• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Get 1st Round Franchise QB And 2nd Round WR Phenom In Latest ESPN Mock Draft

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Love it or hate it, this time of year leads to a new mock draft being released basically every day by different media outlets. Wednesday morning, ESPN draft analyst, Mel Kiper Jr. released an article for his most recent two-round mock draft.

Kiper Jr. had the Pittsburgh Steelers going offense with their first two picks, including snagging a hometown favorite, quarterback Kenny Pickett with the 20th overall selection. He then had the Steelers adding John Metchie III in the 2nd round, which would hopefully form a longtime connection with Pickett that Steeler Nation could fall in love with.

Pickett burst into the scene in 2021 throwing for over 4,300 yards and 42 touchdowns, while leading the Pittsburgh Panthers to a 11-3 record and winning the ACC Championship. It also helps that he played all his home games at Heinz Field, likely giving the Steelers a scouting advantage.

Here is what Kiper Jr. had to say about the pick:

“I’d feel much more comfortable taking Pickett here than I would in the top 10. Best-case scenario is that he becomes a Derek Carr, and his floor is an Andy Dalton, which isn’t a bad quarterback by any means. Pittsburgh can win with that. Still, those two were taken in Round 2 and didn’t have Round 1 expectations surrounding them. If Pickett falls into the Steelers’ laps here, he’d be tough to pass up. And he has a little more upside than Mitch Trubisky.”

Comparing Pickett to someone like Andy Dalton likely doesn’t give Steeler Nation the warm and fuzzies about the pick, but it is an accurate comparison in my opinion.

Steelers NFL Draft Prospect QB Kenny Pickett from Pitt

Steelers NFL Draft Prospect QB Kenny Pickett from Pitt | Photo via Twitter.com/JSKO_PHOTO

As we move onto the second round, selected Metchie III out of Alabama adds to a wide receiver room that has some questions surrounding it, as well as very little depth currently.

Currently Diontae Johnson is a free agent after the 2022 season and Chase Claypool is coming off a disappointing 2021 season, so adding to that position group makes a lot of sense.

What Metchie III brings to the Steelers​

Metchie III has the ability to play both as a perimeter wide receiver and in the slot, as well as the ability to run a full route tree. This past season, he caught 96 passes for over 1,100 yards before tearing his ACL, and had a mark of 16.7 yards per reception in 2020, showing his ability to be both a possession and big play wide receiver.

Here is what Kiper Jr. had to say about mocking Metchie III to the Steelers in the 2nd round:

”Metchie tore his ACL in December, but he was having a fantastic season, with 96 catches for 1,142 yards and eight scores. He can play in the slot and make a difference in the middle of the field for the Steelers, which let JuJu Smith-Schuster walk in free agency. Metchie should be able to recover to play in Week 1 — and potentially help Kenny Pickett.”

While he compares Metchie III to former Steeler JuJu Smith-Schuster, they possess different skillsets. Metchie III is a physical player willing to go over the middle and being willing to contribute as a blocker in the run game similar to Smith-Schuster, but he wins more with polished route running and quickness in the receiving game.

Selecting well known names like Pickett and Metchie III is something that would get Steeler Nation’s attention, but selecting them in the first two rounds would definitely still bring question marks due to value due to upside and injuries respectively.

Let us know below what you think of Kiper Jr.’s latest attempt at a mock draft for the Steelers and if you’d be happy with them taking Pickett and Metchie III with their first two picks!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Kiper is so full of ****! Pickett has more upside than Trubiski? Trubiski was the first QB drafted in a QB class that also had Mahomes and Watson...compared to this year's weak *** QB class? Trubiski was drafted to a ****** organization and a shittier team and he lead them to the playoffs for heaven's sake.

Go Home Mel, you're drunk!

Drafting a QB in the 1st round of a weak QB class is almost sure to fail, but if the Steelers don't give up a 3rd round pick this draft and their 2023 1st round pick to do so, I can live with it. Not happy since they would be passing on a potentially great DL in Wyatt, or an OT like Penning or Raimann, or a CB like Elam.

Love the Metchie III pick. The more All-22 I watch, the more impressed I am of his route-running and ability to get open. Dude is going to be a #1 WR soon.

Hey, Steelers, how about making the team better for the next five seasons? Here's how:

20. Trevor Penning OT or Kaiir Elam CB
52. John Metchie III WR or Christian Watson WR
84. Leo Chenal LB or Quay Walker LB

Running game or pass defense improved; passing game improved; running defense improved. Result - team improved.

Hey, Steelers, how about making the team better for the next five seasons? Here's how:

20. Trevor Penning OT or Kaiir Elam CB
52. John Metchie III WR or Christian Watson WR
84. Leo Chenal LB or Quay Walker LB

Running game or pass defense improved; passing game improved; running defense improved. Result - team improved.
or Channing Tindall at 84

or Channing Tindall at 84

I like Tindall but he is best suited to play the buck. That means he would displace Myles Jack. Not going to happen. He also just seems too much like a Devin Bush clone. 230 lbs., good 40 time, good with a dominant DL in front of him, not great in pass coverage.

Been there, done that.

I highly doubt Picjett falls to 1.20 and I sure as hell hope we don't move up to get him.

Not slamming the young QB but our team is in a "bigger needs syndrone currently.

We have made VERY nice progress this off-season and could bring it home if drafting correctly.

Salute the nation

I've been wondering why I've been waking up in the middle of the night screaming NOOOOOOOO lately.

Considering the off season moves and tge fact that there are still some holes on the roster can they afford a second round pick that you would have to wait snother season to use?

Considering the off season moves and tge fact that there are still some holes on the roster can they afford a second round pick that you would have to wait snother season to use?
Metchie looks like a high floor guy that can start right away