• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Shaizer injury update

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
doesn't sound good.

Father of Ryan Shazier says son is progressing, leaning on faith to cope with injury

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...hazier-says-son-making-progress-relying-faith

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Shazier is making progress and relying on faith and prayer to cope with a severe spinal injury suffered Dec. 4, Shazier's father, Vernon, said in an interview with ESPN.

"We have seen some improvement that is encouraging," Vernon said. "We're taking it one day at a time. We do not know what tomorrow holds. It's a [daily] journey we don't know. But I know God is getting the message."

Shazier, the fourth-year Steelers linebacker and two-time Pro Bowler, underwent spinal stabilization surgery on Dec. 6 after a collision on Monday Night Football. He spent two nights in a Cincinnati hospital and remains in a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center facility for rehabilitation.

Shazier's appearance at Heinz Field for Sunday's Steelers-Patriots game was his first trip out of the hospital.

"We're praying for healing and keeping our mind and faith strong," Vernon said. "We know we're in a deep valley, but we do not feel alone."

Before the interview, Vernon, an NFL chaplain who's been in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh with his son since the injury, clarified he couldn't get into specifics about the injury.

But he continued with powerful perspective.

"It's easy to be faithful in a storm, but we're not talking about a drizzle," Vernon said. "We're talking about a hurricane, a category 5 [hurricane], lots of metaphors to describe it."

The Shaziers have looked to the outpouring of support nationally as a source of strength. They've limited visitors to close friends and family, teammates and select members of the Steelers organization. But Shazier has been uplifted by the constant texts, emails and social media messages -- and even end zone prayers, via Browns running back Duke Johnson.

Those inside and outside the NFL have expressed concern.

"You've got little kids that are praying for him. He has over a million people praying for him," Vernon said. "It's coming from so many different sources. ... I got an email from a kid who has a medical issue, where Ryan has touched his heart. You have kids wishing Ryan gets better for Christmas. It's keeping us up."

And the occasional distraction has been good for Shazier, whose appearance in Heinz was like "therapy," Vernon said. In the first quarter, Shazier was shown on the giant video screen waving a Terrible Towel from a suite.

Teammates who have visited Shazier said they noticed how eager the linebacker is to talk Steelers strategy. On Tuesday, Shazier was announced as a Pro Bowl representative for his 89 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles through 12 games.

"Ryan had two goals going into the year -- a Pro Bowl and a Super Bowl," Vernon said. "He's been able to check one off the list. He's hoping to check the next one off."

The harsh reality of severe NFL injuries hasn't affected Vernon's outlook on the sport just yet. He's been in and around the game for 16 years. Shazier's parents are based in South Florida but will consider Pittsburgh home for a while to be with their son.

"The reality of the game is that it's a violent sport. I naturally pray for those guys going out there every game," Vernon said. "Any day there's a football game playing, I'm praying. About whether people should play, I don't think I'm at that point to think about it."

Then he added more about the family's perspective as they pray for daily improvements.

"We haven't asked why. Bad things happen to good people," Vernon said. "But God's always faithful."

238646b716049f9916bda35c7b2702e1--genius-quotes-power-of-prayer.jpg

Puts **** in perspective.

Still praying, still Shalieving.

Damn shame. Hope his recovery gives him back a normal life.

The more I hear and see (didn't show him stand at all when at the game) about Shaziers recovery, the more I don't like it. At this point, **** football, just get back to standing, walking and leading a normal life.

He was in a wheelchair at the game. You could tell because you could see him rolling back and forth while he was cheering. I'm starting to feel like they are scared he may not walk again. There has been so little info it makes me think the worst.

Yeah football is over. All about rehabilitation and quality of life. Man this is so unfortunate. Great person. Great player. Get well Ryan.

Yes his football career is over. The focus is only only on his ability to walk again. I hope the Steelers take care of him financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

No One Will Say If Ryan Shazier Can Walk

Like other recent updates and news about Shazier’s condition, the interview is frustratingly vague, with Vernon saying before the interview that “he couldn’t get into specifics about the injury.” From the article:

Never before has the severity of an NFL injury been such a secret. We know that Shazier had spinal stabilization surgery, and he’s started rehab. But the most up front anyone has been about his condition was when Shazier was on the scoreboard in Pittsburgh during last Sunday’s game, apparently seated, waving a Terrible Towel and receiving a huge ovation from the crowd.

There remains a conspicuous lack of details about his prognosis and his current abilities.

Silence is not good news. If Shazier was doing well, or on a path to full recovery, the Steelers and the NFL would make sure everyone knew, and we’d see more of him than just his silent appearance up in a Pittsburgh suite. This mystery makes no sense if Shazier’s injury was a standard “placed on injured reserve” affair.

Normally, this isn’t something that the general public is entitled to know. Shazier’s recovery should be a private journey between him and his loved ones, and, even as an NFL player, his medical information isn’t for everyone to analyze. But the Steelers pushing this “inspirational” moment of a seated Shazier getting cheered at his home stadium—while remaining tight-lipped about any potentially depressing details—raises a lot of questions that the NFL, itself, isn’t answering. And it shines a bright light on just how hard it is for the NFL to talk about the damage its game can do to players without a narrative of recovery or triumph over adversity.

https://deadspin.com/no-one-will-say-if-ryan-shazier-can-walk-1821511808

He's not walking yet. It isn't the information they are giving it is what their family and friends are saying about continued need for prayer and incremental improvement.

You are right though, it is weird that the league is ignoring the severity of this injury.

He went to practice yesterday in a wheel chair. That really scares me for him. I will continue to pray. I want to see him walk onto that field. SHALIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have better hopes than the rest of you... if it was the injury that causes permanent paralysis they refer to it as something besides spinal concussion... several things Ive read about this says in almost every case the paralysis is temporary and he will be fine in time, though he is a fool if he even thinks about playing again imo...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/health...cord-the-concussion-youve-never-heard-of/amp/

the fusion and rehab is consistent with the treatment to stabilize a section of the spine that has narrowing from repeated impact... there was a report the second or third day that he had sensation back in all extremities....

My only worry is he will try to continue to play one day... id much rather him start teaching kids the dangers of spearing

Its all speculation but I think its more good reading between the lines than bad....

I know a close friend of his family and was finally able to speak with him today. Even Ryan's father is being tight lipped about his condition, but I do know that he is doing ok and IS walking.

He's not walking yet. It isn't the information they are giving it is what their family and friends are saying about continued need for prayer and incremental improvement.

You are right though, it is weird that the league is ignoring the severity of this injury.

Bad for business. This and CTE.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I can't remember a injury ever to anybody, that status of the recovery was kept such a secret. I wonder why they can't just come out and tell the fans that he is doing better, that he is walking, they don't need to say anything more than that, but an official update that the man had regained the ability to walk would be music to most peoples ear. I don't think anyone is concerned about him playing again but I know every steeler fan is concerned about him walking. I don't give two ***** if he ever suits up for us again, but I do hope and pray he is able to live a normal life for him and his family's sake.

I can't remember a injury ever to anybody, that status of the recovery was kept such a secret. I wonder why they can't just come out and tell the fans that he is doing better, that he is walking, they don't need to say anything more than that, but an official update that the man had regained the ability to walk would be music to most peoples ear. I don't think anyone is concerned about him playing again but I know every steeler fan is concerned about him walking. I don't give two ***** if he ever suits up for us again, but I do hope and pray he is able to live a normal life for him and his family's sake.
Walking is a broad term. This isnt a typical injury situation. Even regular IR situations the info only trickles out after the surgery went well. This is a medical privacy situation. Its really up to Ryan.