• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation Writers Pick Their Favorite Steelers of All-Time

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a storied history and are recognized as one of the most respected organizations in all of sports. Six Super Bowls, eighteen (soon to be twenty) Hall of Famers and a legacy left behind by Dan Rooney are all components of the franchise. Certainly, over the years, fans have developed personal favorites. This got me thinking to ask several members of the Steeler Nation team who their favorite Steeler of all-time is. Some answers were predictable. Some, not so much.

Sean McGeown, CJ Lester, and Brandon Wallace started things off by choosing a future Hall of Famer who is beloved in Pittsburgh.

Troy Polamalu

McGeown’s reasoning: “His instincts and leadership were one of a kind and his playmaking speaks for itself. Jumping the line of scrimmage and making the wildest interceptions. There was nothing like it. The pick-6 in the 2008 AFC Championship Game will always be one of the best moments in Steelers history. Aside from that, his humility on and off the field are also what sets him apart from many. He is truly one of a kind and a Pittsburgh and NFL legend forever.”

Lester’s analysis: “Watching him make plays instinctively made me love the game. He was the reason an offensive lineman like me always wanted to line up at safety during backyard football games. He made me view football as an art, not just a game.”

Wallace’s reasoning: “I just remember being so enamored by his style of play. As a young defensive back myself, I wanted to impact the game the same way he did. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2015 and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. He’s the best to ever do it!”

G Stryker was on the same wavelength as McGeown and Lester, but went with a different defensive workhorse.

Rod Woodson

Stryker’s analysis: “Woodson was electric as a pass defender, tackler and ball hawk. He played all three phases at the highest level; offense, defense and return game. He might be the most athletic player to ever put on a Steelers jersey.

Hopping on the defensive back train was Matt Papiernik, but with one of the hardest hitting defensive players Pittsburgh has ever seen.

Ryan Clark

Papiernik’s analysis: “Clark was the unsung hero of those dominate defenses as well as the perfect compliment to Polamalu. He was one of the hardest hitters I have ever seen and played the game the way it was meant to be played.”

Switching to the offensive side of the ball, Bill Washinski and Jobe Morrison agreed that a backfield workhorse is their favorite Steeler ever.

Jerome Bettis

Washinski’s analysis: “He was the real reason behind the offenses of ’97, ’01 and ’04. He was the heart and soul behind the ’04-’05 squads and they rallied around him. He told Willie Parker what to look for right before his 75-yard TD run in Super Bowl XL. By slimmest of margins behind Ben Roethilisberger, the Bus is my favorite.”

Morrison’s analysis: “Bettis was a Steeler through and through. He was an icon and is a legend. Most importantly, he was the ultimate leader.”

Zach Herbaugh and myself were all in on an offensive weapon who always had a smile on his face.

Hines Ward

My reasoning: Ward was unlike any receiver I have ever seen play for the Steelers. He was tough, tenacious and left everything on the field every single time he played. He was the guy who everyone outside of Pittsburgh hated and that was what made me love him even more. His constant enthusiasm and energy was contagious and I will always be grateful to have had the opportunity to watch him play as a Steeler and win two Super Bowls. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame!

Herbaugh fell in love with how hard Ward played the game.

Herbaugh’s reasoning: “He never took a play off and blocked as hard on a run play as he ran a route on a pass play. He emulated what it meant to be a Steeler and was rewarded with two Super Bowls.”

Justin McGonigle stayed within the wide receiver position, but his favorite player to ever wear the black and gold may surprise you.

Yancey Thigpen

McGonigle’s analysis: “He was one of the first players I remembered. I couldn’t say his name so I called him Pigpen. I wore #82 in high school because of him.”

Ben Michaelian went with the most surprising favorite Steeler of all-time choosing a guy who won the Steelers many games in the final seconds.

Jeff Reed

Michaelian’s analysis: “Reed was a consistent and reliable kicker for eight years. Not a lot of fans know this, but he is the second highest Steeler scorer in history. He was so fun to watch and still has the biggest thighs in Pittsburgh.”

Who is your favorite Steeler of all-time? Not an easy question to answer, but let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Sooo...this place is being run by Millennials? :LOL:

I was VERY young when the Steelers won their 70's Super Bowls, But Jack Lambert and Joe Green...they made me fall in love with football. They started a youth league, and in the 80's that wasn't as common as today. When my parents deliberated and broke the news to me that they would allow me play, I broke down and cried happy tears. As an 8 year old, I was a cross between Jack Lambert and Mark Gastineau. I played mean and did a dance after ever sack. lol.

