• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers GM Omar Khan's 5 Most Important Checklist Items To Consider Before A Justin Fields Trade

I'm going with the crowd here - no thanks

I get the intrigue, but Fields hasn't shown he can be a top QB for three years now. At this point it's just hoping he becomes great like we are doing with Kenny. If it was going to happen, I would at most give up a 4th, but preferably a 5th.

we need a guy that pushes Kenny to the max to do everything he can to hold onto the job, Fields may be in the right system can overtake but trading a 2nd is very Risky with our needs, I think if they spend heavy in fa and go for a 1-2 window than u sign Cousins or trade a 5th for Wilson and restructure or wait until he is cut or with Smith u bring in Tannehill to push Kenny.
If Tannehill fill most of the needs like RT via draft if Cousinsyou are willing to spend big on a CB like Sneed, a reliable SS and perhaps luring JJ to unretire
FA Wise Aside from Conner Williams there is no sure guaranteed starter you can say is heads & shoulders better than Cole, some C/G guys I would go after for depth and challenge assuming we are looking at CB or OT rnd 1 and C later are C/G Hennessey Brewer (Ten) C Biadasz

After the SR Bowl Powers looks like a mid-round 1 C our Biggest needs are RT CB and a 3-down MLB
I think this 3 rnd mock could solve our issues with Powers still there a CB like Kool-Aid to good to pass up
20 CB Kool Aid Mc.. bama
52 ILB Cooper A &M
84 C Van Pran or of Zinter is here I convert him from RG to C
Zinter is the type of guy u need to restore the blue-collar hardwork leadership the kid is pure captain material, and would fit great with Smith heavy run philosophy

Good read and thanks for the write up Bob.!!!

I’m not in favor of acquiring Fields, to many questions and costly if it takes draft pick capital.

Salute the nation

1.) NO, Picket hasn’t shown he is a viable starting QB. A 3rd stringer out played him dramaticly. The GOOD news is they have this up-coming season to determine Kenny’s status. A whole new system / OC and a couple assistants. Curious to see how KP8 does.

2.) The STEELERS have no control of Mason Rudolf. They can make him an offer, but ultimately it is up to him. They need to make an early offer (that is legitimate and NOT low balled), if they are serious about retain ing him. If Mason actually gets to open market……… it will be a crap shoot. It only takes one team to be crazy money.

3.). Trubisky will be here if MASON is not retained (my guess). That doesn’t mean they can’t bring in another QB. I think Mitch should be gone regardless but also realize, he could be a different QB under this new system.

4 & 5 ) FIELDS can be looked at a couple different ways…. One being high priority and over-paying to get him. NOT my preference at all (I’d rather pass on him if this is the case). two being maybe obtain him upon his release, sort of in a Duwane Haskins sort of way. Extremely cap friendly deal. Remeber you are getting a turn-over machine with Fields and maybe a year on the bench, in our new system…… He may pan out and we end up looking like geniuses.

Salute the nation

If Fields had been a second round pick and went to Florida instead of Ohio State, this wouldnt even be a thing...

This is the exact same thing that happened with Haskins and the trade rumors are being pushed by the same people... and ultimately we got haskins completely for free...

This is a year 4 qb we are talking about. He has less chance of turning things around and basically has to start because of the contract issues... he absolutely isnt worth more than conditional seventh... this isnt the same as what happened with SF last year...

The checklist should read:
1. Is he free or virtually free ( )yes ( )pass
2. Will we be locked into his 5 th year contract ( ) no ( )pass

u have to cut trib rejects like Dobbs, and Zappe Howell Darnold looked better than he is utterly useless, and cutting him on 3/1 he should go to XFL or whatever the usfl crapshoot.
We extend Heyward 2 years, restructure or cut Chukes, "I do not want to see Moore at LT, he doesn't have the strength or speed to deal with Myles, Hendrickson, the Ravens top rushers. you need Jones at LT and Chukes was fine at RT if they all get tons of reps in camp we just need a b-b+ center as opposed to our c-c+ center Cole

1)No he's not starting caliber
2)Maybe-hard to say what they are thinking
3)They are morons if they are comfortable with T-biscuit behind an injury prone crap QB1
4)who cares
5)no

1.) NO, Picket hasn’t shown he is a viable starting QB. A 3rd stringer out played him dramaticly. The GOOD news is they have this up-coming season to determine Kenny’s status. A whole new system / OC and a couple assistants. Curious to see how KP8 does.
It looks like it's inevitable no matter what: Kenny is getting another chance. Might as well just accept it now, it ain't changing. But can a new OC, and a few new assistant coaches, really alter Kenny's play significantly from:

1.) Locking on to his 1st target so boldly that even screen passes are telegraphed or the D to defend?

2.) Throwing for an average of 1/2 a TD pass a game?

3.) Getting happy feet and running out of the pocket when there isn't even real pressure developing?

4.) Not seeing wide open targets regularly?

5.) Throwing completely inaccurate passes to open WRs?

The above, with Mr. "Pee-your-pants" head coach in charge could simply be too much to overcome. How much will Shades influence Smith to wet his pants on any passes to the middle of the field, and how much will Ds know it, crippling the rushing game? Shades has F'd up the offense the last 3 years. If Rooney allows it, he will keep f---g it up.

Keep in mind that the QB coach is returning to same position. I’m against this move, but obviously, I don’t have much pull. We could have upgraded there easily.

Salute the nation

I'm not really a fan of the writing on this website, I'll check it out over at the Depot
giggle-laugh.gif

Keep in mind that the QB coach is returning to same position. I’m against this move, but obviously, I don’t have much pull. We could have upgraded there easily.
Under Sullivan's direction as QB coach, Kenny put up a QBR of 37, Mitch put up a 34. And we brought back the QB coach whose main job put up those #'s? Great, pure genius, Steelers. Way to make sense out of all this "change." They look like a circus ran by the @ss clowns.

we need a guy that pushes Kenny to the max to do everything he can to hold onto the job, Fields may be in the right system can overtake but trading a 2nd is very Risky with our needs, I think if they spend heavy in fa and go for a 1-2 window than u sign Cousins or trade a 5th for Wilson and restructure or wait until he is cut or with Smith u bring in Tannehill to push Kenny.
If Tannehill fill most of the needs like RT via draft if Cousinsyou are willing to spend big on a CB like Sneed, a reliable SS and perhaps luring JJ to unretire
FA Wise Aside from Conner Williams there is no sure guaranteed starter you can say is heads & shoulders better than Cole, some C/G guys I would go after for depth and challenge assuming we are looking at CB or OT rnd 1 and C later are C/G Hennessey Brewer (Ten) C Biadasz

After the SR Bowl Powers looks like a mid-round 1 C our Biggest needs are RT CB and a 3-down MLB
I think this 3 rnd mock could solve our issues with Powers still there a CB like Kool-Aid to good to pass up
20 CB Kool Aid Mc.. bama
52 ILB Cooper A &M
84 C Van Pran or of Zinter is here I convert him from RG to C
Zinter is the type of guy u need to restore the blue-collar hardwork leadership the kid is pure captain material, and would fit great with Smith heavy run philosophy
Since we know that Tomlin teaches few new skills, and we had the Kendrick Green shitshow, how about we just draft a center to play center?