• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin Analyzes Offensive Linemen Following First Day in Pads

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As we approach this upcoming season, NFL training camps have begun to open up all around the league. This gives us, as the fans, an opportunity to see some new faces that were added to this Pittsburgh Steelers roster throughout this off-season process. An off-season filled with many mixed emotions as we saw some veteran players that had a vital role in this organization’s success decide to step away from the game, to then be replaced by a new face from outside the organization (whether through the NFL Draft or the free agency process).

It’s kind of a double edged sword when it comes to how the Steelers may feel about these moves in particular. The organization lost some key pieces to the puzzle (particularly on the offensive line), in positions that played a huge part in this team’s success over the past 5-10 years. Just a few short years ago, the offensive line was what carried this football team. As Ben Roethlisberger would always say, “We go, as you guys go” when referring to his offensive linemen setting the tone early in the ballgame. From what we have heard so far, there have been more positives than negatives in regards to this situation.

The losses I keep mentioning are names that at least should be familiar to everyone who calls themselves a Steelers fan. Maurkice Pouncey announced his retirement shortly after the playoff loss to the Cleveland Browns, calling it quits after 11 seasons protecting Big Ben and this rushing attack. David DeCastro‘s situation was a bit different after a nagging injury did not heal as expected, forcing his hand into a possible early retirement. Both of these players were cornerstones on this offensive, and both of their presences is not an easy thing to replace, and will be missed immensely. “Replacing” both is going to be a tough job for this organization and coaching staff. This team is in a “win now” mode and the offensive line is this team’s biggest question mark heading into the new year. With both Pouncey and DeCastro now away from the black and gold, can this offensive line exceed expectations with some new faces doing their part?

That posed question in itself is an immense amount of pressure to put on anyone, yet alone a rookie or a new face on the team. That being said, the inevitable is that this whole offensive line is going to have a whole new look entering the 2021 season and it’s nice to hear some high praise coming from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin regarding some new faces to this group, specifically what we believe to be the new starting center, rookie Kendrick Green.

“I just want to see him digest the verbiage, to do a good job of communicating and being kind of that hub, or focal point, of the offensive line. He’s embracing that element of it. I like what he did from a conditioning standpoint between the end of the spring and now. You can see he’s one of the guys that took a step that month or so away from us. He really spent that time in the right areas and it should be continually beneficial for him as we continue through the process.”

Although nothing can make up for the immediate loss of Pouncey behind center, there is a lot of excitement surrounding the rookie center as well as the other guys filling out that offensive line group. The first “official” depth chart was released this week. That rotation has Zach Banner and Chukwuma Okorafor filling out the right and left tackle positions respectively. Newcomer Trai Turner (previously on the Los Angeles Chargers) and Kevin Dotson are manning both guard positions, leading the way for rookie Kendrick Green to be the starting center, although J.C. Hassenauer is slated there for now. Although there are many question marks about this group heading into the year, this is the group this coaching staff seems to be going with for now. Obviously pieces move as the preseason goes on, but our coaching staff seems to be confident in what they are showcasing in 2021.

How confident should we be in this offensive line group? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don’t know but this OL and the backups do not inspire me. If this OL cannot stand up to the challenge then as you all know, nothing will work. I hope rookie Kendrick Green can win the starting job and play well at center, that’s first key. My favorite is Big Dot and he has to come through. Trai Turner looks like a fat guy out of shape and will never be close to a healthy David DeCastro but I guess he doesn’t have to be but I question if he can stay healthy which has been an issue for a few years and he can come anywhere near his pro bowl level play. Just not confident that he can but would like to proven wrong.
Banner just does nothing for me. The guy has been on multiple teams and couldn’t even stick with an 0-16 Browns team a few years ago. Tomlin seems to think he can fix some of these guys but I’m most cases you can’t. Either the talent is there or it’s not.
Chuks a better LT but he has to show me a ton before I’m sold. This could be an ugly season very quickly if some of these guys don’t pan out.

Last edited:
I rate it as potential. Which will be predicated on the ability to stay healthy. I don't care for the depth at T hopefully the rook can get comfy sooner than later.

Best OL we have had in years. Finally got rid of the heavy priced dead weight. Seriously though can it be worse than last year? Maybe. Probably. Hopefully not though.