• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson Arrested For Child Neglect (Parkland FL Shooting)

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
"BREAKING: After a 14-month investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, former Broward Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson was arrested today on 7 counts of child neglect, 3 counts of culpable negligence and 1 count of perjury, per Broward State Attorney Mike Satz."

That was a total choke job. He even warned officers on the way to stay back. His “fight or flight” instinct was to stand there and **** his pants. Schools need metal detectors and at lease one armed full time police officer or National Guardsman trained in how to respond to that situation. With deadly force.

I don't know about prosecuting this guy for being scared shitless and freezing. I'd need to see what his job description was. Doesn't seem right.

I don't know about prosecuting this guy for being scared shitless and freezing. I'd need to see what his job description was. Doesn't seem right.

I’m not sure about that either. He claims he thought the shots were coming from outside. Sounds like a cop out but maybe he really did.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

'Scot Peterson, the sheriff’s deputy vilified for failing to confront the Parkland school shooter, has begun receiving a state pension of $8,702.35 a month.'

Take 4 or 5K of his retirement ea. month and use it to help pay for any remaining victim's medical bills, put it towards a memorial, etc. Spread it out among each victim's family and each of the survivors. Won't bring any of these kids back, but some good could come out of it.

He worked for the Police department and was the lone assigned armed personnel at the school. His duty title was Security Officer....the yellow ******* should be shot, not receiving a $9K a month pension. That’s a slap to every tax payer in the county. He’s lucky I don’t live next to him....I would have a neon sign pointed at his house flashing Coward every 2 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think they said he was with the police department for 20-plus years. And it was a 14 month investigation so I'm thinking they were pretty thorough and wanted to be sure this guy deserved charges, and it says 1 count of perjury so I'm thinking he was bullshitting about where he thought the shots were coming from.

But I don't know the whole story, and this is indeed a tough one. We've seen others though now who don't even have any training, don't have a weapon on them, and they are risking their lives charging at these maniacs. This guy was trained for this and was armed.

I don't know about prosecuting the guy, but he had a weapon, the element of surprise, and a bullet proof vest. He definitely choked and froze, but is that a crime? I think he should have been immediately relieved of duty and not collecting a pension

Here is what I can tell you as a public school employee. When the local police / sheriff's dept has to designate an officer to be the full time security officer in a public school, they send the "Barney Fife" of the police force for that role. At least from what I've seen in several school districts. Think about it, they have to pull someone off the streets to do it. Who would you figure they would choose, their best officers?

Reactions: wig
Here is what I can tell you as a public school employee. When the local police / sheriff's dept has to designate an officer to be the full time security officer in a public school, they send the "Barney Fife" of the police force for that role. At least from what I've seen in several school districts. Think about it, they have to pull someone off the streets to do it. Who would you figure they would choose, their best officers?

Not so in Cheyenne. We have many of the most senior officers there, one was recently officer of the year. I know him. He is former special forces.

Coward of Broward County had kids killed on his watch and he gets $9k/month as a reward. I agree with Turd Ferguson...****** should be shamed every day of the rest of his life.
MAYBE if he had tried to intervene one less kid would have been shot? or two? or three?

**** this guy

Not so in Cheyenne. We have many of the most senior officers there, one was recently officer of the year. I know him. He is former special forces.

It's A LOT different here. In this area, both schools and police forces are down to a bare bones staff and are extremely cash strapped. They could not afford to take a top officer off the street. The entire police force in the areas around here is 7 or 8 per town. They could never do that.

Yeah just pretty sure his job description did not include going into a live fire situation, and I don't think he should be prosecuted. Most of us here would rush in, no doubt, but I just don't think you prosecute Paul Blart for not being a hero.

Coward of Broward County had kids killed on his watch and he gets $9k/month as a reward. I agree with Turd Ferguson...****** should be shamed every day of the rest of his life.
MAYBE if he had tried to intervene one less kid would have been shot? or two? or three?

**** this guy

You had 1 job. 1. You stood behind a concrete pole for 48 minutes while kids died. Dude should be ashamed of himself, and not collecting a pension. Though I did read he's been formally fired so maybe that golden parachute goes away. I don't know. How does he live with himself?

It's A LOT different here. In this area, both schools and police forces are down to a bare bones staff and are extremely cash strapped. They could not afford to take a top officer off the street. The entire police force in the areas around here is 7 or 8 per town. They could never do that.

I see reports coming in from lots of areas in the nation, where cops are quitting and can't be replaced. The future looks scary.

$9000 per month in pension? That's a lot of money. Probably more than he was paid when he was working. Insane.

I see reports coming in from lots of areas in the nation, where cops are quitting and can't be replaced. The future looks scary.

Obama's war on the police is the cause of this. They already get ****** pay to risk their lives and that piece of **** went Ice T on them.

