• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Focusing on Defense; Lead League in Defensive Spending

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It’s been a busy time for the Pittsburgh Steelers this off-season, especially on the defensive side of the ball. According to OverTheCap.com, the Steelers have spent nearly $124 million, which is the most in the NFL. It’s clear that departing General Manager, Kevin Colbert sees the offensive firepower across the AFC North and wants to make sure the Steelers can limit the explosiveness, even more so now with the Cleveland Browns’ acquisition of Deshaun Watson.

Spending big money on the defensive side has literally paid off according to recent history. At least one of the top three teams that have spent the most money on defense the last three seasons has finished inside the top five in the NFL in total yards allowed, and two of those teams made it to the Super Bowl.

To dive further into this narrative, Steeler Nation has seen the Steelers’ teams in the ’04-’05 and ’07-’08 seasons lead the entire league in total defense en route to two Super Bowl victories. The ’08-’09 team that made an appearance in the Super Bowl also finished inside the top five. With about a month left until the April NFL Draft, there are still some moves that could be made in free agency to continue to build on a solid foundation.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers have spent the least out of every NFL team on the offensive side with just over $52 million, making it four straight off-seasons where the team has finished 10th or lower in offensive spending.

If you’re somebody who loves offensive firepower and high-scoring affairs, this upcoming season may not be your favorite team to watch. But one thing remains certain, yinz will see the Steelers contending in nearly every game with a defense that is poised to finish near the top of the league.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Still some work to do on defense. Figure out Tuitt get a starting SS. Possibly upgrade NT. The first two they have to figure out sooner than later.

The two big “ifs” for this D still linger for me.

This D could be great “if”…

1) We can stop the run.

Alualu getting injured early and no Tuitt definitely contributed to our issues. Couple this with a regression by Bush and it got ugly.

Are Adams resigning, getting an aging Alualu back and signing Myles Jack enough? I hope they don’t think so.

2) Offensive success. Points and time of possession. We allegedly upgraded the O line (can’t be much worse) and I do think this unit improved. Aside from that the WR corps was gutted…AND Canada remains.

Have a feeling a lack of offensive success will keep the D on the field far more than we like. A huge thank you to Najee for doing his part last year, maybe he’ll get a few more holes this year.

We still will be starting Bush.... For this defense to be great our coaches need to place the best players on the field. Not putting a player on the field just because they were drafted high. Hopefully Bush blossums into what Tombert thought he was when they drafted him.

1) NT is still a question mark

2) Tuitt is still a question mark

3) OL needs to prove itself

4) Matt Canada remains, this is the biggest offensive obsticle. If he can't prove himself of betterment then it will be a wasted season unless he is cut early. I'd give him 4-6 games and there needs to be start of season improvement over last year and from week 1 on there needs to be steady inprovement in executuin / game planning / in-game play calling & adjustents.

Spending draft capital to move up for a QB would set what's been accomplished to this point backwards.

Salute the nation

1) NT is still a question mark

2) Tuitt is still a question mark

3) OL needs to prove itself

4) Matt Canada remains, this is the biggest offensive obsticle. If he can't prove himself of betterment then it will be a wasted season unless he is cut early. I'd give him 4-6 games and there needs to be start of season improvement over last year and from week 1 on there needs to be steady inprovement in executuin / game planning / in-game play calling & adjustents.

Spending draft capital to move up for a QB would set what's been accomplished to this point backwards.

Salute the nation
I left Tuitt out because at this point he isn’t even a question mark to me until he does something to prove otherwise…right now he’s still just wasted cap space.

Between NT the OL and Canada though we’ve got work to do for sure

I left Tuitt out because at this point he isn’t even a question mark to me until he does something to prove otherwise…right now he’s still just wasted cap space.

Between NT the OL and Canada though we’ve got work to do for sure

I agree on the Tuitt being irrelevant until proven otherwise. I just wonder how the coaching staff perceive his presence ? I don't want re-action to scramble to find someone after the fact. He needs to be continuously talked to and monitored all the way up to the draft to see what advancement he has made and if he is taking this come-back seriously.

Salute the nation

This D could be great “if”…

1) We can stop the run.

Alualu getting injured early and no Tuitt definitely contributed to our issues. Couple this with a regression by Bush and it got ugly.
Alualu and Tuitt for sure. Some could argue this led to bush having regressed. A down year if you will.

I can get behind that somewhat. But IMO, Bush was so bad, he looked like he was trying to lose. No , Im not kidding.
He was worse than any MLB we have had. Including Matakevich or any other mlb i am forgetting.. Bush's tacklling made Deon Sanders look like Jack Lambert.

What im left with are questions: 1. Are the coaches watching the same thing as I am. 2. Are they intentionally looking past his **** play because of draft status?
3. If they are still blaming the knee, why is he on the field.

He was an absolute liability, that no one is talkng about, especially now that we have Miles Jack. So who is our 3 down backer this year? #1 Bush... Or Miles Jack. Maybe they will play spillane again on 3rd down this year. :unsure::rolleyes: