• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers are on the clock these players are available / pick 1

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
(Steelers feel like their options, to trade down doesn't bring enough value. So they stick with their pick.)

(not in order of preference)

Gone ?

Top 3 QBs
Clowney
Robinson
Mack
C.J. Mosley
Aaron Donald
Mike Evans
Mathews
Watkins
Justin Gilbert
Taylor Lewan
Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix

Available ?

Darqueze Dennard
Anthony Barr
Eric Ebron
Marqise Lee
Timmy Jernigan
Odell Beckham Jr.
Louis Nix
Zack Martin
Kony Ealy
Kyle Fuller
Jace Amaro
Kelvin Benjamin

So pick one..................... and then explain why he stands out in comparison to the others listed / your reasoning for the pick..................

Last edited:
Dennard
Barr
Ealy

my top 3 in that group

I'd take Barr.
We can get CBs later (though not of the same caliber as Dennard). Barr just seems like one of those guys who will flourish once he gets NFL coaching. 6'5, 255lbs...he could be a HUGE asset for us.

Dennard
Barr
Ealy

my top 3 in that group

I'd take Barr.
We can get CBs later (though not of the same caliber as Dennard). Barr just seems like one of those guys who will flourish once he gets NFL coaching. 6'5, 255lbs...he could be a HUGE asset for us.

Would the Steelers draft a OLBer with their first pick two years in a row?

I would like the added pass rush possibilities he would bring. You could put him in on 3rd down and let him rush. Get some added pass rush would benefit the secondary as well. And a little extra competition for Jarvis wouldn't hurt...........

Dennard. Its the position where we are most in need, and unlikely to get a guy that could start anywhere else in the draft. We can likely get WRs later that can contribute right away, even a decent TE.

Though Ebron is intriguing, we don't typically use TEs like him who's principal skill is catching the ball. It'd be nice to have a 'Tony Gonzales' or 'Antonio Gates', but we require more blocking, especially with some of our OLs.

That said, there are probably 4-5 other guys that would make sense: Lee, Nix, Fuller, Barr, Ealy. Little more than a week until we find out.

Dennard. Its the position where we are most in need, and unlikely to get a guy that could start anywhere else in the draft. We can likely get WRs later that can contribute right away, even a decent TE.

Though Ebron is intriguing, we don't typically use TEs like him who's principal skill is catching the ball. It'd be nice to have a 'Tony Gonzales' or 'Antonio Gates', but we require more blocking, especially with some of our OLs.

That said, there are probably 4-5 other guys that would make sense: Lee, Nix, Fuller, Barr, Ealy. Little more than a week until we find out.

Do you think Dennard is going to come in and start this year? Or are you saying that there are no CBs outside the 1st round that will ever start in the NFL?

Also Nix and Lee make no sense to me. I'll take Barr over those guys in a second.

I have a feeling that we may have another Decastro deal again with Barr. There were a lot of people who loved DD and nobody had him falling to us and maybe the same thing will happen with Barr. If this happened I would run that pick in, looking at this list you have I like Barr, Dennard and Ebron as the top 3. Looking at that I see TE and CB as a strong class with the ability to grab a good guy in the later rounds, but I don't see that with the LB class. I know OLB is not a major area of need right now but based on talent I think Barr could be the BPA at 15 but the drop off from him to say Ebron or Dennard in very minimal, imo.

Barr would be the BPA easily IMHO. OLB is also an area of need because Worilds is on a one year contract and Jones is a mystery right now. I'll throw a hammer through the TV if they take Ebron. Taking a TE that drops a ton of passes and can't block is a huge mistake in the 1st round. Especially since the Steelers use the TE to block. The OL isn't strong enough to send TEs down the field. They had to use Adams as a TE to help Gilbert last year.

Would the Steelers draft a OLBer with their first pick two years in a row?

I would like the added pass rush possibilities he would bring. You could put him in on 3rd down and let him rush. Get some added pass rush would benefit the secondary as well. And a little extra competition for Jarvis wouldn't hurt...........

