• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers’ Art Rooney II Reflects On Polarizing Kenny Pickett's First 2 Seasons In Pittsburgh

Looks like it’s KP8 this up coming season. He needs to put up or shut up, same for the HC.

Take the kid’s gloves off (not Kenny’s as he’d have trouble gripping the ball) and treat him without excuses.

10-7 will keep him, along with the greatest coach, and we repeat the system again in ‘25.

Salute the nation

I don't know how anyone can make an honest assessment about the QB situation in Pittsburgh. KP doesn't seem to be the answer, Trubisky certainly isn't and Rudolph, while he did perform better that I can recall him ever playing, isn't the long term solution either.

What all 3 have in common is the coaching staff surrounding them. I don't think any QB excels in this system. Maybe some of the coaching changes will make a difference, but I'm not optimistic that will happen.

I don't know how anyone can make an honest assessment about the QB situation in Pittsburgh. KP doesn't seem to be the answer, Trubisky certainly isn't and Rudolph, while he did perform better that I can recall him ever playing, isn't the long term solution either.

What all 3 have in common is the coaching staff surrounding them. I don't think any QB excels in this system. Maybe some of the coaching changes will make a difference, but I'm not optimistic that will happen.

I don't think Mason will be back. I read a small article saying he expressed he wanted a fresh start. I hope he finds a team as we need someone new, NOT a diss on Mason, but a change here in different qb .

Ultimately a system / coaching change.

Salute the nation

The notion that the system is the what's holding Kenny back is getting ridiculous, it's amazing to me when Ben was here, everyone said, "Ben is holding Canada back", the first ballot HOF QB is holding Canada back. Then it was, "we kept Ben a year to long, it set this franchise back, blah, blah, blah. LMAO. Then we draft a Pitt QB 1st round, then suddenly everyone is on his side, saying Canada is holding him back. How about Pickett just sucks as a Franchise QB? How about he's not the guy. I don't care what system he's in, the OC isn't telling him to miss wide open guys, the OC isn't telling him to not get through his reads, the OC isn't telling him to NEVER step up into the pocket, instead spin into pressure. So here we are into year 3 of Kenny, and we're still talking about we don't know what we have. So after this season, it'll be well Kenny had a new system to learn, he needs at least another year. It doesn't look like Ben playing in 2021 set this franchise back, drafting Pickett appears to have set this franchise back 4 or 5 years, depending on how many excuses they make for him.
All this is secondary to Tomlin being the real issue with this team not having any success the past 7 years.

Reading between the lines from Art's interview... "There will be no QB competition in camp."

Reactions: xjx

Might be some truth in what you are saying but I think the new OC will have his system and his demands. So they should be transitioning over to a new system on O unfortunately not on D.

Plus yeah Tomlin is still here with his questionable decision making. If he finds a way to let the people around him make the majority of th decisions and stick to what he is good at then maybe this team will be more capable of something.

Problem is Mike seems to be set deeply within his ways.

I don't think Mason will be back. I read a small article saying he expressed he wanted a fresh start. I hope he finds a team as we need someone new, NOT a diss on Mason, but a change here in different qb .

Ultimately a system / coaching change.

Salute the nation
Agree that I don’t think he comes back for an unwinnable competition yet again, I think he did enough to get at least a prove it contract somewhere else in this free agency cycle. Wish him the best as he dealt with an absolute **** situation admirably

The notion that the system is the what's holding Kenny back is getting ridiculous, it's amazing to me when Ben was here, everyone said, "Ben is holding Canada back", the first ballot HOF QB is holding Canada back. Then it was, "we kept Ben a year to long, it set this franchise back, blah, blah, blah. LMAO. Then we draft a Pitt QB 1st round, then suddenly everyone is on his side, saying Canada is holding him back. How about Pickett just sucks as a Franchise QB? How about he's not the guy. I don't care what system he's in, the OC isn't telling him to miss wide open guys, the OC isn't telling him to not get through his reads, the OC isn't telling him to NEVER step up into the pocket, instead spin into pressure. So here we are into year 3 of Kenny, and we're still talking about we don't know what we have. So after this season, it'll be well Kenny had a new system to learn, he needs at least another year. It doesn't look like Ben playing in 2021 set this franchise back, drafting Pickett appears to have set this franchise back 4 or 5 years, depending on how many excuses they make for him.
All this is secondary to Tomlin being the real issue with this team not having any success the past 7 years.
Colbert set this franchise back 5 years handing us Kenny and topped off the **** sundae handing some Mitch on top as he escaped out the hatch…good news is they weren’t going anywhere anyways with Shades so the setbacks hopefully exit together soon (next year-fingers crossed).

