• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should The Steelers Bring Back Cam Sutton?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This 2021 offseason is looking to be a busy one for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mostly because the Steelers are going to be trying to retain pieces of last year’s 12-4 football team in hopes of repeating a lot of the same success. They’ve also been mentioned as possible landing spots for a few free agents. Exciting, yes, but also stressful especially being in the Salary Cap situation this team is in. We expect the team to part ways with last year’s starting running back James Conner due to his performance the past two seasons, while Ben Roethlisberger has been vocal about wanting to return to the team (the two sides have yet to meet and the future is still up in the air). Adding to this, stars like, Bud Dupree, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mike Hilton all have questionable futures with the team. These players will most likely carry top priority for the Steelers.

One guy missing from that list is cornerback Cam Sutton. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2017 NFL Draft by Pittsburgh, struggled for playing time in his first season, then garnered some playing time in his sophomore year — and hasn’t looked back since. I think Sutton is one of the most underrated guys on one of the top defenses in football, which kind of says a lot in itself. Yes, the secondary in the past hasn’t been flawless, but it seems like Sutton has been one of those guys that clearly makes an impact when he is on the field.

Sutton hasn’t been one to fill up the stat sheet in his previous seasons. While playing in a total of 52 NFL games, Sutton has only gotten the opportunity to start in 8 of them, but has managed to make an impact each time he’s gotten a chance. Although he’s shown that he has good pass coverage skills, Sutton really shines in his ability to tackle the ball carrier. He only has 3 total interceptions with 73 combined total tackles in his short 4-year career, but is coming off his best season yet in 2020. While starting in just 6 of the 16 games, Sutton got playing time in all 16 of them where he intercepted one pass, and had a total of 30 combined tackles.

His role I guess could be described as the plug in guy if you will. Sutton has the ability to compete with the guys on the outside but also has shown the ability to play a strong nickel back for this team as well. The reason why I use the term plug in guy, is because he has the ability to play every position that his group requires, and he did just that in 2020. Sutton filled the starting CB role when starter Joe Haden went down later in the season, as well as taking over the nickel back position when Hilton missed a good chunk of games during the middle of last season. The defense was missing their playmakers at that time, don’t get me wrong, but this defense really didn’t skip a beat with Sutton out there. This can’t be solely placed on his shoulders, the defense is filled with playmakers and that in turn helps everyone around them out. But when a guy steps up and fills these roles as well as he did, he gains some respect.

I’m not saying that Sutton should garner top priority this offseason, but I do think that the Steelers should give it some serious thought. Steven Nelson had a great first year as a Steeler, but didn’t seem to keep up that same type of production in 2020, and while he didn’t play bad at all, he might have just not met up to most expectations. We aren’t getting any younger at the position and we have been known to be very deep at that position. All I’m saying is that if you end up having the opportunity to sign Sutton back this offseason, I don’t think it would be one that the Steelers regret, especially with a guy who has that much upside.

Do you think Pittsburgh should consider bringing back Cam Sutton? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I would like both Sutton and Hilton if absolutely possible. I think Cam is in our future to replace one of the current CBs in the not to distant future.

Great read, thabks

Salute the nation

unless they can get William Jackson III they need Sutton and/or Hilton back

Keenan Lewis but he got one from NO lol
Exactly but like Sutton, he started to shine in the last year and a half. I'm guessing he's the primary resign, we're not going to resign Dupree or JuJu. Wondering how much they offer

Not to mention Lewis wanted to return home. We need young CBs, they need to give him a fat guaranteed contract. 38 million for 4 years,

For me Sutton tops the bring back list due to his positional flexibility. We use him schematically in so many variety of ways I doubt you easily replace that.
Exactly but like Sutton, he started to shine in the last year and a half. I'm guessing he's the primary resign, we're not going to resign Dupree or JuJu. Wondering how much they offer

So, the question is do we keep Joe Haden? I'd keep Sutton for a back loaded contract and let Haden go. I think the dead cap for releasing him is 3 million but it saves us 12.6 I think. Just a thought. Everyone is talking about how to clear some cap space and hold onto some of our free agents, Id start here. If Haden wants to renegotiate they should listen but he's in the last year of his contract and clipping 13 million is something to think about.

James Pierre may be a factor in what they ultimately decide to do with Haden and Sutton. Apparently, they like Pierre and his upside a lot. If they feel strongly in his ability and development, they could be more willing to part with Haden or Sutton, but regardless, I'm confident one of them will be with the Steelers in 2021.

It's either Hilton or Sutton. I'd probably go with Sutton especially since I think either Haden or Nelson will be a cap casualty. I've heard both mentioned as possibilities.

Sutton is probably the No 1 FA on Colbert’s list (aside from Bud...which isn’t happening unless Ben retires). Keeping Hilton would be awesome, but he will be offered a $7 mil/year contract by a team with flush cap space. I’d extend Haden. Yeah he’s 32, but he was balling all last year. Still has gas in the tank. Layne needs to step up and show more. Pierre we have for another 3 years exclusively. So if he pans out, that’s a bonus and probably Nelson’s replacement

For me Sutton tops the bring back list due to his positional flexibility. We use him schematically in so many variety of ways I doubt you easily replace that.
Yep, exactly! Sutton for his flexibility and he’s only going to get better and I’d want Mike Hilton too.

for Depth because he is ahead of Justin Layne who still very raw, I want Haden back, I am sure he is willing to take less if they cut him to sign Sherman who would be a perfect mentor for a press CB like Layne to learn from. Sutton has decent speed Haden is not very fast but is very crafty I think there is a less than 25 percent chance had he not gotten hurt in the Wash game we win that.

hope both are willing to take cap friendly deals him and Hilton

definitely, gotta find a way to keep Sutton in Black & Gold

for Depth because he is ahead of Justin Layne who still very raw, I want Haden back, I am sure he is willing to take less if they cut him to sign Sherman who would be a perfect mentor for a press CB like Layne to learn from. Sutton has decent speed Haden is not very fast but is very crafty I think there is a less than 25 percent chance had he not gotten hurt in the Wash game we win that.
Layne is bordering on bust. This will be a very big camp for him.

I agree with slash, LAYNE needs to step up big this TC but we can't wait and see if that happens or not. We need depth and Haden getting restructured instead of outright cut would be a helpful thing. His cap hit is to high so I'm sure he is on the FO radar of "cut cap somehow".

Salute the nation

Sutton should be a must keep. I have no idea what they can do with the cap limitations this next season.

So, the question is do we keep Joe Haden? I'd keep Sutton for a back loaded contract and let Haden go. I think the dead cap for releasing him is 3 million but it saves us 12.6 I think. Just a thought. Everyone is talking about how to clear some cap space and hold onto some of our free agents, Id start here. If Haden wants to renegotiate they should listen but he's in the last year of his contract and clipping 13 million is something to think about.
I can't see us keeping both Haden and Nelson. wouldn't be surprised if we extend Nelson to lower his hit and let Haden walk.

extend haden and keep Sutton, draft someone like DJ Daniel to replace the type work Hilton did