• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Smashmouth Football in 2023?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Is Mike Tomlin channeling his inner Bill Cowher?

They added another interior starter and are looking at a lot of massive tackles. He also commented he was comfortable with the offensive line, but it feels like they're going to add one of the big tackles (B. Jones, D. Jones, D. Wright, etc.) with one of the first three picks. This is old-school football and you pair a great defense with a good ground game. Given the transparency the Steelers always display with the draft process, it does look like it could be an offensive tackle (probably right tackle, I think they like Moore), with one of the first three picks and then load up on defense.

That would still leave the offense with a relative inability to create splash plays. Pickens is really the only guy on the roster who can scare a defense and produce big plays on a relatively consistent basis. No matter the strategy, teams still need to put up a lot of points to seriously contend and even a beefed up offensive line and a stronger run game won't put this team in position to do so with their current slate of playmakers.

a stronger running game will open up the passing games

windows should open for shots to Freiermuth and Pickens. DJ needs to reduce the drops and start making some splash plays

ball control, keep the ball away from the other teams offense and this team could be very successful

plus after drafting Tank Dell to play the slot they will have plenty of splash plays

a stronger running game will open up the passing games

windows should open for shots to Freiermuth and Pickens. DJ needs to reduce the drops and start making some splash plays

ball control, keep the ball away from the other teams offense and this team could be very successful

plus after drafting Tank Dell to play the slot they will have plenty of splash plays
DJ isn't good after the catch and Canada doesn't scheme opportunities for YAC. Pickens has a limited route tree right now, but can stretch the field. Freiermuth is more of a chainmover with the occasional splash play. Adding a weapon for the slot, now you're talking.

Someone help me out here. Tomlins quote "We won't be moving forward."

What is that supposed to mean?

I think running it through the Tomlin translator, he was trying to say tgey wont be bashful about using the running game going forward… he just forgot to include a few more ten dollar words to make his meaning more “obvious”

Someone help me out here. Tomlins quote "We won't be moving forward."

What is that supposed to mean?

Just what it says,

“ our place in the league is somewhat settled and has cause of non-advancement in that department. We are the only team coached by a non-losing season coach and I can easily verify that fact. If your want is pop-corn, you will have to make it yourself as my players no longer have that skill with-in their pedigree. We can provide the butter but that is as far as the neck will stretch,”I

AP statement: I hope this helps you in your security, read it just before bedtime, but after you have been tucked in.

Salute the nation

I think running it through the Tomlin translator, he was trying to say tgey wont be bashful about using the running game going forward… he just forgot to include a few more ten dollar words to make his meaning more “obvious”
Just what it says,

“ our place in the league is somewhat settled and has cause of non-advancement in that department. We are the only team coached by a non-losing season coach and I can easily verify that fact. If your want is pop-corn, you will have to make it yourself as my players no longer have that skill with-in their pedigree. We can provide the butter but that is as far as the neck will stretch,”I

AP statement: I hope this helps you in your security, read it just before bedtime, but after you have been tucked in.

Salute the nation

I think I've figured it out gentlemen!

What Tomlin exhibited is what is known as a "Freudian Slip"!

A Freudian Slip is an accidental word or thought expressed from your subconscious revealing opposite feelings about the matter.

Although Tomlin vocally expressed his desire for a sound running game, he knows deep inside it aint happening because he knows he ****** up by not firing Matt Cananda!

Last edited:
Ahhh physicality is A contagious standard. Getting that identity back and the culture that goes with it. Yes please. All within the rules of engagement. Which means teaching fundamental technique.

I've been hoping this would occur over the past decade. Here's to that vision coming true.

There should've been a comma between "be" and "moving"
So, you're saying that the fault lies with Farabaugh's written interpretation of what Tomlin said, rather than what Tomlin actually said?
I thought it was more along the lines of some posters look for even the most minuscule things to ***** about when it comes to Tomlin.
Guess I was wrong. Obviously.

There should've been a comma between "be" and "moving"
That's it!
Even a period would work there.

So it doesn't imply...

"I think a sound running game aids quarterbacks, particularly young quarterbacks. I don’t think we’re bashful about our intentions there. And we won’t be moving forward because of Matt Canada."

..after all.

Last edited:
Exactly. He always wants to speak in this serious impact full way. And a lot of times you go.....wtf was that.

That's odd. Sauce Gardner said CAIII was the hardest receiver he ever covered in college.
well in the American Conference championship game in 2021 Dell went for 9 catches 152 yards and 1 TD

cincy did not play memhis or UH in the regular season that year

CA 3 is going to keep TANK Dell off our roster, due to similar body type and skills.

TANK will end up in a place that can actually use him for his skill set. Hopefully he can show-case his talents in the NFL.

Salute the nation

Would be nice to see this team getting back to pushing teams around.
If you had to pick one picture to symbolize that, I'd pick this one.

standing-there.jpg

If you had to pick one picture to symbolize that, I'd pick this one.

standing-there.jpg

JuJu and Burfdefect would be another offensive play, but where the hell are our defensive ***-kicking photos............ ?

It's like having your little sister stand up for you in "dodgeball".

Salute the nation

CA 3 is going to keep TANK Dell off our roster, due to similar body type and skills.

TANK will end up in a place that can actually use him for his skill set. Hopefully he can show-case his talents in the NFL.

Salute the nation
don't be pissing on my dream with reasonable opinions

TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK

don't be pissing on my dream with reasonable opinions

TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK

Sorry Coolie, no PEE intended. I’m rooting for the young man as well!!!!

Salute the nation