• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Safety Targets

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Given the lack of investment by the team at the Strong Safety position it could be a real possibility to use a high pick to draft one.

There certainly is only one consensus #1 Safety this year in Hamilton and we won't probably have any chance to grab him. Then en there's a group of 3 guys that are ranked as late 1st early 2nd prospects: Dax Hill, Lewis Cine and Jaquan Brisker who close out the upper echelon players at the positiok. Then another cluster of 2nd/3round ranked guys with Jalen Pitre, Cook, Cross and McKinley, after this I think talent dilutes and any player taken is a raw developmental guy or athletically limited to be an instant contributor to the team.

Any scenario is open of course, the team could even decide that they want to invest their 1.20 at SS, as improbable as it might sound, like they did with Edmunds because they see a guy that could be the next great Steeler Safety and make a super tandem with Minkah. Of the three top guys there despite Hill being ranked higher I don't see him as a SS, he looks more like a FS/Nickel CB and would be redundant with Minkah.

Cine and Brisker are more in the mold of a SS that are also good in coverage, yet Brisker could blanket either CBS or TEs and still lay the wood when needed while Cine is more of the near the box enforcer that can cover too but don't ask him to take on a WR deep from the line of scrimmage. Both of these guys could start from the get go as rookies

I like the other guys in the later rounds too, Pitre, Cross, Cook but not McKinley as he is more of a FS but the others seem like could be plug and play players, with theirs warts but talented enough to play some as rookies.

Any thoughts in these guys? What do you think of the possibility of getting a 1st round S and which would you like? A trade down with the Lions to 1.32 would be a real possibility if they don't draft QB with their early 1st.

Salute the Nation

Last edited:
Very nice post Litos, thank you

Baker intrigues me and would like him 1.20 but better as a trade down then get. Obviously like you stated Hamilton but Highly doubt he is there at 1.20 .

I'd be ok with that move down for more picks like their 1st & 2nd would be awesoe in this draft class.

Salute the nation

Went back n forth with this list. Assuming Hamilton is long gone. So I think there is only one I would attach to the Steelers in 1. Not that others won't be solid players. But for what I feel the Steelers need. A capable cover S that can diagnose and play the run well. With the size to hold up. Cine gets my final nod. He also fits the power 5 school Steelers preference. I like a few in the 2nd but I feel Cine would be a great SS fit in 1.

Oh yeah before I forget he had a damn good RAS too. Just checks off every box.

Brisker would be a decent round 2 option.

Went back n forth with this list. Assuming Hamilton is long gone. So I think there is only one I would attach to the Steelers in 1. Not that others won't be solid players. But for what I feel the Steelers need. A capable cover S that can diagnose and play the run well. With the size to hold up. Cine gets my final nod. He also fits the power 5 school Steelers preference. I like a few in the 2nd but I feel Cine would be a great SS fit in 1.

Oh yeah before I forget he had a damn good RAS too. Just checks off every box.

Brisker would be a decent round 2 option.
My question is, does Cine have a bigger ceiling than Edmunds? I'm not so sure really and for that I rather take a flyer later in the 3rd round with cross or cook. Look at his stats in college, he is not much of a playmaker though those 9 pass deflections are encouraging.

My question is, does Cine have a bigger ceiling than Edmunds? I'm not so sure really and for that I rather take a flyer later in the 3rd round with cross or cook. Look at his stats in college, he is not much of a playmaker though those 9 pass deflections are encouraging.
I think Cine will give you the coverage skills Edmunds doesn't. So in that aspect his ceiling is higher. I am looking as coverage capable just as much as ballhawking ability. I think Edmunds isn't very instinctual either. I think Cine can bring two of those attributes to the table.

Every time I watch Cine's tape his tackling ability jumps off the screen. The ball carrier never seems to get a forward lean on him. He just drops them in their tracks. I think he has far greater potential than Edmunds.

Been watching some All-22 for Hamilton. Know who he reminds me of, a lot?

Terrell Edmunds. Kinda around the receiver, does not break up many passes, sure tackler, plays a good deal of single-high, 25 yards from the line of scrimmage.