I wouldn't give a **** if they do. At worst, we could allow Worilds to roam a bit at the LB spot, considering he moves/moved around a lot last season anyway. I don't see it as an issue at all. Four athletic LBs (despite what people say about Jarvis) would be a very insane LB corps.

Barr would be the BPA easily IMHO. OLB is also an area of need because Worilds is on a one year contract and Jones is a mystery right now. I'll throw a hammer through the TV if they take Ebron. Taking a TE that drops a ton of passes and can't block is a huge mistake in the 1st round. Especially since the Steelers use the TE to block. The OL isn't strong enough to send TEs down the field. They had to use Adams as a TE to help Gilbert last year.

exactly. I don't see a TE in this draft to take anyway.

Do you think Dennard is going to come in and start this year? Or are you saying that there are no CBs outside the 1st round that will ever start in the NFL?

Also Nix and Lee make no sense to me. I'll take Barr over those guys in a second.

I'd be OK taking Dennard. IMO, he could contribute this year and if Ike really can't keep up, we have someone who should be able to step in.

I wouldn't mind Barr, especially with Worilds not locked up past this year yet. And if they do get Worilds locked up (or choose not to do so) and he can't stay healthy, or Jones can't cut it, Barr should be able to step in.

We're kind of in a tough spot as far as CBs go.

For me, it would be Kyle Fuller, Odell Beckham, Dennard, and Martin. I think Fuller is the best blend of traits for a corner. He is very good against the run. He can play zone/man. He closes on the ball well, both in front and behind him. Just a solid, steady, all-around guy. Tall and athletic. No real holes in his game, just not as well hyped as others.

I think Odell Beckham is very similar to Antonio Brown in his game, but his measureables are better. He is taller, heavier, faster, quicker, stronger, and a better leaper. He has good hands and runs good routes. Just all you want in a WR and when you have a guy with similar skills, like Brown, who can potentially take him in and show him what made him improve, then you may have a recipe for greatness. I know everyone wants height at the WR position in the redzone, but if your WR have enough quickness, he can get a step in space and all you need is a small window in the redzone.

I like Martin as a potential LT/RT at the next level. Very good technician. Very solid performer. I think he can play any position on the line, maybe start at any position on the line. I think if Martin was an inch taller and his arm length was an inch better, he would be a top 10 lock. Of course, 2" less on a man is a big deal.

The more film I watch of Anthony Barr, the more I hope someone ahead of us takes him. He scares me more and more. Great first step. Great instincts. Drops in coverage well. Struggles to hold the point. Both USC and Stanford blocked him with TEs. Now, he has such a good first step, he can slip by some LTs, but once most locked on, he was pretty much eliminated. I think it takes him 2-3 years before you see something out of him. He gives me the Bruce Davis vibe.

It would likely be Darqueze Dennard over Odell Beckham Jr.. Dennard was a shutdown corner, team captain, leader of the defense and has no perceivable character flaws. A hard worker with no off field headaches and a leader for the defense. It seems consistent with what the Steelers are looking for especially when based on last years draft.

who do yinz see being available in 2 possibly from this list if anyone ?

I'd take odell beckham, dennard is to grabby and his hip tightness worries me as well. Beckham gives explosive play making abilities immediately and there is CB depth later. JMO

Lol I'd take both LSU wrs this year, love Landry too

It's a toss up for me, Dennard will be a star for a long time the kid has mad skills, but Benjamin is an awesome receiver prospect, and just what Ben ordered. I would probably pull the trigger on Dennard but it would be a tough choice for me.

For me, it would be Kyle Fuller, Odell Beckham, Dennard, and Martin. I think Fuller is the best blend of traits for a corner. He is very good against the run. He can play zone/man. He closes on the ball well, both in front and behind him. Just a solid, steady, all-around guy. Tall and athletic. No real holes in his game, just not as well hyped as others.

