• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Science as McCarthyism

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378011/science-mccarthyism-rupert-darwall

On Monday, Washington Post columnist Michael Gerson took a tilt at climate skeptics. “The assumption that the vast majority in a scientific field is engaged in fraud or corruption is frankly conspiratorial,” Gerson wrote. As a non-scientist, he decided that the answer to the question of whether humans had warmed the planet was to trust scientists.

The article’s timing was unfortunate. Three weeks ago, Lennart Bengtsson, a leading Swedish meteorologist approaching his 80s, announced that he was joining the avowedly skeptical Global Warming Policy Foundation think tank. In an interview with Speigel Online, Bengtsson spoke of the need for climate-model predictions to be validated against observations. “Since the end of the 20th century, the warming of the Earth has been much weaker than what climate models show,” he said.

Hadn’t the IPCC covered this in its recent report? “Yes,” Bengtsson replied,
the scientific report does this but, at least in my view, not critically enough. It does not bring up the large difference between observational results and model simulations. I have full respect for the scientific work behind the IPCC reports but I do not appreciate the need for consensus. It is important, and I will say essential, that society and the political community is also made aware of areas where consensus does not exist.

One of the most telling features of climate science is just how few climate scientists changed their minds as the evidence changed. The pause in global temperature in the last 15 years or so has been unexpected. Now we know why: Yesterday, Bengtsson dropped a bombshell. He was resigning from the think tank. In his resignation letter, Bengtsson wrote:

I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. . . . Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc. I see no limit and end to what will happen. It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy.

Especially significant was a tweet from Gavin Schmidt, a leading climate modeler at the NASA Goddard Institute, who for many years worked alongside James Hansen. “Groups perceived to be acting in bad faith should not be surprised that they are toxic within the science community,” Schmidt tweeted. “Changing that requires that they not act in bad faith and not be seen to be acting in bad faith.”

Evidently the right to practice and discuss climate science should be subject to a faith test. It is an extraordinarily revealing development. Fears about unbelievers’ polluting the discourse, as some academics put it, illustrate the weakness of climate science: The evidence for harmful anthropogenic global warming is not strong enough to stand up for itself.

Inadvertently Schmidt’s tweet demonstrates how far climate science has crossed the boundary deep into pseudo-science. Karl Popper observed of the trio of pseudo-sciences prevalent in 1920s Vienna that their followers could explain why non-believers rejected their manifest truths. For Marxists, it was because of their class interests. For subscribers to Freudian psychoanalysis and Alfred Adler’s psychology, non-belief was evidence of unanalyzed repressions crying out for treatment. So it is with climate science. Only the pure of heart should be allowed an opinion on it.

Science regresses if it becomes intolerant of criticism. At the beginning of her reign, Queen Elizabeth I of England spoke words of tolerance in an age of religious strife, declaring that she had no intention of making windows into men’s souls. Unlike religion, science is not a matter of the heart or of belief. It exists only in what can be demonstrated. In their persecution of an aged colleague who stepped out of line and their call for scientists to be subject to a faith test, 21st-century climate scientists have shown less tolerance than a 16th-century monarch.

There is something rotten in the state of climate science.

— Rupert Darwall is the author of The Age of Global Warming: A History.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I've decided to adopt the warmies strategy and utilize it in my own life. So just a heads up that from now on no one here or anywhere else may question anything I say. If you do I will simply reply condescendingly that if I believe it it must be true and roll my eyes at any retort that follows The science is settled. Please don't make me whip out my new dogma.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Their pseudo-science is being outed and they don't like it one bit. Comparisons between this refusal to print a dissenting view and the hidden e-mails are surfacing more as time goes by.

Prof Bengtsson’s paper suggests that the Earth’s environment might be much less sensitive to greenhouse gases than previously thought.

If he and his four co-authors are correct, it would mean that carbon dioxide and other pollutants are having a far less severe impact on climate than green activists would have us believe.

The research, if made public, would be a huge challenge to the finding of the UN’s Intergovernmental panel on Climate Change (IPCC). He said: ‘It is an indication of how science is gradually being influenced by political views. The reality hasn’t been keeping up with the [computer] models.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-covered-claimed-fuel-climate-scepticism.html

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody who doubts global warming is a denier, i.e., akin to one of those kooks who denies the Holocaust. For example, take a look at this graph and the clear evidence of unrelenting warming over the past 17+ years, and the incredible accuracy of the climate models:

clip_image0043.jpg

Wait ... Okay, but THIS attachment provides proof positive of the warming over the past 114 years ... goddammit, can't anybody keep this @#$% straight?!?!?!?

Attachments

• expected.jpg
    expected.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is why global warming is slowing down http://www.theguardian.com/environm...obal-warming-fake-pause-hiatus-climate-change

of course once this theory is proven wrong we will have to listen to some other bullshit.

Yes, I have read this. And what is it proof of? That the climate has constant fluctuations due to a wide variety of factors.