It seems Khan is actually trying to build something, hope like hell he does and gets a crack at bringing in a coach and QB which he has major input in.

Colbert set this franchise back 5 years handing us Kenny and topped off the **** sundae handing some Mitch on top as he escaped out the hatch…good news is they weren’t going anywhere anyways with Shades so the setbacks hopefully exit together soon (next year-fingers crossed).

It seems Khan is actually trying to build something, hope like hell he does and gets a crack at bringing in a coach and QB which he has major input in.
They didn't let the GM that was on his way out make those selection, while Tomlin, the 17 year Head Coach that is going to be here for the long haul sat on his hands, Tomlin had final say on those selections no doubt.

Tomlins decision making is questionable. But he never had a losing season. His decision to be just good enough has worn thin on fans.

Don't forget that Andy Wiedl is a big part of the Kahn success.

Salute the nation

I think Kenny was doing what he was told for the most part. Throw 3yrd outs, roll to your opposite side, and not turn the ball over that is what he did. In desperation or crunch time when Kenny did the best is when he had more freedom. I don't think that is coincidence. Kenny did miss throws but so does every single QB. Kennys misses are magnified because the system allows such little room for errors along with people just don't like him.....Kennys one game out from Canada was a big improvement and he was not doing bad in the AZ have before getting hurt. I don't expect Kenny to be Mahomes, but i do think he can be solid and consistent with the right scheme. People are spolied by Ben and guys like Stroud, but that is not the norm at all. Look at a guy like Trevor Lawrence he was supposed to be a generational talent. Lawrence has not been horrible and has had some very good games, but I wouldn't even put him in the upper tier of QBs right now.

I think Kenny is a career back-up at best. He's a 1st round QB, the first QB taken, he's supposed to be good, that's why you used a 1st round pick on him, you don't use a 1st round pick on a QB to be solid, you can find those guys later in the draft.

They didn't let the GM that was on his way out make those selection, while Tomlin, the 17 year Head Coach that is going to be here for the long haul sat on his hands, Tomlin had final say on those selections no doubt.
I’m sure they both had culpability in the decision

Don't forget that Andy Wiedl is a big part of the Kahn success.

Salute the nation

A definite asset and damn glad we have him setting the board, I just didn’t mention him this time cuz he sets the board and not sure how much input his role would have in a future HC search…would think that would be Deuce and Khan (hopefully more Khan than Deuce if I had my way)

The two seem to be working well in tandem together as far as drafting. Funny how having multiple experts working together and being allowed to execute their roles could have beneficial results…Tomlin should take notes from this type of relationship (and also he should probably be locked up in another room on draft day this year)

I’m sure they both had culpability in the decision
No way, that was all Tomlin, he's the one that was going to be hand-cuffed to him. I'm sure Colbert gave Tomlin his opinion, but that was all on Tomlin.

A definite asset and damn glad we have him setting the board, I just didn’t mention him this time cuz he sets the board and not sure how much input his role would have in a future HC search…would think that would be Deuce and Khan (hopefully more Khan than Deuce if I had my way)

The two seem to be working well in tandem together as far as drafting. Funny how having multiple experts working together and being allowed to execute their roles could have beneficial results…Tomlin should take notes from this type of relationship (and also he should probably be locked up in another room on draft day this year)

Lot of good in this post, but make no mistake, ANDY is involved, wether draft / board / personel / and new hires / evaluations of employees / his opinion is took into consideration but ultimately Kahn / Rooney make that final decision.

Salute the nation

Lot of good in this post, but make no mistake, ANDY is involved, wether draft / board / personel / and new hires / evaluations of employees / his opinion is took into consideration but ultimately Kahn / Rooney make that final decision.

Salute the nation
I hope he is
Frankly I’m shocked we still have him

Thought he’d get poached

No way, that was all Tomlin, he's the one that was going to be hand-cuffed to him. I'm sure Colbert gave Tomlin his opinion, but that was all on Tomlin.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this point

I’m pretty sure there were at a minimum 3 voices involved in that decision, Tomlin May have had final say…but very much doubt that was ALL Tomlin