• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Some positive to build on.........................................

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good piece Drink! Now, if they can finish those drives with TD’s we’re in business.
We shall see what Mr.Canada has in store for season 2023. He better have lots more in his bag of tricks or playbook than he has shown or this will be a huge mistake retaining him for Kenny’s second season.
I do wish they would bring in someone to assist Canada, another set of eyes. Good read!

Good piece Drink! Now, if they can finish those drives with TD’s we’re in business.
We shall see what Mr.Canada has in store for season 2023. He better have lots more in his bag of tricks or playbook than he has shown or this will be a huge mistake retaining him for Kenny’s second season.
I do wish they would bring in someone to assist Canada, another set of eyes. Good read!

I fully agree on the finish those drives with scoring. OL / Trench workers and I see us powering into the endzone more frequently.

OH, add in a more diversified route tree too.

Salute the nation

What you talking about Willis ???

Salute the nation

Apparently there is this ingenious thing some teams are doing, where if the route you have planned to run is going to have the timing thrown off by how the defense lines up, you can adjust your route to counter what the defense is doing! It’s really quite an amazing little piece of gamesmanship. These wacky coordinators…..always scheming things up.

Apparently there is this ingenious thing some teams are doing, where if the route you have planned to run is going to have the timing thrown off by how the defense lines up, you can adjust your route to counter what the defense is doing! It’s really quite an amazing little piece of gamesmanship. These wacky coordinators…..always scheming things up.

I’ve said it before, by NOT allowing Ben ROETHLISBERGER to call audibles for the first 4-5 games, told me all I need to kn ow about this OC and HC.

You as well know that nothing will surprise us when it comes to the vacuum above the neck exhibited by the OC / HC.

Salute the nation

I think the LG, Moore can become a decent LT with the correct help next to him but if we can draft both a LT and a LG I'd be ecstatic. I'd move Moore to RT next season and cut Chuks
I'm with you. If there was an athletic IOL available, that would be my target in the first. Then again, I grew up watching Dawson, Faneca, Hartings, Pouncey, and DeCastro, so I really appreciate athletic interior linemen.

In your opinion, which is more needed, a pulling LG or a rock solid LT ?

Salute the nation
For me they are both needed. If all things are equal at 17 I would go with the T as a good LT isn't such an easy find. Plus that would benefit the passing game in keeping Kenny upright. Not that a pulling G isn't attractive that would help the running game out. But with the QB more important than the RB, I am staying with LT for my selection.

The draft looks like value will be there at 1.17 for LT but not for LG. Still I'd go CB first in this specific draft and then at 1.32 BPA between LT/LG.

Also I think skoronski can play both positions at top level so if you want someone that can give you that versatility he's the man. Then in the 2nd or 3rd you can get the other OL player knowing you have that joker card. You are not attached to a specific position but can get OL BPA and move skoronski as needed. If he's there at 1.17 I'd be happy they take him

For me they are both needed. If all things are equal at 17 I would go with the T as a good LT isn't such an easy find. Plus that would benefit the passing game in keeping Kenny upright. Not that a pulling G isn't attractive that would help the running game out. But with the QB more important than the RB, I am staying with LT for my selection.

I’m advocating for a solid, play me at LT first because that is my position, draftee. Versatility is great, but depth players are what that is for. A full fledged dedicated left tackle.

I’m not saying a versatile LT can’t do the job, because the right diversified player can. I’m just saying we need a LT and a good one. TRENCH worker is a priority.

Salute the nation

The draft looks like value will be there at 1.17 for LT but not for LG. Still I'd go CB first in this specific draft and then at 1.32 BPA between LT/LG.

Also I think skoronski can play both positions at top level so if you want someone that can give you that versatility he's the man. Then in the 2nd or 3rd you can get the other OL player knowing you have that joker card. You are not attached to a specific position but can get OL BPA and move skoronski as needed. If he's there at 1.17 I'd be happy they take him

TOTALLY hear what you are saying Litos.

Some here said that Dan Moore would work better as a guard, less space. If that would be the case then High end LT is the way, in my opinion.

Salute the nation

CB is interesting in this draft because it'll depend on who you like. I personally think Gonzalez is the top prospect and one you get passed the top two there isn't much of a drop off with the next grouping, leaving a good option there at 2.32.

CB is interesting in this draft because it'll depend on who you like. I personally think Gonzalez is the top prospect and one you get passed the top two there isn't much of a drop off with the next grouping, leaving a good option there at 2.32.
Gonzalez, Cam, and Spoon. I like these three. But what I like about Gonz is his recovery speed and those arm/leg measures. If he gets in trouble his long stride, speed should help recover. Guy has good instincts too. He is just starting to put his ability together. I think he has the highest ceiling for corners in this draft.

