• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ryan Clark Speaks Out Against Goodell

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Normally I can't stand Ryan when he speaks out but he has a point on this one for sure!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Ryan Clark: Commish needs to act
ESPN.com news services

Washington Redskins safety Ryan Clark criticized commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday, saying the fact that he's yet to punish Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay "shows the hypocrisy of the NFL."

ClarkSo when has having enough information been what Roger Goodell waits for to make these decisions? When does a charge necessarily warrant the penalty? We've seen in so many cases Roger Goodell be judge and jury when it comes to players.
” -- Redskins S Ryan Clark, during appearance as guest analyst on ESPN's "First Take"

"Right now, if Jim Irsay is going to represent this league, represent the Indianapolis Colts, going to be on TV at the owners meetings, trying to bring a Super Bowl to Indianapolis after what he's done? It shows the hypocrisy of the NFL and also Roger Goodell in the way that he deals with players and the way he deals for the people he works for," Clark said during an appearance as a guest analyst on ESPN's "First Take."

"He's always said, 'Well, I don't work for the owners.' That's not true. Because in the CBA negotiations, you were sitting with the owners."

Irsay was arrested March 16 for allegedly operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He had $29,000 in cash and bottles of prescription drugs in his vehicle at the time. The owner faces four felony counts of possession of a controlled substance.

Irsay appeared at the NFL owners meetings in Atlanta on Monday but declined to speak about the arrest or his stay at a rehabilitation facility.

Asked about the situation this week, Goodell said, "There have been no charges. So the answer is, until we have more information or more facts, we will let it play out."

That explanation irked Clark, who cited the case of former Pittsburgh Steelers teammate Ben Roethlisberger as an example of Goodell acting swiftly on a player who hadn't been charged with a crime.

The quarterback was not charged in April 2010 in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub, but Goodell suspended him six games (it was later reduced to four) for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

"So when has having enough information been what Roger Goodell waits for to make these decisions?" Clark said on "First Take." "When does a charge necessarily warrant the penalty? We've seen in so many cases, Roger Goodell be judge and jury when it comes to players.

"So here we have Jim Irsay, a guy, an owner, who has history of substance abuse, who's found in a car with over $29K and prescription drugs that weren't in his name, pulled over for driving under the influence, and now we're saying we need more information? What more information do we need than these aren't your prescription pills? You're obviously under the influence. You have $29k. There would be no questions asked if this was a player."

Ryan has a loud mouth, it just so happens in this case, he's spot ******* on.

Go get em Ryan, keep spouting it from the mountain.

Joe

I wonder how Goodell will punish the Steelers for this....

You don't push to punish your boss, if you want to keep your job.

Ryan needs to get into the political arena

I agree, thought of Ben immediately when Goodell said we don't have all the information, please! Hypocrite....

I've always liked him on espn. For all the hits to the head, very good speaker on tv.

And he is ******* right. It could have been over by now, suspend him for owners meetings and a huge ******* fine. Done. Now, besides fine what can they do? Stay away from team? Who cares he doesn't do ****. I know, take a draft pick roger. Just like you were going to do to us! ******* RG.

I'm curious as to what will be the opinion of the Roger defenders here?

There is also the Ray Rice issue. The guy def needs a 6 game suspension...at least.

Irsay should get a suspension and a fine. Agree with what Clark said just don't like that he always runs his damn mouth.

There is also the Ray Rice issue. The guy def needs a 6 game suspension...at least.
why? he didnt rape no one.

The problem with Goodell is he is not consistent. He suspends one player for not being charged for any crime but then lets a felon walk right back on a team. Fines a player for leading with his helmet but then sells the picture on nfl.com for profit. I personally think a comittee made up of coaches, owners, current and former players to determine punishment would be the fairest thing to do.

Roger defenders? lol lol

I can only name 32 Roger defenders....

Nah, you'd be surprised. There are a few here that get indignant when blame is heaped upon Roger for ruining football by saying the blame is 100% on the owners and he is a poor innocent pawn in their schemes.

Well that probably isn't going to happen ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...pretrial-intervention-program-avoid-jail-time

"Rice could still face discipline -- including a suspension -- from the league, though Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco would be surprised if it came to that.

"I don't foresee anything crazy happening with that," Flacco said Monday, via NJ.com. "I'm expecting to have him [for the entire season].""

"You are held to a higher standard as an NFL player. There is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans. Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare."

from Goodell's letter to Big Ben...

take out Milledgeville and insert where Irsay was driving and I figure it could be switched over to his situation. or maybe what Rice did... or maybe what Suggs did... or maybe what countless others have done... but they were not Steelers.

Nah, you'd be surprised. There are a few here that get indignant when blame is heaped upon Roger for ruining football by saying the blame is 100% on the owners and he is a poor innocent pawn in their schemes.

Well, I may fall into that category, I suppose, but I would never consider myself a "supporter" of Gooddell. I despise what Goodell has done to the game, but he has done it, clearly, with the owner's approval. Didn't they give him a big bonus last year or the year before? Gooddell is a ******** who I believe has ruined the game. The owners are fucktards for allowing it. They could stop it. They don't.

Well, I may fall into that category, I suppose, but I would never consider myself a "supporter" of Gooddell. I despise what Goodell has done to the game, but he has done it, clearly, with the owner's approval. Didn't they give him a big bonus last year or the year before? Gooddell is a ******** who I believe has ruined the game. The owners are fucktards for allowing it. They could stop it. They don't.

I agree with this.

Most of us complain about Roger- but he is simply an empty suit. Roger is simply the personification of 32 men who are looking for their product (NFL team) to appreciate in value...

Listen to the last interview Roger gave about expanding the playoffs- He spouted out 3 points of focus:

1.) Competitiveness
2.) Ticket sales
3.) Advertising

We just gotta realize that the owners consider the league to be business and an investment; and business is what will dictate their decisions

"You are held to a higher standard as an NFL player. There is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans. Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare."

from Goodell's letter to Big Ben...

take out Milledgeville and insert where Irsay was driving and I figure it could be switched over to his situation. or maybe what Rice did... or maybe what Suggs did... or maybe what countless others have done... but they were not Steelers.

Well said. RG is an insulator for the ownership. He makes lame decisions when he is allowed to make them. The NFL is the problem. It has very little to do with the game anymore. That is why it was hard to watch last year, and I bet I have a hard time this year. At lease when you watch it, Bob Costas can re-educate you backwards, lowlife, scum buckets who don't agree with his PC views.