I'm not a "global warming denier" even. I don't dispute temps are getting warmer. What I do dispute is that there is incontrovertible evidence about what's causing it, what the effects will be, what mitigating factors might affect the process. The fact that anyone who questions the current accepted theories, even when the data don't bear them out, is shunned and ridiculed doesn't fill me with confidence in the conclusions.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Unlike religion, science is not a matter of the heart or of belief. It exists only in what can be demonstrated.

If only this were still true.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look, I do environmental testing. If I perfectly calibrate a CO2 monitor and take readings in a city environment or close to highways I get them in the 400 ppm or higher range. In more remote areas I do not. I don't believe in their modeling at all. I believe there is natural cycling of climates, and we know that some now heavily populated areas were underwater in the fairly recent past. I think its scary how they are going down the path of using incorrect and intentionally biased material to drive this agenda, and how they are talking about imprisoning persons who challenge the findings and theories.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Look, I do environmental testing. If I perfectly calibrate a CO2 monitor and take readings in a city environment or close to highways I get them in the 400 ppm or higher range. In more remote areas I do not. I don't believe in their modeling at all. I believe there is natural cycling of climates, and we know that some now heavily populated areas were underwater in the fairly recent past. I think its scary how they are going down the path of using incorrect and intentionally biased material to drive this agenda, and how they are talking about imprisoning persons who challenge the findings and theories.

Well said. Thanks for doing what you do, and please speak up regularly.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
I've decided to adopt the warmies strategy and utilize it in my own life. So just a heads up that from now on no one here or anywhere else may question anything I say. If you do I will simply reply condescendingly that if I believe it it must be true and roll my eyes at any retort that follows The science is settled. Please don't make me whip out my new dogma.

Anything in science can be questioned. When it's questioned by the people qualified in that specific scientific field and they reach a 97% consensus it's pretty obvious to most sane people what side reality falls under.

Note that 'sane' people of course does not include teabaggers, the Cliven Bundy fan club, and most Christians. Mix and match what you need from that group.

Follow the link below so you can visualize the position you guys occupy, hopefully some of you will grasp how looney you sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Anything in science can be questioned. When it's questioned by the people qualified in that specific scientific field and they reach a 97% consensus it's pretty obvious to most sane people what side reality falls under.

Note that 'sane' people of course does not include teabaggers, the Cliven Bundy fan club, and most Christians. Mix and match what you need from that group.

Follow the link below so you can visualize the position you guys occupy, hopefully some of you will grasp how looney you sound.

Here we are again with the '97% consensus', 'the debate is settled' and 'it's obvious that there are more storms' and blah blah blah. Facts continually disprove these leftist soapbox issues but they pop up like whack-a-moles again and again.

View attachment 104

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta...caught-doctoring-97-percent-consensus-claims/

Your attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. This debate has gone way beyond "science" and into politics, where it DOES NOT BELONG. Real scientists do not take a position and then refuse to reconsider it or question it even when the data does not bear it out. People who claim they value science don't accept things (like the 97% claim) without doing a little research. Whatever data you find that agrees with you, is gospel, anything that calls any of your beliefs into question, is idiocy or insanity. That's not science. That's ideology.

Note that anyone who dares question whether the outcomes are actually matching the predictions, and asking the question of "why not" is immediately labelled as insane or a right wing nutjob. That's really not a scientific way of looking at things. I could post a long, long list of things that were at one point scientific consensus that were later found to be erroneous. Science is not perfect. It should not be politicized.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
Here we are again with the '97% consensus', 'the debate is settled' and 'it's obvious that there are more storms' and blah blah blah. Facts continually disprove these leftist soapbox issues but they pop up like whack-a-moles again and again.

View attachment 104

And here we are again with the denial of the 97% consensus even though 3 different studies/surveys have come up with the same results. Where have you read or heard that climate scientists claimed there would be more storms?

I have never heard or read that, only that weather events would be intensified(the california/southwest drought/ Sandy/Haiyan,etc.) not to mention the wildfires we are enjoying as a bonus in Cali,Texas, Australia and on.

Vader

Reaction score

What a bunch of horse ****. Nothing but limousine liberals, Al gore fan club members and paid off politically controlled communists "scientist" believe this non-sense. They even have to lie about how many of them believe what. They have to hide e-mails and keep other scientists from going against their god of global warming... I mean global climate change. Frauds in scientists robes claiming the world is coming to an end like a religious nut in central park.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/05/97-study-falsely-classifies-scientists.html

Vader

Reaction score
And here we are again with the denial of the 97% consensus even though 3 different studies/surveys have come up with the same results. Where have you read or heard that climate scientists claimed there would be more storms?

I have never heard or read that, only that weather events would be intensified(the california/southwest drought/ Sandy/Haiyan,etc.) not to mention the wildfires we are enjoying as a bonus in Cali,Texas, Australia and on.

