• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation’s Leif Adams’ 2022 Draft Grades for the Pittsburgh Steelers

? Then you are depriving the roster of top talent which might make your GM run a short one.
My opinion goes deeper than the draft. I feel players that skip bowl games lack passion for the game and will be harder to sign long term. Plenty of good players that don’t skip bowl games every year to draft in round one.

They usually have money on the line/ on their mind for skipping. In your head it makes sense.. But when your the player skipping.. It doesnt make sense to the heart. I couldnt do it.

My opinion goes deeper than the draft. I feel players that skip bowl games lack passion for the game and will be harder to sign long term. Plenty of good players that don’t skip bowl games every year to draft in round one.
Lacks passion for the game but yet played in the senior bowl. Why accept that then?

I am sure some might lack passion. But that is a case by case on the draft scouts etc. to investigate and provide a conclusion.

The guy didn't opt out on Covid, played in the senior bowl, and was emotional on draft day. I want to label it as highly emotional watching his draft coverage.

I am going out on a limb and saying KP doesn't lack passion for the game.

Another thing about those that skip the bowl game, MAYBE thye have obtained the art of "it's just business" which the NFL has adopted many a many years ago. Those players may just be more up on that realization as opposed to their hear not being in it.

The college "payday" will make this action way more and more prevelent as time proceeds.

Salute the nation

Lacks passion for the game but yet played in the senior bowl. Why accept that then?

I am sure some might lack passion. But that is a case by case on the draft scouts etc. to investigate and provide a conclusion.

The guy didn't opt out on Covid, played in the senior bowl, and was emotional on draft day. I want to label it as highly emotional watching his draft coverage.

I am going out on a limb and saying KP doesn't lack passion for the game.
That’s your opinion. But what does it show for leadership? We just had a QB that played through unimaginable pain just last season. Not to mention after getting hit by a car early in his career. Or miss one snap after busting his nose vs the ravens. Kenny skipped a game that cost his team a bowl win.

Hey, I get it. It’s not a red flag for you. That’s great. There’s a lot of teams that wouldn’t count that as a red flag. Or wouldn’t count questionable off field or character issues. It’s wherever you feel comfortable. I feel there’s going to be plenty of players that didn’t skip their bowl game that are first round talents

That’s your opinion. But what does it show for leadership? We just had a QB that played through unimaginable pain just last season. Not to mention after getting hit by a car early in his career. Or miss one snap after busting his nose vs the ravens. Kenny skipped a game that cost his team a bowl win.

Hey, I get it. It’s not a red flag for you. That’s great. There’s a lot of teams that wouldn’t count that as a red flag. Or wouldn’t count questionable off field or character issues. It’s wherever you feel comfortable. I feel there’s going to be plenty of players that didn’t skip their bowl game that are first round talents
I would have questioned it more if he didn't play in the senior bowl. I would list higher concerns like ball security and moreso taking a longer year than most to shine.

Leadership is different than passion for the game. Two different monsters. If he gets dinged for leadership probably could see that moreso in comparison.

I guess we would have to talk to his teammates for an accurate beat on that subject but I get the line of thinking a little bit more.

why skip the bowl game but play in senior bowl?
Because Michigan state was a shotty pass d and tge sr bowl is huge in the eyes of some coaches and gms like Tomlin and Colbert…

Its risk assessment 101

If he plays vs Michigan state and gets hurt, he is ******

If he plays vs Michigan state and plays absolutely fantastic, well thats what was supposed to happen
If he plays bad, or even average, then he loses draft position.

Playing well in the sr bowl had positive potential, the bowl game in his agents eyes (and im sure he had one by then) was probably only important if he had to make an impression against a better team…

I would have absolutely moved down in the draft and risked not getting him… but there were rumors that teams were trying to position themselves for him in the later first and the Steelers got spooked enough that they tried to move up with the Texans to get him… so they really wanted him

FWIW, Pickett’s replacement in the Peach Bowl broke his collarbone. Matt Corral, who was celebrated as the guy who played, suffered an injury early in his bowl game.

I think they should play yet understand why they don’t.

You may be the only person who believes that, Fairlane. 8 of the first 20 players drafted skipped bowl games.