• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers Be Interested in Brandin Cooks? Trade Price Now Out

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in dire need of a wide receiver. They lost three to free agency, and haven’t landed any possible replacements as of yet. They figure to be able to do that in the NFL Draft as the wide receiver class is considered to be very deep. Names like Skyy Moore, Garrett Wilson, and Jameson Williams could be early targets for the Steelers.

One name that has been floating around NFL circles as of late is Brandin Cooks. Cooks quietly put up solid numbers in Houston last season with shaky quarterback play and absolutely zero weapons around him. He pulled in 90 receptions for 1037 yards and 6 touchdowns while starting 16 games. To put those numbers in perspective, the next highest reception total behind Cooks was 33 by Nico Collins. That should tell you just how bad their offense was outside of Cooks.

The Texans are reportedly looking for a 2nd round pick in exchange for Cooks. Interestingly enough Cooks has already been traded THREE times in his career. Nowadays its becoming more common for trades to happen in the NFL, but prior to the last 5-6 years trades weren’t something that filled the off-season news. If there was a trade it would generally be small names that were likely to be released anyway. Every once in awhile a back-up quarterback like Matt Schaub, or Jimmy Garoppolo would get dealt, but not like what we see today.

COOKS TRADE HISTORY​

Trade from Rams to Texans – Cooks and 4th round pick to Texans for a 2nd round pick
Trade from Patriots to Rams – Cooks and 4th round pick to Rams for a 1st round pick
Trade from Saints to Patriots – Cooks and 4th round pick to Patriots for a 1st round pick and 3rd round pick

Brandin Cooks scores against Steelers

Patriots Brandin Cooks, right, celebrates after a 4 yard touchdown reception in the third quarter during the game against the Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday in Pittsburgh. PHOTO Joe Sargent / Getty

Cooks has been very productive every where he’s played. In his 8 NFL season’s he’s surpassed the 1000 yard receiving mark 6 times, and has over 6 touchdowns in 5 of his 8 seasons.

The speed that Cooks has is what should make him very attractive to the Steelers. While he isn’t as fast as he was when he came into the NFL he’s only 28-years old and still has very dynamic speed. Pittsburgh has no one in their wide receiver room that can take the top end off of a defense like Cooks. Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool can both hit a home run, but no one is going to be afraid of their pure speed.

The Texans are still well in the beginning stages of a rebuild, and with Cooks entering the final year of his contract they are likely looking to get some compensation for him while they can. Cooks would carry a salary of 12.5 million that his new team would have to take on, but it’s likely a new contract would be coming to Cooks from his new team.

Cooks Stats vs Steelers​

Cooks has faced the Steelers only two times in his career. He has 8 receptions for 83 yards and 1 touchdown.

While the Texans may be only seeking a second round draft choice for Cooks, it’s unclear on how much that value will go up with multiple teams reportedly interested in Cooks. With seeing the massive hauls that Tyreek Hill, and Devante Adams fetched it’s hard to believe that Cooks’ value is only a second round pick. Then again it’s also strange to see a receiver with his ability be traded 3 times before the age of 28.

While adding Cooks would be a solid move for the Steelers it’s very unlikely to happen because of the money he will likely demand on a new contract. The Steelers will probably focus on paying Johnson this off-season and won’t be able to afford two high end receivers with the price of receivers soaring through the roof recently.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

pass on cooks on that salary and a 2nd round pick. There's enough talent in this draft that you can get his speed and hands with the same pick and a lot less salary.

If I could adjust his salary I'd offer a third. If they didn't take it I wouldn't lose sleep.

The one year rental turns me off as well as the multiple trades.

Wrs are just getting too expensive you have to draft them then let them go if you’re smart you trade them like… i don’t see us trading for anyone significant I don’t see us resigning johnson either so they have work to do at wr. claypool, Harris, and Muth just going to have to come through with ever who we draft with johnson being phased out. im stoked I don’t see any problem with that scenario.

The 2nd round picks this year at WR are already better than Cooks.
That might be true but one thing severely lacking in the WR room and on the offense in general is some veteran leadership. Pretty scary that Anthony Miller is the most experienced WR on this roster right now. Ebron has 8 years in the league and Trai turner and Derrek Watt have 6 years in the league. thats the extent of "vets" currently on the Steelers roster on offense (unless i missed someone).

I am by no means saying Cooks is the be all end all answer. But some Vets on the Offense wouldn't be a bad thing.

That might be true but one thing severely lacking in the WR room and on the offense in general is some veteran leadership. Pretty scary that Anthony Miller is the most experienced WR on this roster right now. Ebron has 8 years in the league and Trai turner and Derrek Watt have 6 years in the league. thats the extent of "vets" currently on the Steelers roster on offense (unless i missed someone).

I am by no means saying Cooks is the be all end all answer. But some Vets on the Offense wouldn't be a bad thing.
I'm all for bringing a vet, a FA one that is, cole beasley is available, so is watkins, t y. Hilton, aj Green, and a few more that won't command a high pick and over 10M

I'm all for bringing a vet, a FA one that is, cole beasley is available, so is watkins, t y. Hilton, aj Green, and a few more that won't command a high pick and over 10M
Agreed

Cuts will abound after training camp. Wait until then for some veteran depth. Everything else old and overpriced.

Draft WRs in second and fourth rounds. Far better value and this is a good year to be looking for a WR later in the draft.

With the talent and speed available this year, I somehow doubt that Kansas City will lament trading Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins.

To high a cost for what you are getting.

Salute the nation

To high a cost for what you are getting.

Salute the nation