Hines, Bussy, and Troy were equally as awesome, but lets not forget just how great our older players were as well.

Mean Joe gets my favorite pick as he was just purely dominate. My favorites come off of great performances. From Lambert to Hines to the Bus sprinkle in the flyin Hawaiian. Big Ben gets a mention as does Franco , Swann and Stallworth, Blount, Kevin Greene, Peezy, Ham, and not to forget the newbie TJ Watt.

If they wore BLACK & GOLD then they were my favorite.

slash has a great list but I'd add

Norm Johnson for his play on the field, physical square up and plant yaz open field tackles.

Jeff Reed for his OFF field of play, physical but used a lot of right hooks on paper towel dispensers

REALITY for me is there are to many to list as the STEELERS Franchise has so many, HOF is testimate to that (imagine if they actually put the rest of them in who desrve it).

Salute the nation

So many great players over the years. I started watching and following in 1972 as an 8 year old. The whole defense and offenses of the 70's were amazing. The core stayed together and was a one of a kind dynasty. You have so many players to pick from, Mean Joe, Lambert, Blount, Ham, Bradshaw, Franco, Swann and Stallworth. The 80's and 90's had their far share of great players, Woodson, Lipps, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Lake and so many more. Then The Bus, Troy, Ben, Hines and now TJ, Minkah, Juju. I'm sure I missed some but my all-time favorite is Jack Lambert.

I've told this story before about Ryan Clark...

I went to grade school and high school with a guy I'd never spoken a word to. We were never in any classes together, but knew who each other was. Facebook rolls around and we're Facebook friends. Not a big deal, happens to many people.

I'm sitting at home and scrolling Facebook. I see a picture of him in a hospital bed. I read that he'd had a MRI and that revealed a brain tumor. He was scheduled for surgery very soon. I wish him the best, and go to scroll on. Then I see a bandana in the bottom corner of the picture. Has three significant hypocycloids on it. I scroll through some of his pictures, and he's a Steelers fan.

For some reason, I hit Twitter. I messaged as many of the players as I could, hoping one would respond. Never expected any, really, though.

Then I get a message from Ryan Clark. He asked for Jason's phone number. I scramble. I message guys we were mutual friends with. Finally get his wife's cell phone number. I send that to Ryan.

Ryan calls Jason. Not someone else. Ryan, his own damn self. Jason told me they talked for 10-15 minutes and Ryan prayed with Jason for a good outcome for his pending surgery. I'm not religious, but the fact that Ryan connected with him on that level is pretty awesome to me.

I'm stopping the story here, since this is about Ryan. He showed he's passionate for the Steelers fans. Showed that he's a good guy as he reached out to someone he doesnt know and never would know. Just to take time out of his day to do that... he's my favorite Steeler.

I've told this story before about Ryan Clark...

I went to grade school and high school with a guy I'd never spoken a word to. We were never in any classes together, but knew who each other was. Facebook rolls around and we're Facebook friends. Not a big deal, happens to many people.

I'm sitting at home and scrolling Facebook. I see a picture of him in a hospital bed. I read that he'd had a MRI and that revealed a brain tumor. He was scheduled for surgery very soon. I wish him the best, and go to scroll on. Then I see a bandana in the bottom corner of the picture. Has three significant hypocycloids on it. I scroll through some of his pictures, and he's a Steelers fan.

For some reason, I hit Twitter. I messaged as many of the players as I could, hoping one would respond. Never expected any, really, though.

Then I get a message from Ryan Clark. He asked for Jason's phone number. I scramble. I message guys we were mutual friends with. Finally get his wife's cell phone number. I send that to Ryan.

Ryan calls Jason. Not someone else. Ryan, his own damn self. Jason told me they talked for 10-15 minutes and Ryan prayed with Jason for a good outcome for his pending surgery. I'm not religious, but the fact that Ryan connected with him on that level is pretty awesome to me.

I'm stopping the story here, since this is about Ryan. He showed he's passionate for the Steelers fans. Showed that he's a good guy as he reached out to someone he doesnt know and never would know. Just to take time out of his day to do that... he's my favorite Steeler.
Ryan was always the player who would stick around training camp for long periods of time signing signatures. A good man that perhaps doesn't get the overall recognition that he should.