Gonzalez, Cam, and Spoon. I like these three. But what I like about Gonz is his recovery speed and those arm/leg measures. If he gets in trouble his long stride, speed should help recover. Guy has good instincts too. He is just starting to put his ability together. I think he has the highest ceiling for corners in this draft.
I agree and the rest of the NFL probably does too, lol. Witherspoon feels like more of a Steelers-type pick, though. I still think the team avoids a corner early if Sutton, Witherspoon, and Wallace all return.

I agree and the rest of the NFL probably does too, lol. Witherspoon feels like more of a Steelers-type pick, though. I still think the team avoids a corner early if Sutton, Witherspoon, and Wallace all return.
I think Witherspoon is on the out. Trimming that tree.

They very rarely went three and out. The whole problem to my eye was that they didn't hit much downfield in. Scoring from outside the 20 and they had no identity inside the 10. They couldn't power run, they had no good rub plays to pass. Sometimes you would see a guy clearly singled and I sat there and screemed just cross his damn face on a slant. Literally never.

A pulling LG would do wonders for this team
i like the enthusiasm and positive spirit from you guys. But i think this won't really matter.

They already got James Daniels and, and, and Kendrick Green on the team! Those two are some of the quickest OL MFers in the whole league. What kind of plays do they call? Trap - Alan Faneca seal-blockin. i tell ya Dotson, Daniels. Especially Green: they dont have enough *** nor enough leverage to get that done.
Without a competent call that matches your player's skillset... you're toast.

Checkout how you competently flip the script with calls. i think it's called, STRATEGERY. lol

Article talks about the 1 offensive stat the STEELERS lead the league in, surprising as it is.

I hope the trend continues

Short read but good thing to know.

Salute the nation
Good article

It seems the more prolific offenses buy into splash plays getting chunks of yardage as they realize the more plays one runs in a drive the greater the chance for errors/miscues.

We lack splash/chunk/explosive plays and the points that come with.

This type of possession offense is just a conservative extension of Tomlin trying to prop his vaunted D up more by keeping them off the field…obviously pure genius.

If we are to continue down this path of putrid yards per play they should buy fully in and go grab Brissett as the backup QB.
Keep super conservative except ya have to go for it every 4th and short…if it’s real short bring in Brissett for the guarantee 1st down on the sneak.

Nothing else we do on offense seems to have a cohesive strategy so I’m sure they won’t even fully commit to the putrid product they produce and they’ll just keep settling for 10 play 0 or 3 point drives

Winning Can-Lin-a-duh style

Canada is almost immaterial now the offense is loaded I’ll be shocked if Steelers don’t get off to a good start in ‘23. stud running back looking to breakout, young offensive line that looked to have “jelled” all coming back, future star qb and wr looking to break out, and johnson and muth young vets ready to go all-pro. Draft and sign some defensive personnel, Simmons out of Clemson, sign Payne from Washington this team should rip regardless of the coaches… but we’ll be back here next year still arguing about the coaches, is see them blowing it in the playoffs. If this tesm doesn’t make playoffs then we be back arguing over who gets fired, but personnel this team is setting up nicely.

Canada is almost immaterial now the offense is loaded I’ll be shocked if Steelers don’t get off to a good start in ‘23. stud running back looking to breakout, young offensive line that looked to have “jelled” all coming back, future star qb and wr looking to break out, and johnson and muth young vets ready to go all-pro. Draft and sign some defensive personnel, Simmons out of Clemson, sign Payne from Washington this team should rip regardless of the coaches… but we’ll be back here next year still arguing about the coaches, is see them blowing it in the playoffs. If this tesm doesn’t make playoffs then we be back arguing over who gets fired, but personnel this team is setting up nicely.
Payne is out of our cap possibility. You already hace Cam with a +20M cap hit and you are getting another one of those contracts? Not a chance

You got any more of that kool aid?

•Don’t underestimate Tomlin/Canada brain trust ability to cripple an offense
•A little early to call Jaylen Warren “stud running back looking to breakout” surely you weren’t talking about the first rounder
that can’t even get a 4.0 avg per attempt
•The OL is still a huge question mark, they did improve but I guarantee we don’t get through all 17 games with starting 5 starting every game again…that type of injury luck doesn’t happen two years in a row
•Let’s let KP get more TDs than INTs before we call him a “future star”. Hope your right but a bit early to anoint him a “future star”
•Yeah our skill players DJ, Pickens and Muth are decent but are they good enough to be a top 5 or even top 10 in the league to overcome all the other deficiencies?

Newsflash this team as constructed has very little chance of winning a single
Playoff game much less the 3-4 necessary for a truly memorable season…so yes after another dangerously average middle of the pack season next year the pitch fork crew will be out in force calling for change yet again. Change we all know ain’t coming.

Chalk up that 9-8 next year rinse and repeat…the standard known as the Steeler spin cycle continues.