I think Odell Beckham is very similar to Antonio Brown in his game, but his measureables are better. He is taller, heavier, faster, quicker, stronger, and a better leaper. He has good hands and runs good routes. Just all you want in a WR and when you have a guy with similar skills, like Brown, who can potentially take him in and show him what made him improve, then you may have a recipe for greatness. I know everyone wants height at the WR position in the redzone, but if your WR have enough quickness, he can get a step in space and all you need is a small window in the redzone.

I like Martin as a potential LT/RT at the next level. Very good technician. Very solid performer. I think he can play any position on the line, maybe start at any position on the line. I think if Martin was an inch taller and his arm length was an inch better, he would be a top 10 lock. Of course, 2" less on a man is a big deal.

The more film I watch of Anthony Barr, the more I hope someone ahead of us takes him. He scares me more and more. Great first step. Great instincts. Drops in coverage well. Struggles to hold the point. Both USC and Stanford blocked him with TEs. Now, he has such a good first step, he can slip by some LTs, but once most locked on, he was pretty much eliminated. I think it takes him 2-3 years before you see something out of him. He gives me the Bruce Davis vibe.

I think that is kinda unfair, with Davis nobody was really high on him and he came out of nowhere as our pick. With Barr he is getting a lot of hype both during the season and after. I liked what I saw with Barr there are some things he will need to improve on but I think not being rushed in like JJ was this year and eased into playing time will be good for him. I liked the way he reads plays, he sniffs out the screen and reacts. I like the way he turns plays inside and don't let the runner get the outside. I think he showed good coverage skills and good reaction to the ball. I do agree that he needs to get stronger but I also thinks he fits in on our defense cause he got help a ton....and most weren't call. lol

Like Beckham a lot but would not be upset with DD.

I'd take Barr. Pass rush is so thin in this draft and the steelers don't have any proven pass rushers. Jarvis was bad last year and Worilds has a handful of good games and a bunch of mediocre. Worilds may also be tough to sign. It seems he wants to just play this season and be a free agent again next year.

If Worilds slips back to mediocrity then they need a replacement. If he has a great season then maybe the Steelers can't afford him and the still need a replacement.

I take Barr and let him battle it out with Jones for the starting spot. Then move the loser to ILB. It would be like having Chad Brown again. It's been years since teams have had to worry about the Steelers inside cross blitz with the ILBs.

I'd take Ealy over Barr 100 times out of 100 as a pure rusher. But he's a big-time tweener in a 3-4. He's strong, but not a 5-tech guy, and he's never played with his hand off the ground. Probably can't; he's already over 270.

Barr is just about the weakest front-7 guy I've ever seen on the college level. Well, he and Jeremiah Attaochu. Talk about guys who just vanish when you lay a pinky on them.

My preferences, keeping in mind I haven't scouted any CBs yet:

1. Beckham, for all the reasons TMC listed
2. Jernigan, who looks like a playmaking nose and not just a wide body
3. Ealy
4. Martin
5. Amaro

No way on Nix, Ebron, or Benjamin. None are worth taking in Rd. 1 IMO

I think that is kinda unfair, with Davis nobody was really high on him and he came out of nowhere as our pick. With Barr he is getting a lot of hype both during the season and after. I liked what I saw with Barr there are some things he will need to improve on but I think not being rushed in like JJ was this year and eased into playing time will be good for him. I liked the way he reads plays, he sniffs out the screen and reacts. I like the way he turns plays inside and don't let the runner get the outside. I think he showed good coverage skills and good reaction to the ball. I do agree that he needs to get stronger but I also thinks he fits in on our defense cause he got help a ton....and most weren't call. lol

What does draftniks talking up a guy have to do with anything? Nobody talked about Antonio Brown before he was drafted. Nobody talked about Tom Brady. So, if you were drafting right now, would you pass on Brown and Brady because nobody knew who they were?

Nobody talked up Mike Mitchell either. The Raidres took him in the 2nd round out of nowhere. They paid him through his rookie deal, he left, went to Carolina and turned in a good year. He is now with the Steelers. So, it took him a while to develop. Great, that is very nice for whomever inks him to the 2nd deal. Me, I really do not want to be the farm team for the NFL. Let the Raiders do that.

