• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Defense Is A Top Five Defense

It should but it's not like there isn't a history with this QB, head coach and offense not scoring points. There definitely is. We've seen lack of redzone scoring for a LONG time now. No one can really say it isn't an inherent trait with this group so far. Yes, we have a new OC, but the head coach and QB remain.
So Tomlin teams have been in the top 12 in red zone td scoring 3 times in his sixteen years here..
IIRC, (and I am not looking this up so i could be horribly wrong) they finished like 7th in 07… 1st overall in 18, and i want to say 8th in 20.

Thats with a HOF level qb, a couple all pro or pro bowl level RBs, a borderline Hof wr or two and several more that were pro bowl level for a bit… a couple of the best pass catching tes in team history and a at one point, a line that featured a couple all pros and pro bowlers….save for that magic 2018 season, we mostly played for the field goals down deep in the red zone… still do…

Also….
Was it 2018 or 2017 that the media was bitching that our great offense was wearing out the D too much by scoring? Lol
It’s either “ the offensive sucks and doesn’t give the D any leads and wears it out by giving the ball back to the other team too much

Or its
The O scores too quickly and wears tge D put so they cant hold leads…

I think the Media just likes to rabble rouse🤣

Stats does not come close to being a top five defense. To many games they allow teams to go down the field , score. We have played against back up QB's in a few of the games won and our defense did not over power one of those games. We won and we are happy, but this DC has been able to hide behind Canada and all the negative energy he brought to the Steelers.

I think.its a far better defense than listed. But some of the stats do not lie. I'd like to see them dictate more frequently and they have a bad habit of being passive on third and long. Especially against inexperienced guys. Dictate it. Look what happened to Cleveland when the Broncos brought it. They folded like a cheap suit.

I hear yaz SteelerSask, that has been a trait of the Tomlin era. 3rd and long and let’s trot out “prevent Defense”…….

They usually rush 2 DL and the OLBs, 4 on 5 or 6…. Giving them all the time in the world to find receiver.

Our DBs are 7 yards off the line and NOT a chance in hell to disrupt a receiver‘s pattern.

We need that BLITZBURGH back to a degree. And quit rolling over on “D”.

Salute the nation

Stats does not come close to being a top five defense. To many games they allow teams to go down the field , score. We have played against back up QB's in a few of the games won and our defense did not over power one of those games. We won and we are happy, but this DC has been able to hide behind Canada and all the negative energy he brought to the Steelers.

The current DC needs to be jettisoned out a compressed air, pumpkin canon.

Austin is garbage both before and after he got here.

Something to consider though……. It’s NOT known how deep Tomlin’s hands are in the cookie jar,… so to speak.

Salute the nation

I hear yaz SteelerSask, that has been a trait of the Tomlin era. 3rd and long and let’s trot out “prevent Defense”…….

They usually rush 2 DL and the OLBs, 4 on 5 or 6…. Giving them all the time in the world to find receiver.

Our DBs are 7 yards off the line and NOT a chance in hell to disrupt a receiver‘s pattern.

We need that BLITZBURGH back to a degree. And quit rolling over on “D”.

Salute the nation
His defense will always be predicated on not giving up the big play. And don't get me wrong if you can get pressure with four.....I'd just like to see a few big blitz packages on third and 10 inside their 20.

So, going hand-in-hand with that philosophy, our Offense is still bottom of the league, as we are at a pathetic 16 PPG, in the bottom 3 in scoring points. Of course, we are all semi-optimistic that that # will increase sans Canada, but is hadn't yet as we scored exactly our average of 16 PPG last game (but improved significantly in yards, 1st 400 yard output since Canada was hired, albeit vs one of the worst Ds in the NFL). If we keep the 400 yards of offense going, we are bound to increase our points scored.
this was as redundant as I have ever read

Reading it felt that way, the O sucks (we all know it) and we didn't score more than 16 points (already discussed at nauseum) despite finally getting +400 yards. Then you repeat the same thing and end up expecting more points if there are more +400 yards games.

Just felt obvious and redundant. Maybe just read it in a grumpy moment, idk.

Last edited:
There's more meat on the bone......the consistent flow of the moment needs to be taken advantage of more consistently for more consistent outcomes that are plausible to producing consistent outcomes...... the substandard is the new standard.... communication was affected tremendously after our green dot disappeared.....lol what a joke .500 is

There's more meat on the bone......the consistent flow of the moment needs to be taken advantage of more consistently for more consistent outcomes that are plausible to producing consistent outcomes...... the substandard is the new standard.... communication was affected tremendously after our green dot disappeared.....lol what a joke .500 is
Watt must just be playing for individual stats at this point; he knows this team is bull s---. He has to know.