• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation’s 3M’s Monday Mock Drafts 4/4

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mock draft season is upon us as you can’t seem to scroll through any website that covers the NFL without seeing their latest and greatest 2022 NFL Mock Draft.

Each Monday, Steeler Nation will be putting out our 3M’s Mock Drafts by three writers (Mike Stiffler, Matt Papiernik, and Ben Michaelian) who will be rotating through three mock draft simulators. We all coincidentally have a name leading with the letter M, hence the catchy title.

The three simulators we will be rotating through are Pro Football Focus’, Pro Football Network’s, and The Draft Network’s. By doing three different simulators and rotating through them all, it will give everyone a good feel of who will be available and how the Pittsburgh Steelers draft could shake out this April.

Below are the three mock drafts for this week. We started with Mike taking PFF, Ben taking TDN, and I took PFN. Here is a link to last week’s as well.

Here is Mike’s Steeler Nation Mock Draft:​

Steeler Nation Mock Draft

Mike wrote: “IT’S A TRADE! The Pittsburgh Steelers continue their unconventional offseason and decide to trade OUT of the first round with the Atlanta Falcons. In doing so, they get the Falcons 2nd round pick, swap 4th round picks, and get their 2023 1st round pick. The Steelers ultimately decided not to chase the dragon because their quarterback of the future is either already on the roster or they are stocking up for the 2023 QB Class.

With their first 2nd round pick, they select Kyler Gordon out of Washington. Gordon is the “other” cornerback from Washington, but in the long run could be the one to have a better NFL career. His size is not eye popping, when looking at the numbers, but he is very stout for his size. While he may need some work right now, Gordon is primed for a very long successful career. Christian Watson out of North Dakota State goes at pick 52 and he would fit in well as a #3. At 6’4’’ with 4.36 speed, the Steelers can optimize his natural ability similar to Chase Claypool’s rookie year, to help add more of a wrinkle to the offense. Nick Cross out of Maryland has ideal size at safety. Although he is rather tight hipped and lacks great fluidity, he makes up for being the thumper of the defense. An ideal compliment to Minkah Fitzpatrick. Kyren Williams out of Notre Dame may not have top end speed or size, but he is a complete back who should be the best backup we have had since DeAngelo Williams. Jayden Peevy out of Texas A&M is a 50/50 player. Sometimes he showed flashes of true ability, other times he looked sluggish. The Steelers will hope he learns from the likes of Cam Heyward to get a more consistent player. Logan Bruss out of Wisconsin can play both guard and tackle. He would be a long shot to make the roster but could become the Steelers last lineman given his versatility. Connor Heyward out of Michigan State finishes this group. Outside of being the younger Heyward, he can play both fullback and third tight end, proving to be a cheaper option than Derek Watt.”

Now let’s take a look at Ben’s Steeler Nation Mock Draft:​

B549672C-4D85-4684-9FEA-05CE85C77862.jpeg

Ben wrote: “Starting at 20th overall, I jumped all over Trent McDuffie. McDuffie is one of the top rated cornerbacks in the draft and for good reason. I’ve been high on him for months, and that’s not going to change. I’d love to see him in Pittsburgh as the next great lock down corner in the AFC. Next, I took a bit of a reach with Isaiah Spiller. Spiller in tandem with Najee Harris could be the next “thunder and lightning” duo threat in the league. Seeing the current running back room, I see the Steelers drafting one. Then I took Leo Chenal next. Like the running back position, the Steelers need depth at ILB and Chenal would be a great rotational piece. After him, I grabbed Bryan Cook. The Steelers currently sit without a strong safety and Cook is a physical player who isn’t afraid of contact at the second level. I then added depth to the interior of the offensive line with Dohnovan West. West wouldn’t be considered as a starter in his first year, but he’d provide valuable plug and play depth at the guard position. Then, I addressed the slot receiver vacancy in Josh Johnson. Johnson is a tough, physical receiver who can pick up yardage after the catch and move the chains. As my final pick, I went after Jeffrey Gunter. Even though the Steelers have elite talent in both edge positions in Alex Highsmith and TJ Watt, depth behind them is lacking. Gunter would be an added depth player who could grow into a solid rotational guy.”

Lastly, let’s take a look at my Steeler Nation Mock Draft:​

PFN-4-4-22.png

What I had to say about my mock: “Now, I think it would be unlikely that Chris Olave is the pick for the Steelers in the first round. Reason being is neither Kevin Colbert or Mike Tomlin were at the Ohio State Pro Day. The Steelers almost never draft someone in the first round that don’t have either Colbert or Tomlin at their Pro Day, but I am making an exception here. Olave is too good to pass up in this situation and plays a position of need. Next I chose Jalen Pitre out of Baylor. The Steelers currently don’t have a starting strong safety, which is the only position on the roster they don’t have one penciled in. Pitre isn’t the biggest being only 5’11” and 195lbs, but his in-the-box play style and physicality would fit with how the Steelers strong safeties are asked to play very well. I stick with the defensive secondary in round 3 as I have them selecting cornerback Mario Goodrich out of Clemson. His counterpart, Andrew Booth Jr., is getting all the attention, but Goodrich is a quality cornerback in his own right. As far as I can tell, he has zero missed tackles in run support in 2021, which screams him ending up as a Steelers cornerback. He is also sticky in coverage, but lacks playmaking on the ball which is why he isn’t considered as an early pick. Switching back to offense, the Steelers need to find a reliable backup for Najee Harris, and Kyren Williams is exactly that, reliable. He underwhelmed at the NFL Combine running a 4.7s 40-yard dash, but he is arguably the most complete running back in this class from running the ball, blocking, and receiving. These later rounds are all about building depth with a chance at upside and that is why Amare Barno is a great pick here. Barno is a twitchy player on the edge and has experience in run support, rushing the passer, and dropping into coverage. However, he needs to pack on about 10-20lbs to have a shot as a consistent player on defense long term. Logan Bruss has both guard and tackle versatility which can help him make a roster, as he needs some technique work before he sees the field. He has very good bend and quick feet, but hands need to be cleaned up. Lastly, Clarence Hicks is someone I see as a special teams ace in the future with potential to develop into a solid starter down the road. He has an aggressive play style, but is on the smaller side and doesn’t have great speed which will make it more difficult for him to succeed on defense until he becomes a more refined player.“