From the EPA government page on "climate change":

Northern areas are projected to become wetter, especially in the winter and spring. Southern areas, especially in the West, are projected to become drier. [1]
•Heavy precipitation events will likely be more frequent. Heavy downpours that currently occur about once every 20 years are projected to occur about every four to 15 years by 2100, depending on location. [1]
•More precipitation is expected to fall as rain rather than snow, particularly in some northern areas. [1]
The intensity of Atlantic hurricanes is likely to increase as the ocean warms. Climate models project that for each 1.8°F increase in tropical sea surface temperatures the rainfall rates of hurricanes could increase by 6-18% and the wind speeds of the strongest hurricanes could increase by about 1-8%. [1] There is less confidence in projections of the frequency of hurricanes, but the global frequency of tropical hurricanes is likely to decrease or remain essentially unchanged. [5]
•Cold-season storm tracks are expected to continue to shift northward. The strongest cold-season storms are projected to become stronger and more frequent. [1]

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score

Please stop...that 97% consensus thing has been debunked over and over again. (see Vaders link) More storms, worse storms, extreme weather...whatever, it's still BS.

Global warming is making hot days hotter, rainfall and flooding heavier, hurricanes stronger and droughts more severe. This intensification of weather and climate extremes will be the most visible impact of global warming in our everyday lives. It is also causing dangerous changes to the landscape of our world, adding stress to wildlife species and their habitat.

Ripple Effects

Energy Infrastructure - More weather and climate extremes are likely to impact U.S. energy security in ways that have not been adequately considered. Power outages are already becoming more common, oil and gas infrastructure in the Gulf region is at risk as hurricanes and tropical storms intensify, coal transport by rail and barge across the Midwest and Northeast will face more flooding disruptions, and electricity generation in the Southwest will be limited by water shortages and more extreme heat.

A Disproportionate Impact - More and more Americans will be living in places highly vulnerable to weather and climate extremes as population continues to grow rapidly in cities, along the coasts and in the South. Racial and ethnic minorities will be disproportionately impacted because their populations are concentrated in these places. Furthermore, global warming will add further stress to existing problems in urban areas, in particular poverty, inequities in access to health care, aging infrastructure and air pollution

More Extreme Allergies - Unchecked global warming will worsen respiratory allergies for approximately 25 million Americans. These potential impacts of global warming could have a significant economic impact: allergies and asthma already cost the United States more than $32 billion annually in direct health care costs and lost productivity.
http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats...lobal-Warming-is-Causing-Extreme-Weather.aspx

Good Lord please help us from this plague upon our land....NOT !

Those of us who know and understand the entire Climate Change movement is a hoax understand that it is not about the climate, at all. It IS about power. The Democrats have it and they intend to keep it—no matter how depraved they must appear to their constituents to do so.

But first, they feel a pressing need to scare the living daylights out of their supporters. That’s why we are being inundated, everyday, by volumes of data telling us how hopeless life will soon be on this planet, as a result of Global Warming/Climate Change. Because Global Warming is not about Global Warming!!! The Global Warming movement is not about saving the earth. It is about destroying America! That is the goal. That is the target the Global Warming movement is aiming for.

Cloaked by their love for the Earth and the people of the earth, the world’s socialist movement, and Marxist movement, long ago saw the environmental movement as a new front in their war against the one nation on this earth which has withstood their onslaught the longest—America. They have successfully infiltrated our institutions of higher learning and molded the minds of our young to believe their lies and their propaganda. And it worked!

“There’s a sucker born every minute”! The Global Warming crowd is COUNTING on it!

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

Science will never be about consensus or 97%. If you don't understand that, you don't understand science. Full stop.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
It's the end of May and we had hail today. I don't need this ****.

Vader

Reaction score
It's the end of May and we had hail today. I don't need this ****.

More climate change!! I'm in the deep south and it is over 20 degrees below normal. It was almost freezing here last night... in the middle of May. Yea, I know that doesn't count because it isn't global but neither is Australia and somehow that manages to get used for global warming but I know it is different because if it fits the agenda then it's good to use.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
The thing about those 97% "scientists" is most of them are not in anyway involved in Geophysics or Climatogy. Some were "scientists" only in the loosest sense of the word. One that springs quickly to mind was a person with a PHD in Chinese Folk Medicine. As the actual data that was used to come up with the whole AGW concept is looked at the best that is being said by Geophysicists is "yeah this is inconclusive and we need to do more study and look at all the data." But the guy that came up with AGW won't release all his data so....

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
The first question I ask when the results of a study are published, is who actually funded the study? Many studies are funded by special interest groups, with the expectation that the study results will benefit the funding group.I believe this is true with many of the AGW "studies".

ark steel

Reaction score
The first question I ask when the results of a study are published, is who actually funded the study? Many studies are funded by special interest groups, with the expectation that the study results will benefit the funding group.I believe this is true with many of the AGW "studies".

The only studies that are influenced by those funding it are those done by Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big -Anythingbutgovernment.

Rod Farva

Reaction score

See here's the thing....I believe otherwise therefore the science is settled. You really should be able to hear me sighing condescendingly and see how far back my eyes rolled just now to get the full effect.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
See here's the thing....I believe otherwise therefore the science is settled. You really should be able to hear me sighing condescendingly and see how far back my eyes rolled just now to get the full effect.

Now there's a response that rings the ole bell.