• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers interviewing for O staff additions

For assistant OC and WR coach …..

Antwaan Randle El enters his third season with the Lions as wide receivers coach in 2023. He joined the Lions in 2021 after spending two seasons (2019-20) as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, helping the team capture Super Bowl LV.
In 2022, Randle El oversaw a prolific wide receiver corps that finished top 10 in receptions (383), receiving yards (4,444), receiving first downs (228), receiving touchdowns (29), receptions of over 25 yards (35) and yards after catch (2,217). Under Randle El's direction, the Lions were one of five teams to have six players record over 350 receiving yards.
Since arriving in Detroit, Randle El has played a critical role in the breakout of Lions 2021 fourth-round draft selection WR Amon-Ra St. Brown. As a second-year pro in 2022, St. Brown earned a Pro Bowl berth as he tied the NFL record for most receptions (196) within a player's two-career seasons.
Randle El developed St. Brown into an impact player as only a rookie. He finished 2021 with 90 receptions for 912 yards (10.1 avg), both the most for a rookie in Lions history. His 90 catches finished the season for the second-most in the NFL, while he finished fifth amongst rookie in receiving yards. In only his first NFL season, St. Brown had six-straight games with at least eight receptions, the longest streak in team history and the longest for a rookie in NFL history.
During Randle El's tenure in Tampa, Tampa's offense ranked first in passing yards (9,471) and passing touchdowns (75), second in points scored (950), and third in total offense (12,511).
Working primarily with Tampa Bay's wide receivers, he helped WR Mike Evans post consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and guided WR Chris Godwin (1,333) to his first 1,000-yard campaign in 2019. Evans ranked third in the NFL with 21 receiving touchdowns over the 2019-20 seasons and in that same span, Buccaneers wide receivers produced 55 receiving touchdowns, the most by any team's wide receiver corps.

For assistant OC and WR coach …..

Antwaan Randle El enters his third season with the Lions as wide receivers coach in 2023. He joined the Lions in 2021 after spending two seasons (2019-20) as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, helping the team capture Super Bowl LV.
In 2022, Randle El oversaw a prolific wide receiver corps that finished top 10 in receptions (383), receiving yards (4,444), receiving first downs (228), receiving touchdowns (29), receptions of over 25 yards (35) and yards after catch (2,217). Under Randle El's direction, the Lions were one of five teams to have six players record over 350 receiving yards.
Since arriving in Detroit, Randle El has played a critical role in the breakout of Lions 2021 fourth-round draft selection WR Amon-Ra St. Brown. As a second-year pro in 2022, St. Brown earned a Pro Bowl berth as he tied the NFL record for most receptions (196) within a player's two-career seasons.
Randle El developed St. Brown into an impact player as only a rookie. He finished 2021 with 90 receptions for 912 yards (10.1 avg), both the most for a rookie in Lions history. His 90 catches finished the season for the second-most in the NFL, while he finished fifth amongst rookie in receiving yards. In only his first NFL season, St. Brown had six-straight games with at least eight receptions, the longest streak in team history and the longest for a rookie in NFL history.
During Randle El's tenure in Tampa, Tampa's offense ranked first in passing yards (9,471) and passing touchdowns (75), second in points scored (950), and third in total offense (12,511).
Working primarily with Tampa Bay's wide receivers, he helped WR Mike Evans post consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and guided WR Chris Godwin (1,333) to his first 1,000-yard campaign in 2019. Evans ranked third in the NFL with 21 receiving touchdowns over the 2019-20 seasons and in that same span, Buccaneers wide receivers produced 55 receiving touchdowns, the most by any team's wide receiver corps.
Definitely would be an attractive add.

Ever notice that the best players do not make the best coaches? I read a theory on that somewhere a long time ago. The theory is the best players, whatever it was that made them the best, can't quite figure out how to reach players who don't have that quality. They can't quite figure out how to help guys that just don't have whatever that it is. This is a terrible comparison I know, but in high school I was a pretty good discus thrower. I remember trying to teach my brother and later my daughter and getting frustrated because they didn't have the "feel" for it. I just could not teach that or get it across. For Hines Ward it would be that quality would be toughness. You can't teach that, it has to be there, so I do wonder how well he'd do. I can see him getting pretty frustrated, and the room not advancing. Everybody seems to think that these players just need some discipline! Well, they do, of course. But I'm not sure coming in with a hammer on guys who have their ***** kissed since the 8th grade is gonna work. It's my first reaction, too. Hammer these guys! But we are in a different world.

Assuming Randle El is still under contract with the Lions, he would have to be offered a promotion and not a lateral move.

We arent getting ARE... it would have been great if we could have.. but he is probably staying in Detroit. They would likely offer him any promotion we did... he is the heir apparent at OC there and Johnson wont stay again next year

We absolutely need to get a passing game coordinator though

If I was ARE...I would consider a Steeler offer very seriously if one comes along..

I believe Detroit is going to go along the lines of the Falcons, similar to after they blew that huge lead in the Super Bowl.
That totally deflated that organization...and they haven't been right since.

The similarities are uncanny...