All of these simulators obviously rank people in very different locations, but you can see trends, as well as some overlapping names. These different simulators now have all the same picks as the compensatory picks have finally been announced!

Let us know below what you think of all of our mocks we did this week and who you think would be good prospects to look into! Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Man I have to say the idea of getting Atlanta's number 1 pick next year is very attractive.

Man I have to say the idea of getting Atlanta's number 1 pick next year is very attractive.
On top of that you get a good cornerback in the second.

I just don't get drafting a running back in the second round after drafting Harris in the first last season.

On top of that you get a good cornerback in the second.

I just don't get drafting a running back in the second round after drafting Harris in the first last season.
Yeah I hated that idea, just too many other bigger needs.

Yeah I hated that idea, just too many other bigger needs.
There are good options on day 3 if they don’t try to peg a small, fast third down back who can’t actually play like they always seem to do. Finding a quality No. 2 late would be better than drafting a future special teams linebacker like they always seem to waste a pick on.

And no one addresses our biggest need at DL in their entire drafts. Craziness.

If Tuitt is back DL is pretty much set for 2022. They will have cap space next year to sign a free agent DL as well as use high draft pick.

If Tuitt is back DL is pretty much set for 2022. They will have cap space next year to sign a free agent DL as well as use high draft pick.
Maybe, but Tuitt, IF he comes back, along with Alualu and even Cam aren't kids anymore. The D-line should still be a priority, because using my crystal ball, I can see one or two of these players not making it through the season.

Maybe, but Tuitt, IF he comes back, along with Alualu and even Cam aren't kids anymore. The D-line should still be a priority, because using my crystal ball, I can see one or two of these players not making it through the season.
Exactly! we need depth to be able to rotate

No need to add to the DL, improve RT, or get a CB or ILB. I mean, didn't the NFL pass a rule that players are no longer allowed to get hurt?

Penning or Elam at 20, Faalele or Gordon at 52 depending on who they get at 20, Metchie or Chenal at 84.

Wait, what, actually improve on mediocrity like Okorafor, DJ and Bush?

And then we have no one in 2023. Our DL is not set. Tuitt and Alualu are still question marks for this year. Cam is our only set starter. Loudermilk has potential. The rest are currently depth and rotational pieces and were all on the field for 5 200+ yard rushing games against us. Our DL is far from set this year and not set at all after this year. Drafting DL in Rd. 1 or 2 this year is a must.

My most recent mock, with several trades:

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Kaiir Elam
    CB Florida
    trade icon
  • PIT

Bernhard Raimann
    OT Central Michigan
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jahan Dotson
    WR Penn State

• PIT

Troy Andersen
    LB Montana State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Pierre Strong Jr.
    RB South Dakota State

• PIT

Sterling Weatherford
    S Miami-Oh
    trade icon
  • PIT

Logan Bruss
    OT Wisconsin

• 2023 CHI 3rd
  • 2023 CHI 5th
Two weak areas - #1 CB, RT - fixed. Talented WR, ILB with loads of physical abilities, SS, talented back-up RB, and another OT just in case.

Oh, and a couple 2023 draft picks for more draft capital. If we need to trade a #1 and a #3 plus the 2024 #1 to move up into the top 10 in 2023 draft, we still have the Bears #3 so it works out to "giving up" a 2024 #1.

Another version, trade, trade, trade, trade and oh yeah, another trade.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Daxton Hill
    S Michigan
    trade icon
  • PIT

Bernhard Raimann
    OT Central Michigan
    trade icon
  • PIT

Leo Chenal
    LB Wisconsin
    trade icon
  • PIT

Zyon McCollum
    CB Sam Houston State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Pierre Strong Jr.
    RB South Dakota State

• PIT

Marcus Jones
    CB Houston
    trade icon
  • PIT

Otito Ogbonnia
    DT UCLA
    trade icon
  • 2023 ARI 3rd

Gave up Steelers 2023 4th rounder to get Arizona's 2023 3rd rounder. Gifted SS, very good at covering TE and RB's, speed to keep up with WR's. Raimann from Austria, elite tools, solid run blocker, better than Okorafor today, improves running game. I have liked Chenal for weeks, well before the combine, now seems to have become a hot commodity, moving up to a 3rd round guy. Big, run-stuffer, excellent tools, not going to hurt you in zone. McCollum needs time to learn to play NFL CB but his raw skills are freaky - 6'2", 200 lbs., 4.33 40, 39 1/2" vertical, incredible 6.48 3-cone. Backup RB in Strong. Return guy, slot CB and all-round Coolie jizz-holder in Jones. Ogbonnia a huge run-stuffer (6'4", 326 lbs.).

And Arizona's 2023 3rd rounder.