Yeah just pretty sure his job description did not include going into a live fire situation....
Most/all LEO's are now trained in active shooter scenarios. Prior to Columbine, the LEO response in such a situation was to establish a perimeter and call SWAT. After Columbine, the LEO response changed to that of needing to take immediate action, quickly enter the building, and put specific actions into motion.

Not knowing the full details of Peterson and his specific job duties as a Resource Officer, it'll all come down to whether his job description outlined his duties along the lines of an LEO or a protective security officer. The responsibilities are not the same, nor are the required responses to an active shooting situation. I know the indictment will read that he "shoulda", but if it turns out that it's more like he "coulda", Peterson may be guilty only of cowardice. And proving him guilty in what breaks down to "nonfeasance" will be tough. He better have a good defense attorney that's worked with LEO's before.

Why would any reasonable person enter a field where he/she puts his/her life on the line every day, not knowing if it's the last day they'll ever see their family. But slimy politicians in tailored clothing, sitting behind a fancy mahogany desk, with a full staff available to them day or night, taking part in fancy, paid-for lunches/dinners at fancy clubs/restaurants, networking/hobnobbing with the elite class for that gig with a six or seven $$ figure salary once they leave office... these snakes go out on the campaign trail and say **** like this (at this article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/julian-castro-unveils-police-reform-plan/):

*The former Housing and Urban Development secretary is proposing policing changes like restricting the use of deadly force...
*requiring law enforcement to get written consent for consensual car searches...
*One major change to the system would be an executive order to demilitarize the police force. This would prohibit any federal funds granted to state and local government from buying high-caliber rifles...
*lower the burden of proof to prosecute police officers for misconduct while investing in civilian oversight boards of local police departments...

Few points:

1st- Peterson didn't just not go into the building. He moved away from the building. Cameras show him moving from the building to the perimeter. He was looking for cover.

2nd- There is no way he thought the shots were coming from outside. Cameras show him moving away from the school and standing facing the school. Why face the school if you thought the shots were coming from outside the school? So why would you put an object between yourself and the school if the shots are outside the school.

3rd- He's a lying POS. He let those kids die because he refused to do his job because he knew he was retiring soon.

I'm a teacher and our resource officer is a good guy. I have no doubts he would take a bullet for these kids. His own kids go to our school. Even if they aren't the most trained many of them are dedicated. IMHO teachers need to be armed. Maybe not all of them... but any of them. Teacher like me that have been around guns our entire lives and have trained in concealed carry and active shooter drills. That would stop school shootings with very limited to no deaths.

IMO, the mere implication that a teacher at the school - or many teachers at the school - would be armed and may snuff any attempt at a school shooting before it became infamous or famous would be an excellent way to squash the pathetic idea of shooting up a school by some fucknut.

Few points:

1st- Peterson didn't just not go into the building. He moved away from the building. Cameras show him moving from the building to the perimeter. He was looking for cover.

2nd- There is no way he thought the shots were coming from outside. Cameras show him moving away from the school and standing facing the school. Why face the school if you thought the shots were coming from outside the school? So why would you put an object between yourself and the school if the shots are outside the school.

3rd- He's a lying POS. He let those kids die because he refused to do his job because he knew he was retiring soon.

I'm a teacher and our resource officer is a good guy. I have no doubts he would take a bullet for these kids. His own kids go to our school. Even if they aren't the most trained many of them are dedicated. IMHO teachers need to be armed. Maybe not all of them... but any of them. Teacher like me that have been around guns our entire lives and have trained in concealed carry and active shooter drills. That would stop school shootings with very limited to no deaths.

Spot on. After reading all the details, this POS got the verdict he deserved.

Yeah just pretty sure his job description did not include going into a live fire situation, and I don't think he should be prosecuted. Most of us here would rush in, no doubt, but I just don't think you prosecute Paul Blart for not being a hero.

his job is to PROTECT and Serve....not hide outside while kids are being killed

his job is to PROTECT and Serve....not hide outside while kids are being killed

Thats true, and he is a coward in every sense of the word. But being a coward is not illegal, even if its a police officer. These charges are made up to appease the public for political gain. While it may seem justified in your mind, what else will politicians criminalize for political gain in the future? If they can just make up charges out of whole cloth to appease their political base, then none of us are safe.

There is nothing in a police officer's job description that states if he/she fails to rush into a potentially deadly conflict, they could be criminally charged. People are acting as if he certainly would've ended the shooter's rampage, its probably more likely that he'd be just another victim. You might think its his job to commit suicide, but it isn't.

He is certainly a disgrace to the uniform, but he isn't guilty of a crime legally, only morally. He did however fail to execute his job and should've been fired for dereliction of duty and therefor ineligible for that pension. He basically quit his job when the shooting began.

I also believe that teachers who agree to be armed should be armed. They should receive mandatory training annually to keep their carry privileges, and be required to always keep their weapon on their person, so some kid doesn't steal it from their desk or purse. This is the only potential deterrent to school shootings, if the shooter doesn't know whats behind door number 2.