In the film I watched, he did turn the play inside. He kept his feet and held the point (for the most part) but it was OFTEN against TEs. Will he have power against LTs? His bench was very weak. I stated he had good instincts and that may be the biggest difference between Barr and Davis. Also said he drops in coverage well. But, not so sure he will be a great pass rusher in the NFL. In the USC game, he got his first sack with just under 6 minutes left in the game. He beat the TE around the outside and when the QB went back to throw, he knocked the ball out before it went forward for a sack/strip/fumble. The next sack, with just under 4 minutes left, he used a solid spin move to beat a LT that struggled with speed. But, where was he the 54 minutes prior? Only when everyone knew USC was passing did he get to the QB? In many instances, that same LT that struggled with speed or the TE had him blocked. They ran at him because he would loop outside and they would gash him inside. Seriously, just not seeing a guy that made play after play. He hustles. Works hard on the field, high energy, but I think he is a guy that takes some time to develop the technique needed to beat NFL LTs. In fact, Cassius Marsh would be a better choice as a pass rusher from that same UCLA team. Better developed pass rush moves. Hell, in fact, I might would rather take a flier on Marsh later than spend my first on Barr. Marsh is not some power guy either, but he has better technique.

Stanford also blocked him with a TE in many instances. Better LT prospect. He did not get a sack against Stanford. Against Oregon, he faced another OT that struggled with speed to the edge. In fact, looked like the OT had an ankle issue, saw him hopping around after several plays. First sack came on pure speed as an outside rush where he dives and swats the ball out of the hand of the QB (very similar to the USC game). It happens very early. Later, uses the same speed to get a holding call. His 2nd sack comes as the QB scrambles to his side and he tackles him a yard shy of the LOS. Still, even though he is facing an OT that struggles with his speed, when he gets too close and the LT locks up, he is a non-factor. In fact, several plays he gave up the edge. He was also moved backwards.

Maybe it is just me. Maybe I want an OLB in the first round that can find the QB AND play the run. But, I guess we drafted Jarvis Jones last year and he plays the run and cannot rush the passer well. Maybe this year we spend another first round pick on an OLB that can find the QB but may not handle the run so well. Then, next year we can draft a FS that covers but won't tackle and a SS that tackles but won't cover.

Then, we will have a team complete of front seven player that cannot stop **** and a group of secondary guys that cannot stop a pass. We would be complete.

Barr- just to good to pass up here and in a 3-4 you can never have enough rushers
Dennard- Solid 3-4 zone CB style, should from day 1 start as the slot cb, plays the run well and has some play making abilities.
Ebron- Very intriguing te , we are thin behind miller and ebron presents a target that can be used like Aaron Hernandez was and how Graham is used, line up at te flank out to wr or line as a slot wr where he will eat a mlb trying to cover him not named Willis.

Barr is not weak. He is not afraid of contact. Maybe he doesn't have a great bench but he sets an edge when he needs to. He's not James Harrison. What college player is? Clowney isn't good at setting an edge either. Would we be complaining that he's not stout enough against the run if he somehow slipped?

Barr is a converted RB. He's an athlete still learning the position. UCLA played him almost like a nickel CB at times. Despite inexperience, he still makes a bunch of plays with instinct. He is aware of contain. I saw him make several plays where he didn't make the tackle but he kept his contain and blew up the play. He's aware on screens.

He is a weakside player. He's raw. He can pack on a few pounds, but he has the athleticism and quickness that Jarvis lacks.

College football produces very few complete players these days. It's all specialized. When I watched Barr, I saw a guy who was being asked to do more than just rush the passer. He was learning and getting better. I see a versatile player on the rise.

Unlike Jarvis, Barr's weaknesses are correctible

Besides, a draft isn't just about talent. It's about value too. Pass rushers are very scarce in this draft. You pass on Barr and maybe you don't get one.

I really don't care who we pick in rd 1 as long as it says cb after the name.