• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: Steelers Offensive Line Post Week 1 of Free Agency

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It’s been a little over a week since the NFL’s free agency tampering and subsequent full blown frenzy began. This may very well be one of the most exciting we’ve seen in a long time. For Pittsburgh Steelers’ fans, it’s normally not as exciting as it can be for fans of other teams, but this year was different. We witnessed easily the most active and aggressive Pittsburgh has ever been on the free agent market. The team spent the most they ever have in free agency just in the first week alone.

One of Pittsburgh’s biggest holes to fill going into the off-season was the offensive line. Last year we saw as they struggled to open up holes for Najee Harris, and to keep Ben Roethlisberger upright. There was a lot of flux, but overall, it was a tough year for the offensive line in the black and gold. The interior line was particularly tough, with rookie center Kendrick Green transitioning not only to the league, but a new position, switching from guard to center. Kevin Dotson struggled with injuries and ended up missing the latter half of the season after suffering a high ankle sprain against the Detroit Lions, and veteran addition Trai Turner had one good moment for every three bad it seemed.

The front office noticed this too, because they added two new interior linemen this off-season. They signed free agents James Daniels and Mason Cole both to three-year deals. They immediately boost this group for the interior. Both have starting experience at guard and center. Daniels was ranked 18th out of the top 100 free agents going into the off-season by ESPN. Cole has 39 starts under his belt, and according to PFF was the 12th best run blocking center in 2021 and 13th overall. Green was 34th. Daniels is also familiar with new quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, whom he blocked for while they were both playing for the Chicago Bears for three out of Trubisky’s four seasons. This bodes well for Daniels as the pair are likely to be excited to play with each other again, and already have a feel for each other’s playing styles. With all this in mind, the question remains, who will be starting and who’s sitting for this offensive line?

Let’s get the obvious ones out of the way.

As of right now, both tackle spots are spoken for. Chukwuma Okorafor just signed a three-year contract. Dan Moore Jr. held down the left tackle spot as a rookie all year last season and had a lot of promising moments. Barring a high draft pick or a signing in the coming week, these two should again man the starting left and right tackle spot.

Now, the interior is where it gets tricky. There are five guys in the mix and only three can start. I believe right off the bat, Daniels is a guaranteed starter. He has all the makings of a future Pro Bowler, and he’s potentially Pittsburgh’s best acquisition of free agency so far. He has All-Pro potential written all over him, and I believe he gets the starting left guard spot. As for the right guard, I believe Dotson will switch over to that spot, his natural position, and get a shot to stay healthy and show what he can do. He had a very promising 2020 as a rookie, and was arguably the best lineman on the team up until he got injured Week 10. I believe the coaching staff will name him the starter and give him this chance.

The center position is the one I go back and forth on. If we’re being realistic however, there is no real debate here. Cole should, and I believe will, get the starting spot. Green just isn’t experienced enough at center, and the numbers favor Cole, as well as the tape. Unless Green improves leaps and bounds, I believe he will be a backup to Cole, and also be able to be available for both guard spots as well. He and JC Hassenauer will be the swing backups the team always praises and loves to have on board.

So from left to right, I believe it will be Moore, Daniels, Cole, Dotson, and Okorafor. This is a big upgrade from a year ago, especially on the interior. I believe we will see even more explosiveness from Harris, and as for Trubisky, he definitely has a better line than Roethlisberger did a year ago. Camp will be a big factor to see how they mesh, but as of right now, I believe that is this team’s best front five they can trot out, and it’s a darn sight nicer than that of last season. With them manning the trenches, I expect big holes to be opened and pancakes to be served come September.

Who do you feel the starting five upfront should be, Steeler Nation? This five? A different combination? Let us in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Agreed. We definitely upgraded the interior of the OL. My fear is still Chuks...
Yep. EXACTLY, Berm.
I want OT and DL in our early draft.

When you see a guy like Armstead go for $15M a year it’s curious why we didn’t pony up a few more millions dollars and go for someone like him over Chuks

What the Chuk?!?! Hopefully he improves and shocks us all

Read an article the other day (probably the PG) that had Cole at C, Green at G, and Dotson as the swingman. It said Dotson has not improved as had been hoped.

Daniels dominated at RT for the Bears, who moved him around before letting him settle in at RG last season. He stays at RG, Dotson plays LG, Cole should take over at C. However, Tomlin's history shows he will play a draft pick until the dude gets somebody killed before sitting him so Green still at C, unfortunately.

I would much prefer Green at LG, Cole at C and Daniels at RG. Keep hearing about how much better Green would do at G. Okay, let's see it.

take the penn st OY in the 3rd to play RT to challange Chukes
Moore Dotson Cole Green Daniels

Read an article the other day (probably the PG) that had Cole at C, Green at G, and Dotson as the swingman. It said Dotson has not improved as had been hoped.
I know they aren't going in this direction, but I'd be quite happy if they took Zion Johnson and had Johnson at LG, Cole at C, and Daniels at RG. That's two potential studs on the interior.