Ever notice that the best players do not make the best coaches? I read a theory on that somewhere a long time ago. The theory is the best players, whatever it was that made them the best, can't quite figure out how to reach players who don't have that quality. They can't quite figure out how to help guys that just don't have whatever that it is. This is a terrible comparison I know, but in high school I was a pretty good discus thrower. I remember trying to teach my brother and later my daughter and getting frustrated because they didn't have the "feel" for it. I just could not teach that or get it across. For Hines Ward it would be that quality would be toughness. You can't teach that, it has to be there, so I do wonder how well he'd do. I can see him getting pretty frustrated, and the room not advancing. Everybody seems to think that these players just need some discipline! Well, they do, of course. But I'm not sure coming in with a hammer on guys who have their ***** kissed since the 8th grade is gonna work. It's my first reaction, too. Hammer these guys! But we are in a different world.
Think this mainly applies to guys who are the best by being naturally gifted instinctual players. The greats who worked hard because they were not physically gifted and had to hone their craft and succeed on brains are the stars who make good coaches more often. Example, Ben to me is not a great coaching candidate as he just did what he felt he needed to without really thinking. Tom Brady, ughh, worked his *** off and was the smartest guy on the field, he may make a great coach if his ego would allow it.

Think this mainly applies to guys who are the best by being naturally gifted instinctual players. The greats who worked hard because they were not physically gifted and had to hone their craft and succeed on brains are the stars who make good coaches more often. Example, Ben to me is not a great coaching candidate as he just did what he felt he needed to without really thinking. Tom Brady, ughh, worked his *** off and was the smartest guy on the field, he may make a great coach if his ego would allow it.
I see your point. I think it is an interesting discussion. Let's say it is Ward, who got by on hard work, hustle, toughness and balls maybe more so than pure talent. Now, you put him in a room with George Pickens, who may be as physically blessed as anyone the Steelers have ever had at the position, and that's saying something. How does Ward make someone so physically gifted as Pickens, who everything has probably come fairly easy too, understand the value of hard work, hustle, toughness and balls?

Hey, I'd try it. Do not interpret this as me being against a Hines Ward hire. It's just one of those things that I think some may take as a given it will work. Maybe it will. I think it would be great if it did. I just take a we'll see attitude about it...but I'd do that about any hire.

I see your point. I think it is an interesting discussion. Let's say it is Ward, who got by on hard work, hustle, toughness and balls maybe more so than pure talent. Now, you put him in a room with George Pickens, who may be as physically blessed as anyone the Steelers have ever had at the position, and that's saying something. How does Ward make someone so physically gifted as Pickens, who everything has probably come fairly easy too, understand the value of hard work, hustle, toughness and balls?

Hey, I'd try it. Do not interpret this as me being against a Hines Ward hire. It's just one of those things that I think some may take as a given it will work. Maybe it will. I think it would be great if it did. I just take a we'll see attitude about it...but I'd do that about any hire.
If I’m Hines I appeal to George’s competitive nature, i.e. “You think you’re a great WR? You ain’t ****, I got two Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP mother******, now let’s get to work.”

Last edited:
The OL hhas been crap since Meyer has taken over.
It didn’t help that entire line he started with retired or left within two years and had to start over with some questionable talent. Not making excuses, just sayin’.

We arent getting ARE... it would have been great if we could have.. but he is probably staying in Detroit. They would likely offer him any promotion we did... he is the heir apparent at OC there and Johnson wont stay again next year

We absolutely need to get a passing game coordinator though
Rumors have to start somewhere 🙂🙂 I added the title of assistant OC as well as WR coach so that it’s a step up towards being OC one day. He did interview for OC in Tampa Bay.

Rumors have to start somewhere 🙂🙂 I added the title of assistant OC as well as WR coach so that it’s a step up towards being OC one day. He did interview for OC in Tampa Bay.
The issue is that any title we offer, Detroit likely matches. And what we cant offer is a near surefire OC position coming open after next year, which he probably has in detroit

If I was ARE...I would consider a Steeler offer very seriously if one comes along..

I believe Detroit is going to go along the lines of the Falcons, similar to after they blew that huge lead in the Super Bowl.
That totally deflated that organization...and they haven't been right since.

The similarities are uncanny...
I think the knee cap biters will be more resilient than the dirty birds

After all they got knocked down and Dan already said what they’re gonna do when they get knocked down

If ya playing the Lions next year watch your knees

If I’m Hines I appeal to George’s competitive nature, i.e. “You think you’re a great WR? You ain’t ****, I got two Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP mother******, now let’s get to work.”
And GP replies “I got two natty rings lil fella and more production in 2 years with the likes of Kenny freakin Pickett than you did in 3 years…slow down lil fella”

And then Hines breaks his jaw showing him how to block

ANYone other than Ward as the WR coach would be a huge mistake as Smith's offense requires blocking from the WRs as well as better route-running BOTH of which Hines was not only great at BUT proud of. He could make our group take pride in something they presently don't think is important. He is a former high level player, who young players will respect for their experience, not their position of hierarchy over them.

And GP replies “I got two natty rings lil fella and more production in 2 years with the likes of Kenny freakin Pickett than you did in 3 years…slow down lil fella”

With a smile on his face

We know he taught Juju how to block.