Sooo...this place is being run by Millennials? :LOL:

I was VERY young when the Steelers won their 70's Super Bowls, But Jack Lambert and Joe Green...they made me fall in love with football. They started a youth league, and in the 80's that wasn't as common as today. When my parents deliberated and broke the news to me that they would allow me play, I broke down and cried happy tears. As an 8 year old, I was a cross between Jack Lambert and Mark Gastineau. I played mean and did a dance after ever sack. lol.

Hines, Bussy, and Troy were equally as awesome, but lets not forget just how great our older players were as well.
Kids today don't know how tough those old ******** were. Lambert and Greene were my favorites growing up. Ham, Holmes Shell, Blount, Greenwood are all still among my favorites

Kids today don't know how tough those old ******** were. Lambert and Green were my favorites growing up. Ham, Holmes Shell, Blount, Greenwood are all still among my favorites

Automatic disqualification.

iu

Nobody picking Lloyd? I guess avoid Lloyd still has merit....

You might not have read my post #4, I did............. that is if he wore BLACK & GOLD.

(sarcasm alert)

Salute the nation

Coolie is one tough ******* as well.

I know, for whatever reason that makes me sick to my stomach, I don't hate Coolie. I just had to razz him on that one.

Last edited:
Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Franco Harris for me. First Steelers jersey I ever owned sent to me by my aunt, who still lived in Pittsburgh. This was 1974, so stores just did not carry stuff from other teams ... or any teams really.

I watched the 1975 Super Bowl, Cliff Harris pats Roy Gerela on the head after a missed field goal. Jack Lambert picks him up like a rag doll and throws him to the ground.

Cowgirl fans to this day whine that Lambert should have been ejected, waaaah!

Steelers get fired up and beat the ****** Cowgirls, whose fans by the way have no problem with the cheap shot to Bradshaw on the 60-yard TD to Swann.

Cowboy fans ... here to try and make us appreciate Ravens fans.

I know, for whatever reason that makes me sick to my stomach, I don't hate Coolie. I just had to razz him on that one.

I hear yaz as he needs to be knocked down off his high, literally high, horse upon occasion. One time he made a bet with Coach and won and every since he has had this abnormally large pineapple on his shoulders.............................................................

Still love him though because he knows his ****.!

Salute the nation

Can’t believe not even an honorable mention by anyone yet... how has no one even considered Iron Mike Webster??? He was the reason I played center growing up, even though I was grossly undersized for the position by high school ball.

One of my favorite Steelers? Chuck Noll.

I doubt we ever talk about the greatness of the Steelers without it's grand architect. Actually everyone involved in scouting,drafting and development of players.

A mediocre laughable team that never accomplished anything transformed into a legendary team by the greatest coach they will ever know.

The Emperor is the man.

I couldn't possibly rank them. The names that would get mentioned the most over the years by non fans when I said the name Steelers? Mean Joe Greene,Jack Lambert,Terry Bradshaw, Rocky Bleier.

Interesting list. I guess favorites certainly don't mean some of the best players to even play for the team. So many greats/HOFer's not on there. I thought for sure I'd see Lambert, Mean Joe, and some others. And, I wouldn't have even considered some that were on the list. But, a favorite player I guess means to each his own and certainly doesn't mean a great player.

Interesting list. I guess favorites certainly don't mean some of the best players to even play for the team. So many greats/HOFer's not on there. I thought for sure I'd see Lambert, Mean Joe, and some others. And, I wouldn't have even considered some that were on the list. But, a favorite player I guess means to each his own and certainly doesn't mean a great player.

That's my exact answer when asked who is your favorite STEELERS player all time. I answer there are to many to pick just one. Even current era players there are to many to chose from, Troy / hampton / TJ / Ben / Ike etc. / ect..

I go with the blanket of if they wore BLACK & GOLD then they were/are my favorite.

Salute the nation

For me woodson is 1. Hines is 2. Lambert is my favorite 70s guy. Lloyd and Harrison are cut from the same mold. Watt is my current favorite.

Loved me some Yancy and Hoge.

My wife loves Heath. That is an excellent choice.

Lambert is my all-time favorite. More recently, it was the Bus. I get fired up when watching Lambert and the Bus just sends chills up and down your spine. He was a Steeler through and through with how he played on the field.