectively, it removes the risk that electors would just cast their votes for whom they wanted, rather than what the state's vote reflected. To its champions, the automatic plan steers away from the pure popular vote and still has a buffer, since it follows a winner-take-all format. The candidate who gets the most popular votes will take all of the electoral votes for the state.

John F. Kennedy expressed a desire for election reform that sounds similar to the automatic plan. At a press conference in 1961, he said:

The area where I do think we perhaps could get some improvements would be in providing that the electors would be bound by the results of the State elections. I think that that would be a useful step forward. The electors, after all — the people vote, they assume the votes are going to be cast in the way which reflects the judgments of a majority of the people of the State. And therefore, I think it would be useful to have that automatic, and not set up this independent group who could vote for the candidate who carried the State or not, depending on their own personal views.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/190...d-be-the-answer-to-electoral-college-concerns

It makes no sense to have actual electors.

Last edited: