• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers' Best 4 Available Free Agent Wide Receiver Options To Replace Diontae Johnson

The more I think about the DJ trade, the more I suspect that our new OC had his hand in this - not wanting a cancer in the locker room. Not sure DJ is a cancer, but his reputation is less than impressive at times, and his YAC skills are suspect.

The more I think about the DJ trade, the more I suspect that our new OC had his hand in this - not wanting a cancer in the locker room. Not sure DJ is a cancer, but his reputation is less than impressive at times, and his YAC skills are suspect.
As well as his blocking ability.

I don't see the Bengals trading Higgins to a division rival unless they make the Steelers over pay.

Last edited:
1) Tee Higgins would be my obvious choice, but I can't think of any situation EVER, where a team traded a star player to a in Division rival (time to Google I guess) while still in their prime. Not only football, but any sport. Just doesnt happen, but I can dream.

2) Calvin Ridley would be my next choice I just hope they don't overpay for him. Give him the same contract as Diontae.

3) Marquis Brown. I just think he's better than Boyd, but he's not a #2.

4) Boyd. I would pay the veteran minimum.. he does seem to play good in Pittsburgh though. But he's not a #2 either, and barely a #3.

Last edited:
Boyd lined up with 2 stud WR getting all the coverage and still wasn't impressive. I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about this guy he's an average at best WR 3.

Higgins is better than Boyd but also inconsistent and likely benefitting from Chase getting the top coverage guys. Think AB and JuJu after AB left Juju was never the same.

Ridley has talent but the guy is a total liability. Had to leave the league to get his mental health in order. No thanks

Marquis Brown is Jekyll and Hyde, similar to Harris but at WR. Flashes greatness 20% of the time.

Pass

Better off rolling the dice in the draft.

I’d never make a business call as to whether to get a player based on my personal feelings for the player. But as a fan I can say that Boyd has been a bit of and dick, crapping on the Steelers since he has been in Cincinnati including indicating at least once he was glad he didn’t go to the Burgh. So screw him.

Besides, we need a true #2. Smiths offense is built off of two WRs, RBs, TEs and occasionally a FB. Not many 3 wr sets.

DJ was a walk UFA after the season. Better to get something for him now then a comp pick in the 2026 draft. I don't believe this trade made the team better, but it offloaded a problem that was leaving after next season anyways.

Boyd lined up with 2 stud WR getting all the coverage and still wasn't impressive. I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about this guy he's an average at best WR 3.

Higgins is better than Boyd but also inconsistent and likely benefitting from Chase getting the top coverage guys. Think AB and JuJu after AB left Juju was never the same.

Ridley has talent but the guy is a total liability. Had to leave the league to get his mental health in order. No thanks

Marquis Brown is Jekyll and Hyde, similar to Harris but at WR. Flashes greatness 20% of the time.

Pass

Better off rolling the dice in the draft.
With our record of drafting "decently" with WRs I agree, try to draft a few. When I say we draft WRs "decently" I mean "decently." I know all the media praises our drafting genius on WRs but it's not totally true. Most of that reputation was based on when Ben was QB; he made most WRs seem better than they were. The one, true drafting WR genius was AB; a 6th rounder for one of the very best WRs in the NFL. THAT was true excellence, but other than him we've done "OK." Ben made WRs better.

- Pickens - 2nd round. Incredible talent, still waiting for breakout season.
- Austin - 4th. Incredible speed, waiting for production.
- Claypool - 2nd. Bust we "Kahned" Chicago to save the pick via trade for JPJ.
- DJ - 3rd. Had holes in his game, just traded.
- Washington - 2nd. Never developed.
- JuJu - 2nd. Mostly solid WR, much better with AB and Ben.
- Ayers - 7th. No.
- Coates - 3rd. Ben created, then nothing without him.
- Bryant - 4th. See above.
- Wheaton 3rd. Never amounted to much.
- Justin Brown - 6th. Nothing.
- Clemons - 7th. No.
- Sanders - 3rd. Solid. Went on to succeed on other teams.
- AB - 6th. The one big one.
- Wallace - 3rd. Good deep ball WR, Ben mostly created.
- Sweed - 2nd. Everyone's favorite whipping boy draft bust.
- Baker. No.
- Holmes 1st. Good pick, won a SB with his play.
- Reid - 3rd. No.
- Gibson - 4th. No.
- Randel El - 2nd. Good enough.
- Mays - 6th. No.

Didn't Boyd burn us a couple of times?

I would take Hunter Renfrow and also explore a deal with the Chargers for Keenan Allen

They should look at Michael Thomas. He’s big and physical and a fit in the system. He’s battled injuries and has slowed down but he was never fast. If he can pass medical exam, he could be a good cheap addition.

Well Mike Williams will be released from San Diego in a couple hours. Coming off an ACL.

Great, but he will be asking for north of 20 million dollars salary
He can ask all he wants, no way a 29 year old receiver coming off of an ACL repair is getting that type of deal...unless it is with the Davis family and the Raiders.

Allen and Williams put together are not worth 20 million. Allen is old, he reminds me of the WR version of Joe Mixon, always mentioned, big name, for what reason? Not that impressive.
Williams is fluky, had him in fantasy, good 1 out of 4 games.

Ridley's a Titan now
4 years, $92 mil, $50 mil guaranteed

too rich for my liking. Reclamation project DJ Chark?

too rich for my liking. Reclamation project DJ Chark?
I'm not sure about the DJ Chark part, but I agree with the being too rich....I was thinking some 5 million less then what he's getting.

With our record of drafting "decently" with WRs I agree, try to draft a few. When I say we draft WRs "decently" I mean "decently." I know all the media praises our drafting genius on WRs but it's not totally true. Most of that reputation was based on when Ben was QB; he made most WRs seem better than they were. The one, true drafting WR genius was AB; a 6th rounder for one of the very best WRs in the NFL. THAT was true excellence, but other than him we've done "OK." Ben made WRs better.
When you compare what other teams have done, the Steelers did hit on a lot of the receivers. They were good, but they also had an excellent QB who made these guys look better.

If Odunze makes it past pick 10, we are trading up in the draft. Will then take best avail Center. Prob the Georgia guy…

Take Boyd. Draft a stud 1st round. You are not getting Higgins. Ridley is gone. I don't want Brown. Boyd is decent. Pickens is supposed to be the man next year. If you got Boyd you probably just need a 750 yard 1st round stud.

I think they are just going to resign AR at a lower salary and then draft 1